Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Claiming VAT back for a BFPO address.

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
I have purchased something from a third party seller (UK based) via Amazon and delivered to a BFPO outside of the EU.

The usual sketch when ordering from Amazon direct is to email Amazon with the order numbers and they refund the VAT within a couple of days. This is the first time I've ordered through a third party seller so when I emailed Amazon they directed me to contact the seller. The seller informed me they would be unable to refund the VAT with no further reason given but they did provide me with a VAT invoice.

Having done some Googling and looking around the Government website, I'm led to believe that the VAT should have been removed at point of purchase by the seller. Is that correct or do I have a reclaim form to fill out if there is such a thing (and which one, the Govt website has many, many forms)?

Any help gratefully received and I'll be sure to pass the information on to the other troops, even if the lesson learnt is to always order directly from Amazon.

RTU'd

War Hero
A third party may have to pay taxes from sending to delivery to you.
Where as Amazon will soften the liability by claiming it back themselves.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Depends on the product in question, and it's intended use, and destination country. Could be eligible for VAT zero rating but need more info :)

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt

From your link:

4.10 Supplies to the Ministry of Defence overseas military establishments​

The Ministry of Defence is registered for VAT in the UK and all supplies to them, or to any military establishment in the UK on their behalf, should include VAT at the appropriate rate.

Direct exports to military and similar establishments outside the UK may be zero-rated provided you comply with the conditions set out in this notice. See paragraphs 4.11 and 10.7 for more information.

Para 4.11 is N/A as that is for PRI goods and para 10.7 is also N/A as it is regarding Mess supplies to HM Ships.

So as I understand it now, given the goods are for personal use it would not be eligible for a VAT refund?

Thanks for all replies.

From your link:

Para 4.11 is N/A as that is for PRI goods and para 10.7 is also N/A as it is regarding Mess supplies to HM Ships.

So as I understand it now, given the goods are for personal use it would not be eligible for a VAT refund?

Thanks for all replies.

Can I suggest a call to the VAT helpline.

I never paid VAT on anything going to a BFPO, and I have never paid VAT on anything coming over to the US.

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
Can I suggest a call to the VAT helpline.

I never paid VAT on anything going to a BFPO, and I have never paid VAT on anything coming over to the US.
Yeah this is where it's confused me as I've never paid VAT on anything in the BFG days (before Amazon) and having ordered everything through Amazon out here this is the first time something non standard has come up (probably the first time I've ordered via 3rd party without checking), surely can't be Brexit related as BFPO 11 has never been in the EU?

Thanks for your help though.

Yeah this is where it's confused me as I've never paid VAT on anything in the BFG days (before Amazon) and having ordered everything through Amazon out here this is the first time something non standard has come up (probably the first time I've ordered via 3rd party without checking), surely can't be Brexit related as BFPO 11 has never been in the EU?

I had an interesting reply from a trader in the UK last week. Basically, "I'm sorry we are not exporting anything at the moment because of BREXIT."

Seriously, how's that going to work out for them?

I had an interesting reply from a trader in the UK last week. Basically, "I'm sorry we are not exporting anything at the moment because of BREXIT."

Seriously, how's that going to work out for them?
They deserve to go bust. Darwin should have studied business owners....

It is Brexit related. Cyprus has the largest grouping of people within BFPO (I think) and Brexit has caused all sorts of VAT related issues. Most seemed to have been work through now, or given up on due to the volume of stuff coming through. Interestingly anyone that has been claiming VAT back on Amazon orders prior to Brexit has been doing so fraudulently. The Falklands was another interesting one as the stop over in ASI meant that goods weren't eligible for VAT either.

Isn't the fundamental position on BFPO Forces personnel (serving and families) s is that for all intents and purposes as far as UK tax, residency etc. purposes they are treated as part of the UK?

If so then same rules in this case I guess. Would you have paid VAT to get the item into the mainland then you are liable for the same for a BFPO.

Isn't the fundamental position on BFPO Forces personnel (serving and families) s is that for all intents and purposes as far as UK tax, residency etc. purposes they are treated as part of the UK?

If so then same rules in this case I guess. Would you have paid VAT to get the item into the mainland then you are liable for the same for a BFPO.
Everything is on local agreement. Our families have stats stamps in Cyprus allowing them to live here. No doubt Brexit will change this slightly as non-EU citizens are time limited here.

Ok, never really ventured outside of UK and BAOR for any length of time to see any difference. It all seemed quite transparent in BAOR.

964ST

War Hero
Ok, never really ventured outside of UK and BAOR for any length of time to see any difference. It all seemed quite transparent in BAOR.
As you suggest, Transparency!

Local Procedures are in place to stop, where possible! People trying to Buck the system, But! History is full of tales of Buckers! “Tax free cars arriving in the East (not Essex!) with factory fitted installed EXTRAS which No European would order!!

It is Brexit related. Cyprus has the largest grouping of people within BFPO (I think) and Brexit has caused all sorts of VAT related issues. Most seemed to have been work through now, or given up on due to the volume of stuff coming through. Interestingly anyone that has been claiming VAT back on Amazon orders prior to Brexit has been doing so fraudulently. The Falklands was another interesting one as the stop over in ASI meant that goods weren't eligible for VAT either.
IIRC Cyprus was never VAT free. Long before Amazon, people used to buy stuff when back in the UK, ask for the export forms and fill them in. You then had to declare the goods to SBA customs and pay local VAT. Some people didn’t and got caught...

Latest Threads