Civvie street sucks arrse....

Seismic is an area where you would think that ex-mil would slot in well, at least that was my view as a civvy. In my early days in a start-up company in the early 2000’s I employed 3 ex-mil with varying results. The first was an ex-squaddie, and was a great success. Really nice guy who would turn his hand to anything. I’d employ him again tomorrow. Second was an ex-matelot who turned out to be a bully, lazy cünt, morale killer, and all round twat. I got rid. Third was a former bootie from 45 who had some interesting stories from Afghanistan. Great bloke, worked well, but was like a hand grenade with the pin out when he had a drink in him. Surprisingly, he quit because he didn’t like the travelling.

i suppose that my opinion isn’t that valuable, but I think one thing that ex-mil take a while to understand is that civvy employment is a bit of a one-way street. Employers will talk a good game about loyalty, commitment etc., but it is not reciprocated. You are a resource, and when it suits them, you’re out.

WG Marine group flogged off to Shearwater, but Land was just shut down. I think there is one crew finishing off outstanding contract obligation, but when that’s done, it’s all over. They bought 28 new vibes from Inova and another from Sercel only 18 months or so ago as well.
CGG have done the same. Marine acquisition rolled into Shearwater, and the land acquisition group dissolved.
All the whining to come from Oil companies about poor quality subsurface data when they have economised an industry in to the ground by taking short term savings from the Chinese - handing PRC so much upstream power is mad

All the whining to come from Oil companies about poor quality subsurface data when they have economised an industry in to the ground by taking short term savings from the Chinese - handing PRC so much upstream power is mad
The worst is still to come. We are about to see a step change in the capital cost of the land acquisition equipment. Partially driven by commoditisation by the Chinese and partly by BP. This will reverse the acquired signal quality advances of the last twenty years in the name of cost.
I‘ve got no sympathy for the oil companies though, and I look forward to hearing the forthcoming whining, albeit, I may well be out of a job by then.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
This !! I managed it by accident (large scale redundancies) but it is something that needs careful planning usually.
Same here
parent company got caught with its pants down, the fines were so big we knew our days were numbered
Now I have a life, work when I want, for who I want, and do other more important things and give something back to society

B42T

LE
Strangely, most of the ex-Mil I've worked with (not managed or have been managed by) have been big-timing tossers. There's only the odd on or two who I have thought are decent blokes and probably would have been decent NCO/WO's.

Agree with what you've said.
One lad in same company as me a few years ago had been in 17/21st Lancers, he joined them cos of the cool capbadge he told me. Anyway he lasted about a year in Army as he got binned because of medical reasons apparently.
He's had every fking disease and broken bones in his body that would kill the bionic man if you listened to the stories he used to tell on break times while dragging on a menthol ciggie at break times.
One time we all went out on the razz and I happened to mention that I had done a 6 monther in Belize, no big deal etc.
3 months later this brainiac is relating stories of when he was in Belize. The fking mong.
Personally I think he got binned from the Army for being a Norbert Prior and a complete admin mong as he was when I knew him.
Met plenty more big timing charlies in Middle East but getting off topic now.

I am currently looking for a job, any job, for the first time (not counting army stuff) since 1980. Ever since then I've been self-employed.

Up until I read Joshua's post above I was quite relaxed about working for an enployer.

Now I'm bloody terrified.
If you've got relevant experience in a shortage subject (not necessarily a degree) then teacher training is an option. Shortage subjects get wodges of dosh tax-free, even if you decide after the training year you can't really be bothered with the whole teaching thing - Funding by subject | Get Into Teaching

I know most people would rather cut their ears off with a rusty bread knife than consider it ;)

1) Tone the banter right down to almost nothing. Civi co-workers generally dont respond well to being told to go away and kill themselves and just take everything too seriously
2) Learn to put up with shit leadership and terrible management, you cant cover / up manage like you can with a dodgy new officer, lives are not usually at stake and so your comments about how shit the boss is are not usually received well.
Personally I think the two points marry together in 'know when you can be an offensive **** and when you have to be polite'.

My subject staff room says things every day that would have us up for slander or disciplinary action but it's fine because it's in a contained environment. Repeating the same things within earshot of the soft cnuts in the main building would get any of us in hot water very quickly.

