Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Clansman vrc 321 surf selector unit

I really don't mean to be rude but WHY? By the way, Selector Unit Radio Frequency, SURF. Most of us thought it was a waste of effort and disconnected it from the system, Theres a fair few of them buried in the Saudi desert.

Yes okay,
I wish i had not bothered now the clansman and the Turf unit were working fine , i just thought in a mad moment it would be a good idea to complete the set up installation with the addition of the Surf.........knew it would be of little use to me indoors. i think its probably a capacitor failed but with no circuit diagram no hope of finding the fault.. thanks for replying..
regards Jim .........

I'm pretty sure it was a money making exercise from days gone by. As a bit of kit it was useless.

Oh sorry, we thought that this is the kind of thing that it is for. Or would you prefer it if we posted dancing frogs in tutu's?

SURF 25W was never designed to be used with 321 & Turf unless in Div/Bde HQ. There i always attenuation loss and SWR with SURF however, due to the QRM filter that the surf provided it was thought that it benefited rather than hindered. A question................why?

Let's keep the fucktard happy. One dancing "frog" in tutu with SURF.

TutuFrenchMaidSURF.jpg
Jeez
that pic's really got my motor running - I've never seen such a pristine TURF

Who's that daft chick in the cozzie?

These threads in the Royal Signals part of this site are ******* boring

Just because you don't understand what is being said, although to be fair the tech spec of SURFs is pretty boring, maybe why you can look forward to working in MacDonalds. Loved your mum by the way.

A SURF is for clowns who cannot be bothered to work out and cut their antennnas to the required lengths.
It was designed to cut down on interference on other bands i.e. a glorified hi/lo pass filter.
Man up - bin the SURF and sort out the wires. Jeez. You'll be trying to tell us that the Royal Sigs can do morse next...Tsk,tsk.

Hi Roadster280

As a slight side not and I quote "If you're making a general purpose HF station, a 12m mast & second TURF would be on my list before a SURF"

So on a full fit 432(or 6 if you insist :)) mounted set up is it possible that a second Turf would have been carried so the 'fixed' one did not need removing to put at the base of the mast when using a 12m mast or would this have been considered a luxury?

Cheers - Don

In my experience its for when you run up your teleprinter next to the regimental 320 - you would only notice you needed one if your net was being wiped out by some antisocial interference from the set next door ;-)