Clansman radios

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by hey-up-cheeky, Jun 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,

im currently working in an army recruiting team based in ripon and am trying to sort some "signals" based activities.

i have a few sorted out and when i need the radio kit i need to travel to durham to sign it from the TA centre there.

This causes dramas as with everything in the army we are given fastball jobs and the TA centre require at least 2 weeks notice for there kit, as they are using it alot on exercises.

i have looked at locally purchasing kit ( 349 radios and 351 radios all with ancills) - these will cost - 349 + ancills £125 per unit, 351 +ancills £175 per unit.

I would like to be able to get hold of 10 x 349 units and 5 x 351 units with ancills and batteries.

i really dont think my unit should have to pay a civilian company these prices when the army must have at some point sold them on to them at a fraction of the cost.

somebody somewhere must know of some kit that hardly gets used and needs backloading, gathering dust in some store somewhere.

if so please let me know and ill do my best to get this kit !

i will travel anywhere in the uk to collect the kit so there is no effort required by the holding unit to do a thing.

thanks for your help

2. Try contacting your local cadet unit as each county has an allocatin of clansman kit, mainly 349s and 320s.

3. Cheers,

but what im really after is either long term signing the kit off someone, or getting it put straight over to our account, so we have the kit availiable whenever we need it.

4. Get in touch with the EM, not sure how to or who, but start by asking the TA unit you originally approached. Someone somewhere will be in charge of this stuff. You may be able to get the kit full time.

I'll see if I can find out who it is on Monday.

5. I know where you are coming from with the Clansman problems.
    We had all our kit removed about a year or so ago, and not replaced. So I've been sourcing kit from all sorts of places. I now have the radio's (352's) but haven't got a charging unit to charge the batteries.
    It's the same old story, where someone on the bean counter side decides to make a quick buck without thinking about the consequences.

Good luck and if you get a load of kit and there's a spare battery charger for 351/352 batteries, I'll do you some swaps!!

6. h-u-c,

PM me. I have the name and contact details of the bloke in Blandford who has a load of 349s and 320s for the ARTs.

Your ART should've had an email from SORLS earlier this year offering up kit.

SS

7. Oh dear, the black economy still exists...

If you need the kit to complete your mission, your Boss should be hitting his boss for the authority to demand it through the Stores system, and the kit should be on your Equipment Table.

Yes, you can probably buy Clansman radios from ArmySurplus.com but how will you support them when they break (and this stuff is now >25 yrs old)? With Bowman well down the road to full deployment, I doubt that REME still has a Clansman repair capability or, indeed, the knowledge to repair the kit. If the stuff breaks, it stays broken until you find a wodge of cash to fix it - and in today's world that is unlikely. How about User training? Or User publications? Does ArmySurplus.com do those too?

HQ Recruiting Group should resolve this for you. If they can't, or won't, then abandon the plan.

I drafted this and then realised that, in the darker recesses of my memory, I am certain that the Recruiting Teams were formed "at risk" some 3-5 years ago. Are they still "black economy" or have they been formally established?

Litotes

8. A couple of lads I know have been posted/assigned to my Corps team in the last few years, so ours is established (apparently).

9. msr

msr LE

Someone is pulling your plonker. You have run into some particularly lazy regular / permanent staff.

If you need it during the week there should be no problem at all getting hold of it at nigh on zero notice. Just speak to the QM.

Will PRR do instead?

msr

10. Not a useful combat indicator, I am afraid. The black economy works best when it is well hidden; the posting order says one thing and the OC tells you that you are attached somewhere else.

Been there, done it and have the scars and t-shirts!

Litotes

11. Posted to: The Royal Signals Recruiting Team, Blandford Garrison.

A good combat indicator to me mate :wink:

12. ...and the UIN is...?

Lits

13. like fcuk are they. you're going to the wrong people.

PM me.

i had 8 VRC353s with ARFATs TUAAMs PDBs whips and a DMU for about £50.

yes they'd been sat in the rain a while but hey.

14. get yourself a DCCU for about £20 and use a laptop charger as the transformer.

works fine we use both 13A laptop charger and a car one and they both work fine with the DCCU.

15. and I suppose, 3rd post...

for recruitment purposes we've been known to use civvy motorolas carefully decorated with DPM tape (£4 a roll or something). the kids don't know the difference anyway.

half the problem with training with 349s is yes they don't work half the time and we end up trying to tell them how awesome the Royal Signals are despite the fact that the radios don't work... which is difficult. especially with an Inf stand next door with laser-firing SA80s and a climbing wall.