Claiming VAT back for a BFPO address.

As you suggest, Transparency!

Local Procedures are in place to stop, where possible! People trying to Buck the system, But! History is full of tales of Buckers! “Tax free cars arriving in the East (not Essex!) with factory fitted installed EXTRAS which No European would order!!

All systems have loopholes, there always seems to be those so minded as to figure out what they are and exploit them.

Coinage and the DM vs. 5p piece springs to mind at the less sophisticated end of the scale with tax fraud via BAOR imports for the more serious minded. The former might have developed to become sawn off shotgun bank robbers and the latter into bankers.

IIRC Cyprus was never VAT free. Long before Amazon, people used to buy stuff when back in the UK, ask for the export forms and fill them in. You then had to declare the goods to SBA customs and pay local VAT. Some people didn’t and got caught...
You recall correctly, however under EU regulations you only pay VAT in one place. People have been bluffing Amazon ito paying VAT back. Now they can do it legally.

Ok, never really ventured outside of UK and BAOR for any length of time to see any difference. It all seemed quite transparent in BAOR.

It's all changed post-1 Jan 21. BFPO is having all sorts of problems delivering to Europe. The thing that's really hacking people off is the BFPO excuse (we had their head shed on a VTC last week) that the sender should know that they're now sending to a location in the EU, so should be filling out Customs forms, despite the whole point of BFPO being that its to an anonymous UK address. In my location we're waiting for post that was sent from the UK in mid-Dec 20. BFPO can also not confirm that items sent before 31 Dec 20 but delivered after 1 Jan 21 aren't being subject to the new requirements, despite those requirements not having been in force at the time the item was sent.:mad:

It's all changed post-1 Jan 21. BFPO is having all sorts of problems delivering to Europe. The thing that's really hacking people off is the BFPO excuse (we had their head shed on a VTC last week) that the sender should know that they're now sending to a location in the EU, so should be filling out Customs forms, despite the whole point of BFPO being that its to an anonymous UK address. In my location we're waiting for post that was sent from the UK in mid-Dec 20. BFPO can also not confirm that items sent before 31 Dec 20 but delivered after 1 Jan 21 aren't being subject to the new requirements, despite those requirements not having been in force at the time the item was sent.:mad:
Pretty sure everyone was supposed to be prepared for Brexit...one job

They deserve to go bust. Darwin should have studied business owners....

You'd think wouldn't you.

They actually blather on about export on their website, please contact for shipping information. So I did, and received a PUFFO in return. Now is the time to be strengthening export links not sitting on their arsse's wondering which way the world is going to turn, and hoping BREXIT was really a dream.

Note: For those who don't know: PUFFO = Please f**k off

You'd think wouldn't you.

They actually blather on about export on their website, please contact for shipping information. So I did, and received a PUFFO in return. Now is the time to be strengthening export links not sitting on their arsse's wondering which way the world is going to turn, and hoping BREXIT was really a dream.

Note: For those who don't know: PUFFO = Please f**k off
I reckon they're subject to the cutbacks that everyone else faces, and MOD won't care they've outsourced it. I understand the US version is pretty effective.

I have purchased something from a third party seller (UK based) via Amazon and delivered to a BFPO outside of the EU.

The usual sketch when ordering from Amazon direct is to email Amazon with the order numbers and they refund the VAT within a couple of days. This is the first time I've ordered through a third party seller so when I emailed Amazon they directed me to contact the seller. The seller informed me they would be unable to refund the VAT with no further reason given but they did provide me with a VAT invoice.

Having done some Googling and looking around the Government website, I'm led to believe that the VAT should have been removed at point of purchase by the seller. Is that correct or do I have a reclaim form to fill out if there is such a thing (and which one, the Govt website has many, many forms)?

Any help gratefully received and I'll be sure to pass the information on to the other troops, even if the lesson learnt is to always order directly from Amazon.
How much are you talking about?

How much are you talking about?

Here is a question for you: Is it any big deal doing the paperwork for an export, is it a tick/click the box exercise on a piece of accounting software, or is there more involved?

964ST

LE
All systems have loopholes, there always seems to be those so minded as to figure out what they are and exploit them.

Coinage and the DM vs. 5p piece springs to mind at the less sophisticated end of the scale with tax fraud via BAOR imports for the more serious minded. The former might have developed to become sawn off shotgun bank robbers and the latter into bankers.
Just shy of £80 in VAT for this item.
That is a lot of Wife Beater! (Stella)

Here is a question for you: Is it any big deal doing the paperwork for an export, is it a tick/click the box exercise on a piece of accounting software, or is there more involved?
It's changed now for dealing with Europe , pre Brexit it was easy , just post it, although when importing one German company always charged me vat unless the order was over 500 euro even though I'm vat registered, they never did a give comprehensible reason, post Brexit I've not imported yet, I do need to get an EORI number first if my accountant hasn't sorted it. In the UK I use interparcel.com for regular items, best prices .

Latest Threads