Civvies to take over Search & Rescue Role

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With your searching skills I don't reckon you'll get the job.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Makes sense, SAR was an off-shoot of the old ASR, aircrew for the rescuing of, icey watery death from. Now we've got ****-all fast jet/slow transport/in-between thingy we may as well get out of that game too. I mean its not as if we'll ever need trained 'chopper crew for anything.....

3. I take it William will be next on the redundancies then ??

• Like Like x 1
  4. He's bit f**cked...Gran is still going strong(has she made the Dead pool yet..??)..then his Dad will get the job..bleak times ahead..!!..but we're in it "together"

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's a crock of shit - Along with that every county has a 'lowland' search team, which works in conjunction with RAF and occasionally Coastguard, but more often are called out by Fire Service for rural searches or primarily support, or are brought in instead of the police search teams.

Now, I was Police search trained, both urban and rural in East Suffolk where a lot of high flying diplomats, ex Met Commissioners, MP's, and MI5 operatives live.. So we had a lot of bomb/suspicious object searches at events, and rural sweeps before they returned from trips and took up residence again.

The team I volunteer with is in constant turmoil, the bloke in charge is only in it for the recognition he gets, there is no discipline or common sense, power struggles, and more recently - security breaches with details of searches being posted on social networks.Those who actually have the knowledge and experience to search properly are drowned out by what you would describe as the 'walts'.

Losing the Military side of it is going to have a disastrous impact on the amount of people saved, and the number of people found within the stated time limits. The private companies are going to scrimp on training and running costs as they always do, so further sub-standard 'search operatives' are going to join the market.

It's b*+%cks!

• Like Like x 2
  6. PsyCop, B0ll0x it may be, but it is money saving b0ll0x. And that is what counts. Don' forget that people are easily made in large numbers by unskilled labour, so the occasional "shortfall" will be quickly solved.
    Problems? What problems?

7. Profit over people!

8. I don't know. Strikes me that it offers good career opportunities for RN /AAC / RAF helicopter pilots and crews once they retire. Many of the police /ambulance /Bristows / Coastguard crews seem to be ex-services.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not sure it is.

Why are you blending landlocked footslogging search teams with rotary SAR in your argument? What's the relevance to police search and rotary SAR? What's the impact of it being civilian? Have you a clue what you are talking about?

COCO SAR in places where it may be efficient could be the way to go and is a model that already exists in the UK.

10. Medical discharge due to colour blindness - shouldn't be flying the things in the first place.

11. Dont get lost... simples.

SAR is a government funded task, all to often it involves a search for dumbfucks who bimble up mountains in flipflops or who go deep sea fishing on lilos.

If the mundane can be done cheaper by HelosRus and that means an Infantry battalion can be saved from the chop then fair play, I'm for it.

12. A few clues sir, Yes..

Rotary SAR and footslogging search teams as you put it work in conjunction in many circumstances.. Regional police forces don't want to tie their helicopters up, so call in the military, granted it's mainly in cases of escaped convicts and high risk searches, as evidenced in the search for Raoul Moat.

13. It also involves saving the lives of seamen lost servicing the trade of this country:

BBC News - MV Swanland survivors pay tribute to rescue services