Claiming back credit card fees

I've been informed that I can't claim back fees incurred by using my credit card abroad to pay subsistence costs. Basically it cost me me £50 to pay for my hotel. The reason given, is that I could have had an advance and paid cash.
I don't think travelling through several cities with £3000 worth of foreign currency in my sky rocket is a good idea. Has anyone got previous on this?

The 2 x paras extracted from 752 below would indicate that these are 'necessary personal expenditure'. If JPAC won't accept then put in an SC.

The aim of subsistence is to reimburse actual allowable subsistence expenditure within MOD limits. Subsistence expenses are defined as prepared food, drink, necessary personal expenditure and temporary accommodation expenses incurred when travelling on duty.

NS is the re-imbursement of actual expenditure, supported by receipts (paragraph 04.0303), up to NS limits (see paragraph 05.0108), for costs necessarily incurred for overnight accommodation, food and drink during absence on duty from the permanent or temporary assignment station.

The 2 x paras extracted from 752 below would indicate that these are 'necessary personal expenditure'. If JPAC won't accept then put in an SC.

The aim of subsistence is to reimburse actual allowable subsistence expenditure within MOD limits. Subsistence expenses are defined as prepared food, drink, necessary personal expenditure and temporary accommodation expenses incurred when travelling on duty.

NS is the re-imbursement of actual expenditure, supported by receipts (paragraph 04.0303), up to NS limits (see paragraph 05.0108), for costs necessarily incurred for overnight accommodation, food and drink during absence on duty from the permanent or temporary assignment station.
"09.0304. Refund Entitlements. A refund may be claimed when foreign currency and/or traveller’s cheques purchased from or redeemed at a commercial source, inclusive of any commission costs, result in a Service person obtaining a worse rate of exchange than the FFR of exchange. The FFR that should be used is the one that was in force for the foreign currency and/or traveller’s cheques on the day that they were purchased or redeemed by the Service person. Where there is no FFR for the temporary duty country, the General Accounting Rate (GAR) is to be used. An example of when a refund can be claimed is a follows:

A Service person proceeds on a temporary duty journey from UK to the USA and has a requirement to use commercial messing and accommodation facilities throughout the duty. In preparation for this expense, the Service person purchases $800 at an exchange rate of $1.48 to £1 plus a 1% commission charge. The cost of the commercial transaction was £545.95 ($800 at $1.48 equals £540.54 plus 1% charge of £5.41), whereas the cost through the Service would have been £533.33 ($800 at a FFR rate of $1.50 to £1). The Service person has therefore incurred additional expenditure of £12.62 which will be refunded. If the same Service person
has US Dollars remaining at the end of the duty journey and further costs are incurred to exchange these back to Sterling, these costs may also be claimed."

The more I look at it, we were given duff info.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
The army's system of pay and allowances so complicated no one fully understands it? Shocker...

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I claim back credit card and non sterling transaction fees very often as like you have I travel overseas and use credit cards. Basically I put all my T&S expenses on one card I have for that sole purpose and I've never had any claims rejected.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
How does one claim expenses without JPA access? Asking for a friend...

jg505

Clanker
I see the JSPs are still as ambiguous as ever.

I don't think it's within the spirit of the JSP to expect you to claim an advance of such a large amount. Also, and unless things have changed, I remember you could only claim an advance of up to 80%. Additionally, IAW the paragraph above, to pay in cash would have incurred commission charges; so have you saved commission charges by paying on a credit card?

As mentioned above, I would certainly submit a SC, what have you got to lose?

Best of luck.

jg505

Clanker
How does one claim expenses without JPA access? Asking for a friend...
If I remember correctly, for personnel who didn't have JPA access, there was a form you could submit directly to the JPAC. This may have changed in the 6 years I've been retired though.

The army's system of pay and allowances so complicated no one fully understands it? Shocker...
It's been joint for about 15 years. I retired last summer and had no problems claiming back currency exchange or credit card charges. I travelled to the ME and Africa on duty every other month. Eventually I got fed up with the hassle and managed to get a GPC, though reconciling every receipt at the end of every month is a bit of a pain.

Last edited:

halloumikid

Old-Salt
It's been joint for about 15 years. I retired last summer and had no problems claiming back currency exchange or credit card charges. I travelled to the ME and Africa on duty every other month. Eventually I got fed up with the hassle and managed to get a GPC, though reconciling every receipt at the end of every month.
I alway use my Halifax Clarity card when abroad on duty. It converts at that moment of purchase to Sterling. Never had a problem with claiming it back. It seems your admin staff are being particularly obtuse and difficult. I would ask the RAO how is he/she ensuring the CoC‘s Duty of Care by setting you up as a target for theft or exploitation in a foreign country with large amounts of cash?
Halloumikid

would ask the RAO how is he/she ensuring the CoC‘s Duty of Care by setting you up as a target for theft or exploitation in a foreign country with large amounts of cash?
Halloumikid
Whilst I absolutely agree, where’s the policy supporting your assertion? It exists for the staff processing the cash eg no more than £1500 in cash in the safe but not the recipient of said cash.

I claim back credit card and non sterling transaction fees very often as like you have I travel overseas and use credit cards. Basically I put all my T&S expenses on one card I have for that sole purpose and I've never had any claims rejected.
Revolut is the way forward for payments. Really good interface to go back over the spends as well.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Revolut is the way forward for payments. Really good interface to go back over the spends as well.
It might be but I use one credit card and it has a raft of other perks too, all its no annual fee. Win win for me.

I am told that this coming FY MoD will start to pre-pay for all hotel accommodation. Not seen that in writing but heard from two sources.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Whilst I absolutely agree, where’s the policy supporting your assertion? It exists for the staff processing the cash eg no more than £1500 in cash in the safe but not the recipient of said cash.
I’ll have a look at other regulations when back in work on Monday. JSP tennis is one route but others include:

Speak to your USyO. Their remit also includes physical security, including personnel, also when deployed.

A phone call to your local Int and Sy Sect. They will have a view given money, foreign climes and the threat.

Engage with the Bde SO2 SPS. He can unblock unit SPS hysteria.

Halloumikid.

I've been informed that I can't claim back fees incurred by using my credit card abroad to pay subsistence costs. Basically it cost me me £50 to pay for my hotel. The reason given, is that I could have had an advance and paid cash.
I don't think travelling through several cities with £3000 worth of foreign currency in my sky rocket is a good idea. Has anyone got previous on this?
I always claim back the fees and have never had the claim rejected.

dan_brown

War Hero
Halifax Clarity card
Revolut
Monzo

I use these for both personal and work when overseas.

WRT the claim, is it a credit card fee or £50 due to a crap exchange rate?

If a fee, then your Unit are been a bit pedantic and tight, but if it's a crap exchange rate then there is a specific dropdown on JPA that is exactly for the purpose of claiming back the difference between high street bought currency and the FFR - and i've used it many times with no issues.

As for the advance of pay, only up to 80% of monthly wage and i too wouldn't want to be carrying around a significant sum in cash.

Halifax Clarity card
Revolut
Monzo

I use these for both personal and work when overseas.

WRT the claim, is it a credit card fee or £50 due to a crap exchange rate?

If a fee, then your Unit are been a bit pedantic and tight, but if it's a crap exchange rate then there is a specific dropdown on JPA that is exactly for the purpose of claiming back the difference between high street bought currency and the FFR - and i've used it many times with no issues.

As for the advance of pay, only up to 80% of monthly wage and i too wouldn't want to be carrying around a significant sum in cash.
It was the credit card fee. The difference between FFR and exchange rate was pennies. I think we asked the wrong person who then sought advice from another wrong person.

Latest Threads