Claim back through taxes

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by gennithmedic, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Is it possible for UK forces to claim back the cost of privately aquired kit via the magic of taxes.
    Civilians can claim back for stuff like petrol, surely we should be able to do likewise? If only to give the pay clerks something to do.
  2. just a quick question what would a pay clerk being doing your taxes for?
  3. Apart from the fact that your taxes are nothing to do with your Clerk, is there anything you actually NEED to buy to do your job (Apart from boot polish - and that has been done to death). As far as I can see pretty much anything I NEED to have to do my job is supplied. If you don't like what is supplied then tough, it is your own lookout.
  4. Pedantic strokers. Alright pay clerk, Glasgow, some bird down the bank whatevvah. Just to save me the nause of doing the form filling.
    You can tell when an ARRSEr is spouting forth. He deploys BLOCK CAPITALS. The MoD does supply the adequate. But I want to have the best. I'm fed up of watching the heels fall off my Meindls, waiting until Lowas arrive. I don't want my face ripped off by the plate in Osprey, or put up with wearing the piece of shat. I know a shop that is happy to sell me Altbergs and Paraclete. If I am forced to pay my taxes, when on active service overses, then how about claiming the cost of being equipped properly.
    If you know anyone who runs his own business, and watched them running round after petrol station receipts, you will know where I'm coming from.
  5. "wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the purposes of your trade" will (I think) be the problem. Particularly "necessarily", although there is a bucket of case law that complicates the whole thing massively. "Exclusively" is also a pretty fluid notion. They won't want to establish a precedent, though. I'm sure actors and newsreaders claim for clothes, though.
  6. boot polish isn't supplied...neither is an iron, or mess dress. Underpants never used to be supplied (now we get the combat pants, but only 3 pairs and only when deploying). Coat hangers, they are not supplied and you need them.

    So there legs :wink:
  7. Officers get £500 tax allowance odd for the upkeep of privately bought uniform - not sure on the figure and cant find my pay statement. Also, when I was wearing civvies I claimed £900 a year tax allowance (the measly civilian clothing allowance the army pay you is for upkeep, not purchase of clothing).

    There is absolutely no reason why you cannot claim expenses for any clothing etc that you purchase throughout the year if it is bought for your work. You may be hard pushed to claim for uniform though as you are supplied with it, although an explanatory letter attached to your tax return may work. Give it a go and let us all know the answer.
  8. No need, you will get this reply: No deduction can be permitted for the cost of upkeep, replacement and repair of ordinary clothing. In the case of Ward v Dunn (52TC517) a surveyor was not permitted a deduction for the cost of wear and tear and cleaning his clothing, even though the nature of his job put him to abnormally large expense in this respect. The costs were not incurred wholly and exclusively in the performance of his duties, see EIM31660.
    EIM 31660 refers to this rule:

    EIM31660 - The general rule for employees’ expenses: wholly and exclusively
    To be deductible from the earnings of an employment an expense must be incurred wholly and exclusively in the performance of the duties of the employment. The words "wholly" and "exclusively" prevent a deduction for expenditure that serves a dual purpose, a business purpose and a non-business purpose. The wholly and exclusively rule does not apply to travel expenses, see EIM31805.

    An example of dual purpose expenditure is money spent on ordinary clothing that is worn at work. Clothing that is worn both in work and out of work obviously has a dual purpose and so no deduction is allowed. However, even if the clothing is only worn at work no deduction is allowed. This is because at one and the same time the clothing has the purpose of providing cover and comfort to the employee as well as the purpose of being suitable for work, see EIM31663.

    I go through about 2-3 suits a year at an average cost of about £400 a shot, my union has negotiated £165 pounds per year allowance which is added to my personal allowance in lieu of HMRC saying "sod off" on my tax return.
  9. Just to muddy the waters; you can get shoe polish issued. After 17 years of buying it I feel like I've won the lottery after being issued a tin of black polish. Granted it's Cherry Blossom, but it's good enough for work boots.

    You can get it through ET expense, but is a well kept secret. I found it whilst doing 'random' duty officer checks. My Regt only had 10 tins (9 now), so the secret was obviously well guarded.

    Next stage is free the Kiwi!!!
  10. hmm

    Boot polish is supplied
    Irons and kettles as well as fridges are supplied
    Mess dress is at personal expense, you can always wear No1 dress
  11. I feel I will have to keep trawling arrse pand use it as my guide to learn how to get money from the MOD.
  12. Are they really? In 6 six different units Ive only known one to supply fridges.
    Kettles and irons we have to buy (not that Ive got a problem with that but they certainly are not free) In basic training you had zero choice but to buy the equipment you need.
  13. Strange that I have seen the silver kettles and irons in the QMs and Accommodation blocks marked HQ Sqn QM Dept and serialised. They also appeared on the 115's also so I must be mistaken :eek:
  14. Certainly not in any Ive been in, Still always gives the QMs dept something to laugh at should you ever ask for them.
  15. no nooed to ask they issue it and put it on the 115, if the qms have laughed at you - well never mind fella