Clansman 320 radio

Just got a 320 to play with, does anyone know if there was a lot of failures in the field on these units ?? if so what was the main fault.....surprised the 24 volt battery pack is still good.........
Jim..........

Brilliant bit of kit. Used HF as primary comms for 11 years. 320s more reliable than not, nearly all faults found on monthly checks so no very few failures in the field.

I know of a soldier that once left one up a tor though.
" I thought you'd picked that up Cpl B".

"No Staff, that was your bit of kit, on your stand, that you were stripping out and bringing back to the CV".

"Oh bollocks".

Always wondered why Kenya ex was supported by a 322 det, 1 fullscrew crypto custodian, 2 siggys and a raf person, passing live traffic to cyprus via morse ffs. I never sent so many zbm2s. Cyprus akrotiri were using the link as a training ex. Went to OCs meeting as the det comd, fullscrew was off touching animals. 'your quiet signaller, stand up and tell us how we can help' no messages would be nice sir. 4 ******* pages of utter shite that night.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You've got it wrong :)

It's ZBM2. It's a directive, not an interrogatory, so no INT required. I'd interpret INT ZBM2 as "have you put a competent operator on the set?" rather than "put a competent operator on the set". Which is worse, I suppose :)
TY.. i knew it was wrong..... but..... I did INT QRM 555 KK for Bob C as a text-tone.... him being an old E tech.

You've got it wrong :)

It's ZBM2. It's a directive, not an interrogatory, so no INT required. I'd interpret INT ZBM2 as "have you put a competent operator on the set?" rather than "put a competent operator on the set". Which is worse, I suppose :)
Thanks.... it just didn't feel right... but it's being a looooooong time and I re-traded as tech.... which was a punishisment and a half went they sent me to Brigade, THEN they found not only do I do RR stuff, I can do HF/VHF....and the manpower moriatoriam was on....

I had to witness the crypto destruction, the det comd deamed me responsible enough to witness the destruction of material that I wasnt allowed to look at. Our cw link was definately unclass, we had no crypto capability, definately no kit. I suppose whatever he held could have encrypted anything into 5 figure groups

Most common fault were the small screws that hold the PCB becoming loose and rattling around and shorting contacts.
Especially when the radio was used in clip-in.

If you need disassembly instructions let me know.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I own one to use as a Ham Op, its bloody brilliant [if a bit heavy!] my uncle who did 20 years in the RHA swore by them, he once worked on a comms relay from SA [i think?] to rebro in Cyprus back to the UK. Worked like a charm apparently.
His stories about being taught how to send morse are hilarious with the limp wristed visual demo! he boxed for his RGT and could still drink for his country should the need arise....14 pints of the black stuff and then half a bottle of Cypriot Brandy [a wine best avoided!!!] and he didnt even blink, i was bladdered! drove the porcelain bus into the night...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bollock-chops Old & Bold 14
polar Royal Signals 13
junior_RLC Royal Signals 6