Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clap Hands stamp your feet.....Bang it on a big bass drum..(no more)

All true!

I just meant traditional from a being paid point of view as opposed to just a university grant.

Ah sorry.
It just triggered my 'Virginia Bottomley' fuse which still make me so angry into the present day.
People really need to know the damage she did to the NHS especially in Mental Health and all of her other batshit 'Improvements',

NHS (1990s) was just the same.
Closed wards in a hospital (due to close and be turned into affordable housing for the wealthy) completely redecorated and then left to rot.
Usually the big push began in January.

IIRC the artificial cricket wicket at St George’s Barracks Sutton Coldfield was relaid at vast expense six months before the site closed.

Stabwedge

Clanker
Ah sorry.
It just triggered my 'Virginia Bottomley' fuse which still make me so angry into the present day.
People really need to know the damage she did to the NHS especially in Mental Health and all of her other batshit 'Improvements',
One of my wife’s tutors called the good lady Vagina Bottomley. The tutor was a bit old and doddery so it could have been accidental! Doubt it though.

One of my wife’s tutors called the good lady Vagina Bottomley. The tutor was a bit old and doddery so it could have been accidental! Doubt it though.

We had 'words' at Godalming Railway Station when she was campaigning for the 1997 general election.
I'd just got off the train and she was outside on the concourse.
I had just resigned from the NHS and when she asked me if I would vote for her I told her I would not and gave my reasons why.
It was a bit more boisterous than that but I'll leave it there.
Odious woman.

I used to work at an IT distributor who used to supply BBC micros to 2 education authorities on the south coast.
Every year as the end of year budget date approached we'd get phone calls from both of them asking us to supply a specific amount in money of IT equipment. They weren't particularly worried what it was or even if we could supply it on time as long as they had invoices in by the end of the year to prove they'd spent all of their budget otherwise they'd not get the full amount the following years.
The same system is still very much alive with departmental budgets.

It would be nice to have 'You spent 3/4s of your budget, thanks for saving money, you'll get the same budget next year since you can be trusted not to piss it away' rather than 'You only spent 3/4s of your budget, clearly you don't need all of it'.

NSP

LE
I live in NL (opposite side to Amsterdam) and there have been reports in the papers that, during the shutdown stuff, one can now walk round Amsterdam and hear people speaking in Dutch, rather than hearing only English because of the tourists and foreign bar-workers etc. Last year I asked someone serving me in an Amsterdam cafe to speak Dutch as I can manage that, but it turned out over half the staff couldn't say more than please and thank you, being foreign and doing seasonal work.

The phrase you want is something like "Kunt u alstublieft Engels tegen mij spreken?", being "Can you speak English with me please?". Be aware that if you miss out the n from Kunt (which is "Can you" [forma]) ), it then means what it sounds like in English...

[Edit, forgot my verb inversion, dohhhhh]
I got into the habit of looking perplexed and saying in my poshest English, "I'm terribly sorry; I'm afraid I'm foreign."

At which point they'd switch to perfect English. A fair few of the lasses had a coy smile as I said it, too, proving it is possible to recognise when someone is poking fun at their stereotype even when it is not in your native language.

Note: this was not in Amsterdam!!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I got into the habit of looking perplexed and saying in my poshest English, "I'm terribly sorry; I'm afraid I'm foreign."

At which point they'd switch to perfect English. A fair few of the lasses had a coy smile as I said it, too, proving it is possible to recognise when someone is poking fun at their stereotype even when it is not in your native language.

Note: this was not in Amsterdam!!

There was a butcher's in Sennelager.

If you spoke German to them they replied in English.
Spoke English next time and suddenly they can only speak German

NSP

LE
There was a butcher's in Sennelager.

If you spoke German to them they replied in English.
Spoke English next time and suddenly they can only speak German
I had a good one in Nice railway station. Best schoolboy French, with conspicuously non-French accent: "Bonjour, m'sieur. Je voudrais acheter un billet retourner pour Monte Carlo, s'il vout plait."

"Pardon?"

