Civvy job and the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by tigerbaby, Jan 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got in from work and am fcuking livid! After telling them in October that I wouldn't be able to do weekends for them in 2007 because of TA and other commitments, they have gone and put me down for every bloody one! When I argued that I'd given 3 months notice and that it was only supposed to be temporary cover for weekends anyway they told me 'if you can work for them at the weekends, you can work for us... choose, it's either the TA or here... don't know why you had to join anyway... '

Anyway enough of the rant bit, can anyone tell me what are my rights (if any) here? My contracted hours are weekdays not weekends and they had previously told me they had someone else to take over these temporary hours, and that it was no problem.

Cheers, tiger
  2. Im not sure what the rights are regarding part-time employment, arn't the employment rules geared towards those who work full time, and who are then mobilised.....?

Not sure, try asking Msr, he seems to be a God on these issues.
  3. That's what I'm thinking too Praet, but I thought it was worth asking anyway :)
  4. Just a thought, why not nip into your local Citizens Advice Burea they'll be able to advise you as they have a wonderful reference set up covering employment law.If push comes to shove you may be able to go to an industrial tribunal (free) but they (CAB) will advise you better.
  5. I agree with craftmanx in principal, but be very careful before you go pissing off your employer. They are, after all, your principal bread provider.

If you do go with it, make sure the issue is about you being made to do weekends when it's not in your contract and not you being made to do weekends and thus cannot put in your TA time. The only point the two should legitimately cross is where you're not contracted for weekends and by making you do it you'll fall short of your MTD's/MATT's and lose your bounty, thus making your employer potentially culpable.
  6. If you look at the top of this thread there is SABRE. They were fantastic with my employer, contact them and see if they can help.
  7. msr

msr LE

Dr_Evil is the guru on this subject.

My advice remains sort your priorities: Family -> Work -> TA/

8. Don't suppose you have a union .
  9. Thanks for the advice :) msr my priorities are exactly that, which is why I had told them I could only do every single weekend for a limited time, ending in 2007 - with uni and kids I need at least 1 - 2 weekends a month to catch up on everything while the kids are away so regardless of TA I couldn't do them. Their view is if I can give the TA a couple of weekends a month (which I can manage) then I can continue giving them every weekend (which I can't)... However the obvious difference is being lost on them.

What's really p*ssing me off is the fact that there are hours available for me during the week, but since they found out I have committed to the TA have decided they would like me to do weekends permenantly for them instead.
  10. Does your boss read the Guardian?
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Is this coming right from the top TB or can you go higher up the HR foodchain if required?

Depending on your employer you may have a formal grievance procedure as well. I appreciate that you don't want to antagonise your boss but giving them three months notice is more than reasonable in my view.
  12. They are still learning their alphabet, one step at a time Praet ;)

It's coming from management, I could go one higher but to be honest they are even more useless... I don't really think they fully understand time management at all... ever...
  13. Your rights to pursue the TA career are very limited. As pointed out earlier, the RFA 96 legislation is designed to protect you when mobilised.

Your best bet would probably be to find another job where they don't want you to work weekends.

Once you've done that, you can tell your current employer to poke it, ideally in a letter to the Managing Director.
  14. See, I do say the right thing sometimes :D

Don't let the bastards grind you down TB, I'd personally have just said that I didn't want to work weekends, and left the TA out of it, say you're spending time with the sprogs or something.

Im sure that if you'd asked not to work weekends with 3 months notice then you'd have got away with it. They're probably pissed off that you're taking time off work to go and work, thats all. I'd suggest trying to speak to your manager in private.

15. Tigerbaby.. no employment law expert. But in my simplistic view it is irrelevant to your main employer what you choose to do on your weekends off. If you are not contracted to work weekends but have been covering them under the "promise" that a replacement will be found and you have then given plenty of notice that as of a certain date you will no longer be available to carry out uncontracted hours.
    Would your boss have the same gripe if you said you wanted to completely redecorate your house every weekend? I think not. He obviously has a gripe about the TA.
    When I worked shifts and was in the TA I used to make a point of booking time off to do TA commitments and even on weekends when I wasn't down to work I would make it clear I was unavailable for overtime because I was otherise committed.
    One of my bosses asked me once if I was really going to claim the extra 10 days leave I was entitled to claim (for camp) because "HE" felt it was unfair on other people not in the TA.