Civvies as pretend casulties on (TA) Exercises?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by polar, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How easy is this? does it have hurdles of red tape?

I through this up at work this week, reckon it would be fun, also gets potential recruits to see the TA. (Not like Executive Stretch which aims to gain officer recruits)

2. There is a always the Casualty Bureau ( I think that's their name). They are an outfit that provide casualties as a hobby, with all the make up, blood, injuries etc. Don't know if they charge though, but they are very good at it.

3. there is always the ACF - give the lickle scrotes an offer of some alcopops and theyll be your friend for life

4. I believe that University units have provided many, many folk for exercises in the past.

Try them.

5. thanks, the idea went down well at work, I'll try pushing it forward

6. They're called the Casualty Union and I've worked with them a couple of times. You give them the scenario and the number of casualties and they come up with all the rest that you could need. Only failing, if it is a failing, is they can be quite frightening in their enthusiasm :biggrin:

I have a pamphlet somewhere I'll dig it out and find an address

7. If it mentions Field Hospital procs, please send it my may

8. Polar,

I'll find it and send you copies of what I got :thumright:

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

10. they have been used on Hospexs at the AMSTC

11. they were at Music in the Air in 2003. very convincing make-up!!!

12. i've been a 'casualty' for emergency services exercises preparing for majax scenarios,i don't know who organised it but St John's Ambulance did all the makeup for it,so they may know about red tape etc!Very realistic too,strange looks though driving a coach load of dismembered corpses through Oakham!!

13. One broadcast about PTSD featured three blokes, one of whom had lost a leg in friendly fire on Telic.

He's now set up his own company and hires himself out for these exercises as it's all the more effective when the medic arrives and find that the leg on the casualty appears to be held together by a mere scrap of skin.

14. AMSTC use another company called Amputees in Action. All civilian, some ex military and all great actors who play the part superbly well. As I am sure anyone who has been involved in recent HOSPEX or PDT exercises will agree, the use of this company has taken realism in medical training to a previously unparalleled level.

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Wow..... The Flux !

Look what landed in my inbox today:
    ----------------------------begins------------------------------
    Grim lessons for the battlefront will help the casualties of war

With casualties mounting in Iraq and Afghanistan, Army medics are preparing for the horrors of war at a Yorkshire
    training centre. Sally Fitzharris reports.

The grim reality of war has never been more explicit.
    Rolling news of the major battles and in-depth reports by journalists at the heart of the conflict have brought the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan into the homes of the public.

However, no amount of graphic coverage can prepare those who leave behind their friends and loved ones to hep the growing toll of injured – and, with no end in sight to either conflict, the numbers requiring urgent and often life-saving medical help will only increase.

Most soldiers have little choice but to get on with the job no matter how difficult the environment, the newest recruits relying on the experience of their older colleagues. But at the Army Medical Services Training Centre in North Yorkshire there is an attempt to recreate the bloodiest consequences of battle which will confront medical staff.

Amputees in Action was the brainchild of Paul Burns, who lost his leg in the IRA bombing at Warren Point in 1979 while serving with the Parachute Regiment and with 50 members on its books it now works with the armed forces to provide training for medical teams before they are sent abroad.

"It's an exercise in de-sensitisation," says Ben Elton, retired regimental Sergeant Major of the Royal Logistic Corps, who had to have his left leg amputated above the knee following an accident two years ago.
    "On the most recent exercise, I played the part of a traumatic amputee who had lost their leg in an explosion," he recalls. "The young nurse who opened the ambulance doors ran away in shock saying she couldn't handle the situation.

"One of the senior NCOs caught her and threw her back in the ambulance and said 'Get in and deal with that soldier now'.

"Later she told me she'd learned a lot from the exercise and that's the idea of it."

To make the exercise as realistic as possible the group have recruited the services of make-up artist Linzi Foxcroft who has turned her theatre skills to recreating authentic battle injuries.

"We create everything from toothache to gunshot wounds to bomb injuries," she says. "We deal with the whole scenario, which means looking at the environment. Three casualties from the same helicopter crash will all have mud, grit, glass, dirt in their wounds."

While in real battles soldiers are told to expect the unexpected, at the training centre nothing is left to chance and all those taking part are issued with scenario cards giving details of their injuries and the treatment they might expect to receive.

"Every case is based on a real incident," says Major Tim Davies, a nurse in the Queen Alexandra Royal Nursing Corps. "And with developments in warfare come new types of injuries which medical staff have to deal with.
    "Iraqi insurgent weapons are extremely sophisticated and medics have to act swiftly to stop what can be catastrophic haemorrhaging.
    "Acting the part of a casualty can be frightening. It may not be real, but there is still a sense you are putting your life into someone else's hands.
    "These are highly trained doctors and nurses, but all the medical skills in the world can't prepare you for a battleground."

Since cuts to military hospitals in the late 1980s, most Army medics are now recruited from the civilian sector and while they may have the technical knowledge they also need to learn how to fit into the Armed Forces environment.

"It's vital that you can build an efficient team," says Major Davies. "The team coming through here can be made up from 52 different units which includes the Navy and the RAF. This is the first time they have met. A fundamental purpose is to get them functioning as a team, let them work out who's in control as well as practising operational skills.

"When things have quietened down, the staff will want to question the amputees on their experience and I always say to them,
    'Tell them whatever you can' because when they finally do have to
    deal with it for real they are more likely to be able to be reassuring."

While explosive devices have moved on from the Warren Point massacre, which killed 18 soldiers, the experience of surviving trauma has remained much the same.
    "I lost a group of guys I'd grown up with," says Burns, who joined the Army at 16.
    "We'd gone through the junior army together and there was a feeling of guilt that I had survived and they hadn't.
    "But I've used that as a driving force. If ever I've felt mentally weak or depressed I've thought 'You've got to make up for their loss'.
    "Having gone through that hospital process, a system that saved my life, I feel benefit if I can put something back, if I can help to make the medical training better in any way.

"Turning a negative into a positive: that's the ethos of Amputees-in-Action."

05 February 2007

-------------------------------ends----------------------

Good dit !

Le Chevre