Civvy going for 21 sas (r)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by THE_PIKEY, Nov 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, so i have decided to go for it! i first thought of joining about 6 months ago thought i'd better get in shape been training hard! can run 8 mile 60 mins (average) mixed terrain. Been out tabbing today with weight not sure how much, no scales but got bruised shoulders and my legs feel f*cked (love it^^). 4 hrs fast pace apart from the first incline, it was a very steep incline. Been out a few times now gets a little easier each time until i add more weight :p.

Anyway my question is am i doing enough??? I run 3-5 miles twice a week always pushing harder and harder if it starts to feel easy i push harder until it hurts. 8 mile run once a fortnight mixed terrain and try for somewhere different each time. gym 2-3 times a week.

swimming is a slight problem!! Haven't swam properly for years and my technique is all out of whack but have been informed swim test is next feb so should have plenty of time to practise.

Reason i ask is because most threads i see a lot of people are saying its very hard, almost impossible to pass unless your some kind of olympic runner/worlds strongest man/ land rover

Any info would be a great help! i haven't made this decision lightly. Excitement has turned into panic could be starting in jan! Just need a real insight to what to expect.
  2. Applications are only accepted on the summit of Pen Y Fan on Christmas day, how you get there is up to you.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. It's TA SAS selection therefore by default it is a piece of piss.

Use it as a stepping stone to regular RLC service.
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Get yourself a book on ironman training...when you've cracked that, start to work on your nav skills and, assuming that you can commit to 40 or so weekends, and several 2 week concentrations over a 2 yr period whilst balancing family and work commitments you'll sail through...
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Also info on pirbright would be nice :) assault course. what's it like? will i be using it? (maybe a silly question) please bare in mind i'am a civvy and don't know much about army life etc.
  6. Pirbright is a lovely village in Surrey. The nearest town is Guildford which is noted for the comeliness of the resident young ladies. The lab for investigating horrible farmyard diseases is located there.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks for the info. Will order an ironman traing book asap
  8. lol, info on pirbright barracks?
  9. IM is not sports specific to selection but the principles of graduated build-up and commitment required map over nicely
  10. What's the drowning man logo for?
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. In civvy street it means laugh out loud
  12. Dear oh ******* dear.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. another question. Why is pen y fan referred to as the fan dance? where can i pick up some good map reading skills? would really like to be ahead of the game so im not struggling and have a better understanding
    • Like Like x 1