Referring to a class as 'retards' got me a really dirty look from management but suggesting they should be sterilised or used as speed bumps got a round of laughs in said staff room. Know your audience.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
I have generally not found much difference between ex-mil and civvy street. Tho I think there is a difference between working with majority men, majority women and mixed. In a male environment (construction) there's far less PC attitude and more of a no-nonsense can-do with lots of macho posturing. In a mixed environment there's more petty office politics and in a majority women it's actually not that different from the majority men, albeit less posturing and better manners.

One of the worst mistakes I made was telling my contemporaries my future plans. I had thought that I was speaking in a confidential environment and freely told my colleagues that I aimed to use the company to get qualifications and then bugger off to Dubai to earn megabucks. Oddly enough, not long after that revelation, all my training came to a standstill and after some enquiries I discovered that one of them had blabbed to the management that I was not 'a company man'. Ever since then I have learned to keep my mouth shut.

In one of my recent jobs I had a boss from hell. She was a bully and a psychopath. One of the most important things I have realised is that you have to be able to tell your boss to stick it, and to do that you need to be able to move laterally to find another job. If you cannot do that then it will be easy to find yourself trapped in a toxic environment. Fortunately I was not the only one to think my boss was an arse. After witnessing another colleague get yelled at I spoke to him in private and we hatched a plan - either the boss had to go or we would. I actively attended other job interviews and in the meantime I told everyone who would listen (including HR) just what I thought about my boss because I had nothing left to lose. I was fortunate that some of the people who worked under me saw how bad things were and one of them sent whistle blowing letter to the director just before they went on maternity leave. In the end my boss had an interview without coffee, I heard it was very traumatic with lots of wailing and crying.

Another thing that has also been happening recently is sexual harassment by some of my other colleagues. I work with some women who are at least twice my age. So far they have blown me kisses, sent me a drunken video with one of them flicking her tongue around and lately they have started pinching my bum. I have a sense of humour and I like them so I honestly do not care, but if I were a young woman and they were old men I could have a million pound lawsuit on my hands. So much for equality eh?

clanky

War Hero
I left in 09 after 26 years. I burned through 7 different jobs on the first 3 years, so I can sympathise with the OP. I can now look back on that time and clearly see where I was going wrong, its just a matter of being honest with yourself.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
You anti-social twat! :smile:

Seriously, I get that. I suspect most of us have done that at one stage or another. I used to do it a lot when I worked in the soul destroying, toxic environment of HQ Land, when it was in Wilton.
That feeling of wanting to be alone can get worse as you get older. 'I am least alone when I am alone'

Edited to add: I have a host of really great friends, but I like them in small doses.

Last edited:

Not to mention fudged data and the real thing slipped back to the motherland so they can get it cheap when the western client pulls out because the survey shows it's not worth their while.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I once had a very good Company Commander, he came from the Paras, he was a real good un! He had a sign in his office that said ' Having to endure bad leadership, is like eating horse shit'

Edited for gram

Last edited:
Not to mention fudged data and the real thing slipped back to the motherland so they can get it cheap when the western client pulls out because the survey shows it's not worth their while.
Last Thread drifty post on "mining" :roll:

Agreed, few seem to consider what happens when Chinese companies start taking a national view on things, rather than a commercial one

[back on thread]
I sympathise with the OP. one of my first jobs on leaving was as a transfer driver at a ski resort. Learning that there isn't an MT to fix things if you muck up and nor an MTSgt that slabs of beer could make amenable was a rude shock.
Civvies are also all grasses; apparently "It's his own fault if he was scared/queasy/shiitng himself. he said he wanted to get to the airport fast and the client is always right" is not the right response to an dangerous driving complaint

Last Thread drifty post on "mining" :roll:

Agreed, few seem to consider what happens when Chinese companies start taking a national view on things, rather than a commercial one...

Seen it happen.

...[back on thread]
I sympathise with the OP. one of my first jobs on leaving was as a transfer driver at a ski resort. Learning that there isn't an MT to fix things if you muck up and nor an MTSgt that slabs of beer could make amenable was a rude shock.
Civvies are also all grasses; apparently "It's his own fault if he was scared/queasy/shiitng himself. he said he wanted to get to the airport fast and the client is always right" is not the right response to an dangerous driving complaint

There's none of the loyalty you'd find in your section/platoon/company/unit. Their main drive is to cover their arses and if that requires someone else carries the blame for their fuckup, likely the closest target will be splattered and no witnesses to the truth will be found. If a scapegoat has already been pinged, the truth has little chance of surfacing.

Latest Threads