Claiming BSA

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by dismas, Jan 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have just claimed BSA at the junior rate £3962, this is the amount I put into JPA and have been paid £3565 which is 10% less than I thought I was entitled to.

I understand you have to pay at least 10% of the fees but the fees are close to £5000 and I have already paid nearly £900 myself.

Have I cocked up on JPA or is the allowance £3962 minus 10% which is stupid the allowance should then be £3565.

Many thanks to anyone who can answer this.

2. It sounds like you've cocked up the input of the claim, phone the the helpline number for guidance.

3. Paymaster very quickly is the amount I can actually claim £3962.

Thanks

4. Thread hijack!!

Is there anywhere online (www) with rules / reg's written down about BSA?

5. Psst, I don't think it's called BSA anymore, but what would I know. I'm still on leave and have no kids, so don't actually care.

6. OK by far not an expert and had a drink or two, bit its called CEA, you have to pay 10% of the fee upto the set limit & the big thing is input the full amount on JPA orsomething close to.

7. Yup, CEA (Continuity of Education Allowance)

8. Do JPAC deduct the 10% or does the claimant?

Regards

LJS

9. Oh good and thanks, we have an Officer who has been deducting 10% from his own claims (since 04/07, due to a non understanding of the system this has not been picked up before), which is always under the £5111 threshold, as well as JPAC deducting 10%, however, other claims far exceed the caped rate and they recieve the caped rate (£5111), I take it that this is the same as SLC whereby if the total cost is over the caped amount they recieve the caped amount, and if under they recieve the 80% of the total?

We have I Suported this for a solution to facilitate the officers refund.

10. Surely this was made perfectly clear in a BPG somewhere!! --Not!

PW

11. PW - quite right, BPG...NOT, it does not make it clear anywhere, we were always "under the belief" that JPAC deducted from the claim, therefore, no questions were asked, we only recently saw an Op Bulitin telling us that we must see reciepts, yes reciepts, before authorising CEA claims, who has, sometimes in excess of £20,000, that kind of cash to obtain reciepts, so we are using invoices in conjunction with last terms reciepts, clearly they will have an indate mobility and a birth cert otherwise the system will not let them claim.

I am on rocky ground with this having never dealt with CEA or BSA and the JSP does not clarify any of the above, neither does the BPG, unless I am missing something.

12. PW - Is the following correct then?

I take it that this is the same as SLC whereby if the total cost is over the caped amount they recieve the caped amount, and if under they recieve the 80% of the total?

Regards

LJS

13. LJS I believe you are correct but will confirm tomorrow on my return to work. 8O

You are correct the JPAC certainly deduct the % in terms of CEA and SLC as we have learned to our cost.

Jockster

14. LJS & Jockster - I will also have a shufty tomorrow once back in work (can't wait!!)

PW