Civvy Driving Instruction Question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Spanish_Dave, Nov 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I am in the process of buying my daughter a car to help with her driving lessons, she cannot use mine as it is through war pension.

My question is this, to instruct her do I have to be insured to drive the vehicle or is it just the driver :?
  2. Yes, you'll have to be a named driver.
  3. She should be covered on your policy if you're fully comp. obviously you need l plates front and rear and she needs prov licence. However, i would check with your insurer in case there's some smallprint get out clause lurking....
  4. ignore me, missed the bit about war pension. whoops...!
  5. Spanish_Dave

Thats why I have had to buy another car as she cannot legally drive mine until she has passed or turned 21
  6. Check here.

Direct Line do a deal where the other driver ( as in the case of your daughter ) gets no claims on the same policy.
  7. msr

msr LE

She must be insured to drive the vehicle, but it must be insured on a provisional driving license basis in her name. NB The car does not have to be in her name.

The insurance company must be informed when she passes. And watch the premium jump massively.

The advice from my friendly, local driving instructor is to get lessons from an instructor, especially as the instructor's car will have dual controls.

8. Another tip, if she goes to a registered driving instructor to begin with book a double lesson each time. That way she will spend a lot more time on the road.

On a single lesson you get revision from the last lesson, driving plan for today and about 40 mins actual driving if she is lucky.

You can then sharpen her skills post lesson.
  9. Cheaper for a young lady chum, I have been through this. Boys will cost you a fortune.

And don't forget Pass Plus - this is motorway driving and another dent in the insurance payment.
  10. Spanish_Dave

Thanks fellers, she is doing double lessons
  11. Spanish_Dave

Took the plunge and bought the car today, a tidy little Fiat Punto, insurance I thought was a snip at £548 for a 17 year old female provisional license holder
  12. Most Schools do this automatically unless you specify 1 1hour lessons.