Claiming Tax back on posting abroad.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Flying Felix, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

    I'm posted to Canada for a couple of years and to celebrate I've decided to buy myself a new rifle. :lol:

    Now, can I claim the VAT back on the rifle as I will get it a few days before I go and it's going out of the country?

    If I can, how do I claim it back?

  2. No.

    It has to be bought in the tax-free country (i.e. exported there at the point of sale).

    If it were otherwise, then where would the cut-off point be. I could get posted abroad and claim the tax back on everything I had bought (insert ficticious/borrowed receipts here), for the past week, 6 months, 2 years or whatever.

    Slightly different for cars - but only where the dealer and the tax officer agree.
  3. Don't waste your money. One of the guys that will be working for you is big into his hunting and will point you in the right direction. Tax over here is only 6%, so you won't be getting ripped off. Hunting rules are conveluted, so you could end-up purchasing a rifle that you can't use. Get caught breaking the rules and you lose your weapons, your vehicle and get a hefty fine.

    I also hope you have plenty of spare cash as hunting tags will cost you a fortune being a foreigner and you won't get anything decent like moose, white tails will be your most likely prey.