Civvy walking jacket?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by usmarox, Apr 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Having realised I'm now trapped in Wales for the foreseeable future, I thought I might as well make the most of it and get some serious walking done while I'm here. Unfortunately, most of my outdoors kit is green...

The only thing I'm really shy of, though, is a civvy shell layer. What I'm after is a waterproof jacket for (preferably) less than £100. Having done the rounds of Millets etc., I'm beginning to wonder if that's at all possible. It doesn't need to be an all-singing all-dancing good-from-Everest-to-the-Antarctic number, but it does need to be waterproof. And, for preference, bright orange.

Any suggestions?

In related news, is Gore-Tex still the gold standard for waterproofing? I'm seeing lots of different breathable membrane type fabrics about, and of course they all have great write-ups, but do they work in practice?

Thanks for your help,
  2. If I were you I'd go for a good quality gore-tex rain jacket. Target price should be around 50-60 and you should be able to find one that just packs into it's own pocket. Something to keep the wet out, green warm kit underneath if necessary.
  3. Although the price range for this particular jacket is around £150 you couldn't do any worse than checking out some Paramo clothing. i've worked in the hills and tried many different types of material including Gore tex but the Nikwax analogy fabric IMO is the best i've used by a long shot!!
  4. Have a scout round this website:

It has a forum section and gear reviews which may help.

Also consider having a scan at the various walking magazines available (e.g. Trail, TGO, Country Walking), they also do reviews (but its pot luck as to whether they're doing the kit you want in any particular month). Have a leaf through in WH Smith next time you're passing.
  5. there's a couple of North Face outlets around the UK. I got a real nice NF jacket for £75 in an outlet with an original price of £240. God knows how you can put a £240 price tag on a jacket but hey!

for anyone more mainland you should all head down to Bicester outlet village there's a north face shop and helly shop within about 10 metres of each other, both outlet stores and both stupidly cheap!
  6. If it suits you that is! I find it way too warm and it's heavy when wet!
  7. Ebay, Barbour jacket.

If all else fails you can have oneof my old ones (38" chest in green or 40" in navy) for £60.

Pretty much makes you immune to whatever the elements throw at you.
  8. Should also say that I got an incredibly orange Berghaus PacLite Extrem jacket from Ebay for £60. Weighs nothing and completely waterproof (though it won't keep you warm unless you have a fleece under it).

In terms of new and shiny, eVent fabric is the best at the moment, definitely out-performs Gore-tex, Sympatex or the Paramo only Nikwax Analogy. However it's still very pricey.
  9. If you are situated down south, get your self to the designer outlet McArther Glen in Bridgend. They have a number of walking shops who do chee, but good, Gortex (usualy cheap as it is last seasons range)

You could also try the RVOPS shop on Dering Lines in Brecon. The owner/manager is spot on and does hefty discounts if you say you travelled to his shop especially.
  10. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

I too suggest Paramo

Most of the mountain rescue teams can't be that wrong
  11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If you can stretch to £125 look at one of SASS's 'ventile in all but label' jackets - though not available in orange.
  12. I concur with the Aquafoil suggestion. I have both a Gortex and an Aquafoil by Berghaus. Gortex, by its very nature only lasts about 4-5 years before the mebrane starts to deteriorate. I have had my aquafoil about 3 years now, and although i admit it is not as waterproof as Gortex (about 80%) i have no real gripe with it. I have used it in most conditions the UK can through at us in both summer and winter.
  13. And Aquafoil is a lot cheaper
  14. Fair enough horses for courses i guess but i still say that its the best kit around by a very long way!!

Were you aware that Paramo now do a lighter weight version of their kit as they were aware that it can be quite heavy for some people???