Civvy Work

Discussion in 'REME' started by ArmySurplusSpecial, Nov 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst i was in the corps i used to do a lot of civvy work but found the attitude towards it differed at various LAD's i served at.

My first unit did not allow it and although my tiffy used to turn a blind eye i once got caught by the QM lowering a porsche 944 gearbox onto my chest and it was in front of the ASM monday morning to gain 5 extras. he would not budge on letting anyone do civvy work. my 2nd unit was the opposite, the ASM there and one of the artisan Staffies basically ran a business from the LAD and it was civvy work heaven.

the following 2 units again didnt allow it and one unit had a "car club" where we paid a yearly subscription to allow us to work and it was controlled properly by the tiffy veh in charge of it.

Why do LAD's make a big fuss of this? we heard the stories of "insurance" etc but why would one not allow it and another LAD let it happen no problem, obviously working alone is a no no but just interested to hear from others and in particular any heads of sheds why some put the damperners on it?

i always thought working on civvy cars should be promoted as it helped with exp on the spanners and helped folk save a few bob by fixing their own cars and obviously helped me with beer tokens fixing every other buggers cars!! :D
  2. My place has a policy whereby there must be 2 people present at any time. Other than that, crack on.
  3. The first unit I went to we were allowed to bring civvy work in after getting a chit from the ASM but as I was a young inexperienced crafty I would only work on my own car. My second unit i spent a couple of years in an LAD in NI working purely on white fleet and a few bits of green kit, we could bring civvy work in "Homers" as they were known when we wanted but the civvy VMs we had got most of the jobs cause they had the knowledge but I learn't hell of a lot of civvy stuff while serving there. Third unit after i'd done my Class 1 we had a car club which we paid some extra dosh into our wksps subs to cover building and contents insurance, by this time time though i discovered that most people in the Rgt wanted their car fixed for bugger all and when asking for a tenner or a crate of beer for a few hours work they had heart failure! In the end I only did civvy work for mates and also helped out the younger crafties, which was more experience for me working on different cars. Also i bought a project car and spent a year restoring it but had to move it out of the LAD by start of play the next day. The unit i am at now allows us to bring cars into the wksp with permission from the ASM, but as I live out now i don't tend to stay after work too much and do civvy work anymore, just service my own stuff when needed. In my opinion I think its bad that some units don't allow work on civvy cars even if its only your own, its embarrasing having to take it down to the the local Beales Motors centre and have to people less capable than Gary and Minty and can't speak proper England putting a hammer and chisel to your pride and joy especially in this day and age went your don't know if the work is carried out to the right standard or even done at all!

"Hit it harder, Don't touch it up!"
  4. A lot of this stems Brigadier Bilko, more on this once I have escaped detection by the chief goon. (the wife)

5. Back in the 80's when I was a young pup at bratschool, there was a story about a Brigadier in charge of a base workshop( what we now call ABRO) who had the workers building caravans, furniture, repairing cars and just about every concievable abuse of the workshop facilities imaginable. From this there came a clampdown on private work using army facilities. Hence why we had to have a chit allowing us to work in the LAD to fix cars. Just in case we "pilfered" army nuts and bolts, coshh and other materials that should be used for keeping fit equipment in the hands of troops and not cash in a crafties beer fund.

Now be honest with yourselves, how many of your cars do not have a nut or bolt that you proffed from the G10?
  6. no comment! :wink:
  7. 2nd unit wasn't RDG/1 RTR LAD by any chance??
  8. it was indeed CASREP, im still in touch with both in question. live not too far from me. i see the moustached "hard" one on a regular basis!
  9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Am always grateful to The LAD from Chattenden who gave me helpful "advise" on how to fix my Landrover, as long as I brought the parts with me!

I seem to recall a broken handbrake cable being fixed outside the Chatham Dental Centre by someone across on a course. He unfortunately had no tools with him but it's amazing what you can do with dental instruments!
  10. It's a liability thing - if yon A-S-S had the Porsche 944 gearbox land on his head/foot/crown jewels and lost the use of important bits of his anatomy, the resulting H&S investigation would want to know why he was working on civvy kit in a military facility with no formal supervision.

Although there is training benefit of a kind, it's all down to duty-of-care - you're trained to fix military kit, not civvy and your OC would have difficulty trying to justify what you were doing. By the way, car clubs have an insurance associated to cover such accidents (that some units may or may not be willing to fund) and must be properly structured to cover issues such as supervision.
  11. Should be trained to VM on anything by the use of generic principals IMHO

12. point taken and very true. however why do some do it and not others? there must be a way of it being done legally without much fuss?

what a load of rubbish, where on my C&G or national craft cert does it say im only trained on mil kit? im a mechanic, i can work on anything. there is no separate qualification that makes you a mechanic on only military equipment??