[Leans in closer to the little grill thing in the glass, speaks a little louder]

"Bonjour, m'sieur. Je voudrais acheter un billet retourner pour Monte Carlo, s'il vout plait."

"Ah, I zink I speak ze English better zan zou speak ze French, sir."

Riiiiiight.

I had a good one in Nice railway station. Best schoolboy French, with conspicuously non-French accent: "Bonjour, m'sieur. Je voudrais acheter un billet retourner pour Monte Carlo, s'il vout plait."

"Pardon?"

[Leans in closer to the little grill thing in the glass, speaks a little louder]

"Bonjour, m'sieur. Je voudrais acheter un billet retourner pour Monte Carlo, s'il vout plait."

"Ah, I zink I speak ze English better zan zou speak ze French, sir."

Riiiiiight.
I trust you replied "Non, monsieur, vous vous trompez."

NSP

LE
I trust you replied "Non, monsieur, vous vous trompez."
No, I vaguely recall I said in strident tones*: "Can I have a day return to Monte Carlo, please...?"

* As in; meekly, as the put-in-his-place muppet abroad.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Clap (your) Hands, stamp your feet

Time to lighten up a bit?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

PFGEN

GCM
They are big into home birthing in nl, i lived there for 5 years and am still sad that I dont have access to their health care system anymore. The NHS is crap by comparison, dangerously so in some cases and massively more expensive.

indeed, she gave birth in hospital because the bits that the MOD paid for didn’t include the full package. They took us in for a 4hr recce/rehearsals before the event though.

Not just home birthing, there are actually birthing hotels and yes that's as bad as it sounds. You check in and listen to fcekin' whale noises for the duration. These are the places where father's are encouraged to participate in the whole process. Then there's the birth at home, often accompanied with a pool and, yep, more whale noises. In the home case you generally get a midwife (obstetrics nurse), in the hotels they have more qualified personnel available should something go wrong and in hospital you get access to the entire menu.

Ex Mrs PF delivered a few as part of her surgical training. Some of the tales were a laugh a minute, usually from the new fathers trying to get the whole shebang on video to show next time the relatives and friends are round for dinner. Think video team, lights tripods and "could you move over a bit so we can get this shot in frame". (Didn't have camera phones back then.) Sometimes followed by the new father passing out as something that looks like it came out of a Ridley Scott film emerges from the depths of the pit. Anyway, back on track the advice from Mrs PF was always go for the hospital option so that in the event of complications everything is on hand.

Well, its not like Dingerr is able to meet Supermatelot in a pub car park and kick him in the bollocks is it.

But, they are getting a tad tedious tbh.
To be fair the same applies to Supermatelot.

We are very fortunate with the Dutch desire to speak English. I’m looking at planning a trip to Holland and was worried about booking a hotel that is suitable for me. Looking in to it, it seems I have no need to worry and was even surprised to find it’s difficult to get a job in Amsterdam if you don’t speak English.

Isn’t the Dutch for “can you speak English” something along The lines of Kunt U spreek je engels?

i really don't fancy attempting that.
There's no problem at all re language in Holland, I had no difficulty in any hotel, bar or restaurant. As has been said before English is the default language. The Dutch are the most delightful friendly people in my experience. I was fortunate to have stayed in a traditional Amsterdam house as a hotel(rather than a chain hotel ) which would be difficult for you of course,but there are many other options available to you - certainly in Amsterdam.

I think I have a solution. Hold the clap for carers & the silence for carers at the same time. That will make the virtue signallers’ heads explode, it would be like telling a Sun reader that illegal immigrants were the natural predators of paedophiles ;)

I think I have a solution. Hold the clap for carers & the silence for carers at the same time. That will make the virtue signallers’ heads explode, it would be like telling a Sun reader that illegal immigrants were the natural predators of paedophiles ;)
Or a Daily Mail reader that Labour governments raise house prices?

Since Clap for Carers is on the way out there should be a replacement. I'm torn between Bonk for Boris and W ank for Workers. I suppose for equality we could have Flick for the Frontline.