Civvie street sucks arrse....

Tromboning

Verb
A rather impractical sex act where a woman or man rims a man's ringpiece while simultaneously reaching round to give it some elbow on his prok sword, the action being akin to playing a trombone.
Les Dennis was shocked when he came home early and found his wife Amanda tromboning Mr Morrissey, again.
Are you sure that you meant to quote my post? Ta for the info though! :)

Tromboning

Verb
A rather impractical sex act where a woman or man rims a man's ringpiece while simultaneously reaching round to give it some elbow on his prok sword, the action being akin to playing a trombone.
Les Dennis was shocked when he came home early and found his wife Amanda tromboning Mr Morrissey, again.
The informative for the Holden/Morrissey interaction not the definition.

2001. I was actually working for Petronas but found myself out with the Chinese seismic crews for much of the time, as they were having occasional problems with the SPLA. I've never seen so many spooky people pretending to be something else, although as I was pretending to be an HSE adviser I can't talk, I suppose.
That sounds about right. What kit were they using? we had our own Schlumberger kit and Mertz/Prakla vibes, Landrovers and Iveco/MAN/MOL trucks.

That sounds about right. What kit were they using? we had our own Schlumberger kit and Mertz/Prakla vibes, Landrovers and Iveco/MAN/MOL trucks.
Dong-A trucks and all Chinese kit as far as I recall.
1.jpg

Here:
3.jpg

However three of us were eating Hungarian Ghoulash on a bitter cold snowy day, when he related the next stage of his ambitions and proceeded to fire up a laptop of the event, clearly showing him and the lady concerned embarking on their disgusting act, I looked away but the audio and his description made me heave

Well don't be shy, what was said next stage of his ambitions?

Tromboning

Verb
Well, that's just put me off Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

About 15 years ago, I spent a couple of weeks in BGP’s yard in Zhouzhou. It was like a museum of seismic acquisition, with just about every acquisition system commercially available represented. No Schlumberger kit, obviously.

2001. I was actually working for Petronas but found myself out with the Chinese seismic crews for much of the time, as they were having occasional problems with the SPLA. I've never seen so many spooky people pretending to be something else, although as I was pretending to be an HSE adviser I can't talk, I suppose.

Around Thar Jath?

now work for a transport company and I'm on time every day, right kit right place so on but as an example for an F up is, I turned up to a site too early and had a written complaint from their boss to mine for not being their within the five minute window..... It's really that bone, and now I'm suspended on pay.

Appreciate you all

Did you arrive early and then leave early? Presumably you were not there when they expected you to be there so what is the rest of the story?

Personally I've found that the main things that I needed to change were

1) Tone the banter right down to almost nothing. Civi co-workers generally dont respond well to being told to go away and kill themselves and just take everything too seriously
2) Learn to put up with shit leadership and terrible management, you cant cover / up manage like you can with a dodgy new officer, lives are not usually at stake and so your comments about how shit the boss is are not usually received well.

Also, reading between the lines, you say that your jobs have all been "good jobs" but i wonder if they really are good jobs for you, perhaps a change is in order. Try something different.

Around Thar Jath?
No, further West and North, from Rebkona up to Kadugli. Thar Jath was just starting up when I was there, Lundin oil in that area had more issues with bandits than I did, although when things kicked off in the Rebkona shebeens it was a good idea to be elsewhere. GNPOC had a very and curiously fluid relationship with the SPLA at the time; they once attacked my convoy on the way to one of the wells (without many of us realising that we'd been attacked as they ran through the 'killing zone' and disappeared, causing little damage) and on one occasion I was on a GNPOC plane with two seriously wounded combatants; one Army, the other SPLA, both of whom seemed to receive exemplary care, although one died en-route, - there was a senior SPLA chap on the plane bound for Khartoum, too, busy with his laptop. I also attended an open-air recruitment fair for labourers somewhere on the North bank of the Bahr-al-Ghazal where half of the recruits were clearly guerilla types and at least one of the Examining Board was a senior SPLA officer, while Oilfield Police were also represented. We used to see your planes on the ground and avoided talking about them...
All very political.

No, further West and North, from Rebkona up to Kadugli. Thar Jath was just starting up when I was there, Lundin oil in that area had more issues with bandits than I did, although when things kicked off in the Rebkona shebeens it was a good idea to be elsewhere. GNPOC had a very and curiously fluid relationship with the SPLA at the time; they once attacked my convoy on the way to one of the wells (without many of us realising that we'd been attacked as they ran through the 'killing zone' and disappeared, causing little damage) and on one occasion I was on a GNPOC plane with two seriously wounded combatants; one Army, the other SPLA, both of whom seemed to receive exemplary care, although one died en-route, - there was a senior SPLA chap on the plane bound for Khartoum, too, busy with his laptop. I also attended an open-air recruitment fair for labourers somewhere on the North bank of the Bahr-al-Ghazal where half of the recruits were clearly guerilla types and at least one of the Examining Board was a senior SPLA officer, while Oilfield Police were also represented. We used to see your planes on the ground and avoided talking about them...
All very political.

Cheers. Clocked that in a later post.

Yup, we had all kinds of issues working there. Had to be careful who we had on board dropping into some places or the locals would try to drag out opposing faction members and off them. Had the despatcher keeping a running tally of who was in control of which areas and routing us so we didn't have to land with potential victims/hostages on board.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
"Personnel Management" was better, HR am krap.

"Personnel" or "Staff" used to be perfectly adequate words (what happened to "staff", btw?)

"Human Resources" sounds uncomfortably like something from a dystopian sci fi. But I guess it perfectly sums up the attitude of pushing little people around on a board. :-(

Dong-A trucks and all Chinese kit as far as I recall.
View attachment 444283
Here:
View attachment 444288
By 2001 most of our surveys were 3D with 4D kit already laid on mature fields.
Different situation with Sudan I know. The job we were bidding on was in that area and we were looking at ways of getting airboats in from the States to keep survey working through the rains if we could.
I was looking forward to it, looked a lot more challenging than our normal jobs which had been around Murzuk and Wadi Barjuj for several years up to that point. Although big dunes had their own special issues.

Last edited:
By 2001 most of our surveys were 3D with 4D kit already laid on mature fields.
Different situation with Sudan I know. The job we were bidding on was in that area and we were looking at ways of getting airboats in from the States to keep survey working through the rains if we could.
I was looking forward to it, looked a lot more challenging than our normal jobs which had been around Murzuk and Wadi Barjuj for several years up to that point. Although big dunes had their own special issues.
Q-Land?