Clansman vrc 321 surf selector unit

I really don't mean to be rude but WHY? By the way, Selector Unit Radio Frequency, SURF. Most of us thought it was a waste of effort and disconnected it from the system, Theres a fair few of them buried in the Saudi desert.

Yes okay,
I wish i had not bothered now the clansman and the Turf unit were working fine , i just thought in a mad moment it would be a good idea to complete the set up installation with the addition of the Surf.........knew it would be of little use to me indoors. i think its probably a capacitor failed but with no circuit diagram no hope of finding the fault.. thanks for replying..
regards Jim .........
I'm pretty sure it was a money making exercise from days gone by. As a bit of kit it was useless.

SURF 25W was never designed to be used with 321 & Turf unless in Div/Bde HQ. There i always attenuation loss and SWR with SURF however, due to the QRM filter that the surf provided it was thought that it benefited rather than hindered. A question................why?

A SURF is for clowns who cannot be bothered to work out and cut their antennnas to the required lengths.
It was designed to cut down on interference on other bands i.e. a glorified hi/lo pass filter.
Man up - bin the SURF and sort out the wires. Jeez. You'll be trying to tell us that the Royal Sigs can do morse next...Tsk,tsk.

Hi Roadster280

As a slight side not and I quote "If you're making a general purpose HF station, a 12m mast & second TURF would be on my list before a SURF"

So on a full fit 432(or 6 if you insist :)) mounted set up is it possible that a second Turf would have been carried so the 'fixed' one did not need removing to put at the base of the mast when using a 12m mast or would this have been considered a luxury?

Cheers - Don

In my experience its for when you run up your teleprinter next to the regimental 320 - you would only notice you needed one if your net was being wiped out by some antisocial interference from the set next door ;-)

Has anyone any idea why the Turf is designated Turf rf 25 watts, when the output power of the rt 321 radio puts out 40 watts on am high power?????? the Surf is labelled 25 watts as well but looking at the coils and other parts a 100 watts would be more appropiate.

Has anyone any idea why the Turf is designated Turf rf 25 watts, when the output power of the rt 321 radio puts out 40 watts on am high power?????? the Surf is labelled 25 watts as well but looking at the coils and other parts a 100 watts would be more appropiate.
RMS. 40/root2=28ish

Question Guys, did the 352 when vehicle mounted and the 353 have TUAAM's (Tuner Unit Automatic Antenna Matching) its been 15 + years, the greay cells are shot

Magic

Latest Threads