Civvy SA80s for sale (semi-auto only)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Biped, Jun 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nope, haven't got one, not selling, but would be very interested to know if anyone out there is.

You can have a semi-auto .22 rifle on a firearms licence, so I want to know if any companies are flogging rebarrelled semi-auto only versions.

2. I'd like to know where to buy one as I have stupidly misplaced my issue one.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The frogs buy semi-auto AR15's, Steyr AUG's etc in .222 in reasonable numbers - dont know who does the work/distributes or if they do SA80's.... will have a sniff around for you.

Its got to be .22lr only on a UK FAC IIRC no?

4. Conversion of an L98 would be the obvious solution. Otherwise it remains S5 even if "downconverted"

5. You don't want anything that has ever been an L98......

6. Nobody's selling SA80s. There is no .22" rebarrelling conversion, only the L41A1 Conversion kit which fits into an A1 weapon. therefore if you bought a .22" L85A1 with the Conv kit it would still be a 5.56mm barrelled semi-auto weapon, and therefore illegal in UK. If you were to buy yourself an L98A1 single shot cadet rifle, and a conv kit to go along with it, that would technically be legal. however, as I said, no-one's selling SA80s in UK. You might be able to get one up the Khyber Pass by now though... (ooh matron, etc).

7. Agreed.

Why not get an airsoft one and stick a Ruger 10/22 inside?

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It does indeed look like fun.

The idea behind this is really to handle and use the SA80 in my own time, partly for whacking bunnies and stuff, but also to get loads of time with the weapon, both for familiarisation, but also, because you could use it on your own land. The idea being, for those of you in the T.A. - you can soon become VERY proficient indeed in handling this weapon, without the usual T.A. budget and training day constraints.

9. Are we talking about handling and stoppage drills here? Or just general proficiency in firing it?

10. I do. Admittedly it would have to be a later UN serialled, ex-ATC one, and not one of the early Enfield ones put together by blind drunk apprentices with lump hammers.

A Ciener or ADCO conversion kit would be nice too, but a skilled gunsmith could probably do a permanent conversion from an old M261 kit and a new .22 barrel with a 1 in 16 twist.

However, I quite like the idea of the original straight pull 5.56, tricked up a bit with a flash hider and an optic on top

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, that depends on whether it's the old model or the new as far as stoppage drills go.

The thing is, .22 ammo is quite cheap. You could spend entire days walking around, setting up targets or banging bunnies, all on semi-auto. You could practice your snap-shooting, longer range stuff, shooting positions and generally make expert weapon handling completely second nature, all the while bringing back stuff for the stew-pot, or to feed your dogs with.

The important thing is, you can have it in semi-auto without the S5.