Claiming back Tax

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by El_Pato, Nov 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Stupid question I know, but has anyone tried claiming tax back after a tour recently. I know you aren't supposed to, but by the end of all this I will be working in UK for less than 2 months of the financial year.

    Naive I know but I am sure that this is an ongoing question.

  2. chimera

    chimera LE Moderator

    Yup, you're right.

    Stupid question.

    You cant.
  3. Try it and come back on and tell us how long it was before your attempt was rejected. Classed as in UK when posted abroad or on ops.

    Only time not classed as in UK is when you are trying to claim British passport and you are knocked back because you have been out of country due to op tour in the sand.

    Commonly known as double standards!!
  4. Even if you were working in a civvy job you have to be away for an entire tax year to claim tax-free status. Some time in UK is allowed, but not if you come back and stay.
  5. Just had a tax questionaire (today) and they want to know why my wife was out of the country since 1997 and why she did not pay tax !!! She was working for Service Childrens Education in JHQ for the past 7 years - now lets see what the taxman says about that ! :roll:
  6. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    "They" work on the basis that you have to pay tax somewhere. If you're paid by the UK Govt, they'll take the tax off of you quite happily. If you've been on tour, and paid tax to the government of the place where you've been on tour then you might be able to go about making a claim. You'll find more guff at Go to the bit about individuals and tax and look at how non residents avoid being taxed twice. I wouldn't hold your breath though.
  7. I once did over a year overseas without stepping foot in the UK but as a Crown Servant I got knocked back by the IR for a tax rebate. I tried two tacks. The link is not related to my claim but the response is standard.

    The response above is typical of New Labour and it is b0llocks. There are exemptions to the Crown Servants rule and the exemptions should be extended.
    Rebates? Think of the benefits for morale, recruitment and retention! Perish the thought, there may even be enthusiasim in the Armed Forces for Blair's crusades with reservists eager to go too!

    New Labour? Think? :evil:
  8. Another way to fox the tax man...

    A Royal Marine last year showed me his tax return where he had clained relief against haircuts, shoe polish, trainers and sports kit, saying all were required of his job but not provided. It worked, and he got nearly £350 tax relief. I tried similar this year with the same result.

    Also, I believe you can claim tax allowance against mma claims at the public rate, although have not tried this one. Anyone else got any good (legal) tax avoidance ideas?
  9. I managed to get back over £200 on the difference between MMA and the IR allowed rate. If you cover a reasonable amount of milage in your own car then it is well worth claiming this back.
  10. I do a 90 mile a day round trip from my quarter to my place of work, how do you claim this tax back?
  11. Filbert,

    Sadly you can't claim anything back. Your journey is 'commuting' and does not attract any tax perks. You should be getting RPOD - this is the MOD recognizing that you must commute due to your individual circumstances - this is all that you are likely to be able to get

    Sorry not to be positive.

  12. I get a stupid amount of RPoD (but need it due to Bliars war on Terror keeping the oil prices up), but doesnt help when it brings the need for getting your car serviced to keep the warranty valid round at light speed.