Clap for Carers (hopefully) ending

Time for it to fade away. The millions who died in wars across the years are allocated 2 minutes of silence every year and that is appropriate and moving.
When ‘’Clap for Carers’ was first mooted a few months back I posted on one of the Covid threads (God knows which one!) that the Dutch lass needed to work on her tag line - I personally thought it would be laughed out of town and die a death. I should have known better. It was very quickly adopted by the Media and virtue signallers in every town and village across the land and woe betide If you didn’t partake. A good mate of mine, a retired LE Officer, would take to FB at around 2005 every Thursday night, frothing at the mouth that some of his neighbours were not ‘showing enough respect’ by not taking part. Absolute madness. Coupled with the mass of awful YouTube videos that have sprung up everywhere - the Great War gave us poignant Poetry; Covid has given us awful Karaoke and the Clap.
Thank Christ we live out in the sticks, so there was never any peer pressure on us to get involved, although one dick at the other end of the village took to letting a few fireworks off, just to be one up on everyone else, the cretin.
I for one will be glad to see it disappear, but no doubt there will be something equally schmaltzy coming along behind it, to take its place. I hate the way this Country has turned into a collective Mumsnet.
I couldn't agree more. Zero uptake in our rural backwater, and that makes me proud. The need to label people as "Heroes" for doing their job puzzles me.

Time for it to fade away. The millions who died in wars across the years are allocated 2 minutes of silence every year and that is appropriate and moving.
When ‘’Clap for Carers’ was first mooted a few months back I posted on one of the Covid threads (God knows which one!) that the Dutch lass needed to work on her tag line - I personally thought it would be laughed out of town and die a death. I should have known better. It was very quickly adopted by the Media and virtue signallers in every town and village across the land and woe betide If you didn’t partake. A good mate of mine, a retired LE Officer, would take to FB at around 2005 every Thursday night, frothing at the mouth that some of his neighbours were not ‘showing enough respect’ by not taking part. Absolute madness. Coupled with the mass of awful YouTube videos that have sprung up everywhere - the Great War gave us poignant Poetry; Covid has given us awful Karaoke and the Clap.
Thank Christ we live out in the sticks, so there was never any peer pressure on us to get involved, although one dick at the other end of the village took to letting a few fireworks off, just to be one up on everyone else, the cretin.
I for one will be glad to see it disappear, but no doubt there will be something equally schmaltzy coming along behind it, to take its place. I hate the way this Country has turned into a collective Mumsnet.
There will be a covid 19 frontline staff memorial Day and probably a BAME covid day too.
There will be a silence, no doubt someone will want a minute for every frontline worker.
We can all gather (under the covid 19 memorial "voluntold" laws) at the people's glorious frontline worker memorials with its flags of PPE on a rainbow background.
St Tom will be argued about cos on the one hand he did raise a **** ton of money, but on the other he's an elderly white man, extra privileged as he's clearly well off and was in the Army. Worse, he said nice things about the oppressive and evil Boris AND complimented him on the birth of his son.

We need something bigger then covid 19 to take everyone's attention away from it.

Now that Trump fellow seems to have an advisor dressed all in purple...

The closest I've come to clapping on a Thursday night was when I remembered the bins get emptied in the morning so need putting out. I went out the front door to get the bin into the street and a load of people are standing staring at me from across the road. I stare back and nod and say "alright?" then go back in and say to the missus "the fucks going on out there?".
Then I looked at my watch and realised it was 2 minutes past 8, then it clicked.
Ah well.

The closest I've come to clapping on a Thursday night was when I remembered the bins get emptied in the morning so need putting out. I went out the front door to get the bin into the street and a load of people are standing staring at me from across the road. I stare back and nod and say "alright?" then go back in and say to the missus "the fucks going on out there?".
Then I looked at my watch and realised it was 2 minutes past 8, then it clicked.
Ah well.
So it's an 8pm 'Put Your Bins Out' for the NHS then....

Despite my best efforts I have not been able to persuade the neighbourhood to switch to a 'Get Your T@#$ Out' for the NHS night......

"so are you Army or Church?"

Please explain, as we moved into a village 32 years ago, and all i got was a visit from an elderly decrepit local sky pilot, who i chinned off PDQ, as I am a red sea pedestrian ( non practicing) and all organised religion is total bollox!

Late edit:- One of our daughters is a nurse another a care worker, and both have told me that the first time, they were chuffed to Naafi breaks, the second time grateful, and now they find it embarrassing. Me and Mrs Sig done the first two weeks, now we ignore it.

Last edited:
Despite my best efforts I have not been able to persuade the neighbourhood to switch to a 'Get Your T@#$ Out' for the NHS night......
Careful what you wish for!
F4A46902-919D-4AE3-845D-2F5C3D49453A.jpeg

Danatanian

Old-Salt
Ah well.
They could have at least done something useful and taken your bins out for you while they were standing around outside.

People are so selfish these days.

Tongnye

Swinger
I always thought it was a tad OTT. Much like the London Olympics NHS ballet. We sure do put false idols on a pedestal. How about clapping for millions of other people who have stayed at their job, particularly those in daily close contact with the allegedly infected masses such as posties, delivery drivers, supermarket workers, bus drivers and the like. The silent, unappreciated army of workers
Sorry, thought it was going to be a tribute to 28 commonwealth field ambulance RAMC ,stationed in Thailand, wrong type of clap:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

@don't tell him pike Pike get yer licks in. Personally though I draw the line at doing ventriloquist dolls. :?

Howdy Doody Smoke a.jpg
Weird Chick with gap teeth.jpg

Dr Death

War Hero

NSP

LE
Some twat was out giving it a bit of effort at 20:00 this evening. Evidently missed that after a bank holiday everything public sector happens a day late, not a day early.

Latest Threads