Civvy vs Military Off road racing

DirtbagCivvy

Clanker
This would be right up my street (if I get past selection next month and through basic!)
Does anyone know how often this happens because, as I’m currently a Dirtbag Civvy type, this is the first thing I’ve seen where the army is motor racing!!! I’m sure there’s been plenty of other stuff before but wouldn’t have really heard about it!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted 4482

This would be right up my street (if I get past selection next month and through basic!)
Does anyone know how often this happens because, as I’m currently a Dirtbag Civvy type, this is the first thing I’ve seen where the army is motor racing!!! I’m sure there’s been plenty of other stuff before but wouldn’t have really heard about it!!!

Ask at careers office about the motorcycle training centre, MCTC in Colchester.

spins

Old-Salt
Good to see BAMA it still exists or did five years ago. Back in the olden days they sponsored lots of stuff including entries to the RAC, Scottish and other international rallies. Generally speaking they did rallies very thinly disguised as navigation/resilience/training exercises. Most of them were run by local clubs, Hohne MSC in my case, generally using your own car. However there were Land Rover only events like Ex Magnum Spirit which looking at Effendi's post is now called Ex Roadmaster. In my case I was given a lightweight Rover, the Bde Recce Officers vehicle, to which I fitted big Cibie Super Oscar lamps, a roll cage and harnesses, all allowed in those far off 'halogen' days, and basically chucked it around the ulu. One of the vehicles on the Magnum Spirit in which I took part was a 'modified' lightweight with amongst other things a 4.2 Buick V8. It could do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. In 1981. On gravel. How it was accounted for in the REME Wksp to which it belonged, I have no idea. Happy Days!

spins

DirtbagCivvy

Clanker
Good to see BAMA it still exists or did five years ago. Back in the olden days they sponsored lots of stuff including entries to the RAC, Scottish and other international rallies. Generally speaking they did rallies very thinly disguised as navigation/resilience/training exercises. Most of them were run by local clubs, Hohne MSC in my case, generally using your own car. However there were Land Rover only events like Ex Magnum Spirit which looking at Effendi's post is now called Ex Roadmaster. In my case I was given a lightweight Rover, the Bde Recce Officers vehicle, to which I fitted big Cibie Super Oscar lamps, a roll cage and harnesses, all allowed in those far off 'halogen' days, and basically chucked it around the ulu. One of the vehicles on the Magnum Spirit in which I took part was a 'modified' lightweight with amongst other things a 4.2 Buick V8. It could do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. In 1981. On gravel. How it was accounted for in the REME Wksp to which it belonged, I have no idea. Happy Days!

spins
That would have been something to behold, I don’t know how true this was but my grandads cousin was my driving instructor for my car test, and said he was based in Germany (ex REME) and he said they had taken the trucks around the Nurburgring a few times!

DirtbagCivvy

Clanker
My mates son (REME) Races with Army Motorsports. He was at Snetterton last weekend participating in organised crashing apparently.
Sounds like great fun, there’s something about walking away from a good smash up that gets the blood flowing (in and out of the body) lol

That would have been something to behold, I don’t know how true this was but my grandads cousin was my driving instructor for my car test, and said he was based in Germany (ex REME) and he said they had taken the trucks around the Nurburgring a few times!

That would have been around 40 years ago plus, or minus a few. Fair enough, your Grandads cousin, but it is about as likely as having taken a wagon around Silverstone in the same time period. The Ring has been a pay as you go circuit for many years, with strict insurance requirements to get your motor in - you can't show insurance as a military driver as you don't carry it.

Myself and co-driver Paddy H competed in a RAF Akrotiri All arms 24hr Cyprus Rally back in the day with a bog standard Air Portable. Touching speeds of 74km's and less over bondu tracks we absolutely crushed the course coming in 2h.7m.31s before the next sucker- a Blue jobby. Result.
'
'
'

Oh, yeah..... I forgot to mention
Going off route.
Speeding.
Missing 4 checkpoints overnight.
Refusing to change a front wheel with the spare.
and the fatal nail
Paddy pulling the Tea-Urn off the Helibed tailgate and spilling the lot put us a few spots behind the leaders
ie:
dead last after deducting the numerous time penalties.

EmFail.jpg

DirtbagCivvy

Clanker
That would have been around 40 years ago plus, or minus a few. Fair enough, your Grandads cousin, but it is about as likely as having taken a wagon around Silverstone in the same time period. The Ring has been a pay as you go circuit for many years, with strict insurance requirements to get your motor in - you can't show insurance as a military driver as you don't carry it.
I never fully believed him but as it will have been 40-50 years ago I was never sure if it was possible!

DirtbagCivvy

Clanker
Myself and co-driver Paddy H competed in a RAF Akrotiri All arms 24hr Cyprus Rally back in the day with a bog standard Air Portable. Touching speeds of 74km's and less over bondu tracks we absolutely crushed the course coming in 2h.7m.31s before the next sucker- a Blue jobby. Result.
'
'
'

Oh, yeah..... I forgot to mention
Going off route.
Speeding.
Missing 4 checkpoints overnight.
Refusing to change a front wheel with the spare.
and the fatal nail
Paddy pulling the Tea-Urn off the Helibed tailgate and spilling the lot put us a few spots behind the leaders
ie:
dead last after deducting the numerous time penalties.

View attachment 591174
Spilling the tea!!! Oh my god!!! Worse than coming last mate!
But I bet it was still a great experience, I’d still give it a go!!!

Latest Threads