Civvie street sucks arrse....

Hi everyone,

Just need a but if old fart advice from some of you longer in the teeth.

I left service two years ago and I can't hold a fucking job down! Is something wrong with me?!?!!

I hate not working, it makes me feel worth less and shit.

But I keep getting good jobs and just keep fucking up, I just don't get civvie street at all! Had about 7 jobs in two years, all good jobs too!

Anyone else experience this upon leaving service, please tell me I'm not the only one

I work my balls off, always on time, dressed smartly etc but I just make stupid fuck ups and can't seem to get on with civvies.

One ex sauaddie turns up and were instant best mates... No idea what's going on in my head but something's not working ..

REGARDS, Ben

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi everyone,

I left service two years ago and I can't hold a ******* job down! Is something wrong with me?!?!!

But I keep getting good jobs and just keep ******* up, I just don't get civvie street at all! Had about 7 jobs in two years, all good jobs too!

Anyone else experience this upon leaving service, please tell me I'm not the only one

I work my balls off, always on time, dressed smartly etc but I just make stupid **** ups and can't seem to get on with civvies.

One ex sauaddie turns up and were instant best mates... No idea what's going on in my head but something's not working ..

Love from, Ben

Is it because you sign all your emails to the boss "love from Ben"?

Hi everyone,

I left service two years ago and I can't hold a ******* job down! Is something wrong with me?!?!!

But I keep getting good jobs and just keep ******* up, I just don't get civvie street at all! Had about 7 jobs in two years, all good jobs too!

I work my balls off, always on time, dressed smartly etc but I just make stupid **** ups and can't seem to get on with civvies.

REGARDS, Ben
What do you regard as a “stupid fuck up.”

As it's the NAAFI --- MTFU & grow a pair.

On a more serious note, many ex-mil personnel struggle to cope with civvy life, especially long served. Currently know an ex-cabbage head who is about to have an ex-wife unless he gets with the programme in very short order.

On the other hand, many ex-mil types do well in civvy street because they can follow instructions. I worked with a lot of ex-REME and RCT several years ago and had little issues with any of them.

You need to work out if it's lack of structure, boredom or something more fundamental if you're making silly cock-ups.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
In the last three years, i've seen four 'ex-squaddies' leave good jobs, the key factors seem to be - 'that's not the way we did it in the army', no concept of time = money (to the employer), lack of communication (because 'they' don't understand me) leading to being 'hard to get on with', inability to seperate work from life (because work was life) and the main one was acceptance of civvys knowing a bit more about the subject than you.
That said, I know of a few that have used their skills to great advantage in coralling the civvys and getting them to do the job they were employed to do - but who has friends when you work in compliance?

Might help if you gave some indication of the nature of the fuck ups.

Do you disappear on Wednesday afternoons to play sport? Knock off at midday Friday? Turn up bright and early but stinking of beer because you left the club at 04:00?

Is it something related to why you left the Forces?

The_Duke

LE
On a more serious note, I made an absolute hash of my first job back after a stint on FTRS because I was slow to adjust. This was after a fairly short period of being “institutionalised” and a prior 10 years working.

Big issues were the expectation that people would by and large do what they said they would or were paid to do, the “rank” system would work and that it would be possible to raise a problem without it becoming an HR issue.

Wrong in all cases, and I kept digging the hole deeper. No amount of shiny shoes and being on time would outweigh the fact that we were working to different sets of unwritten rules.

Try to find out what the unwritten rules are. You then must make a deliberate choice to live according to them, or decide you can’t and therefore change jobs. If you stay, you might change them over time but don’t bank on it.

No amount of shiny shoes and being on time would outweigh the fact that we were working to different sets of unwritten rules.

Try to find out what the unwritten rules are.
There are two unwritten rules and they apply to both the Army and civvy street. These are:

1. Do what you're told.
2. Use your initiative.

If things go right, both organisations lead to the same outcome - nothing. You've only done what was expected of you.

If things go wrong, you'll get a bollocking from the Army but tomorrow will just be another day. In civvy street, you'll probably be spending tomorrow looking for a new job.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Survival in the private sector is about adding value, not p1ssing people off if you can possibly help it and not imperilling the various get rich quick/get promoted schemes of those above you in the hierarchy. The last one is a particular minefield for those who've been brought up with and bought into the service ethos to any degree but it will get you fired faster than anything else I know if you fall foul of it.

Hi everyone,

REGARDS, Ben
Go on. Give us some examples of your best muff ups. We're non-judgemental here, and won't laugh.

Club Swinger

War Hero
In the last three years, i've seen four 'ex-squaddies' leave good jobs, the key factors seem to be - 'that's not the way we did it in the army', no concept of time = money (to the employer), lack of communication (because 'they' don't understand me) leading to being 'hard to get on with', inability to seperate work from life (because work was life) and the main one was acceptance of civvys knowing a bit more about the subject than you.
That said, I know of a few that have used their skills to great advantage in coralling the civvys and getting them to do the job they were employed to do - but who has friends when you work in compliance?
Agreed 100%.

Using my wealth of experience and copious amount of knowledge of training and development gained in the Army, I used to teach civvies, giving lectures, presentations, seminars and workshops. Feckers never turned up on time, never brought feckall to write with or notebook, always came back late after breaks, then wanted to leave an hour (or 2) early...because "it was their turn to do the school run" Civvies..fuckem...

Club Swinger

War Hero
From what I have read on these pages, the distinctions between civvy street and service life are becoming a bit blurry in many respects.

Club Swinger

War Hero
Mentioned elsewhere, when I worked for the National Trust, I once answered the phone with 'National Front'
Either go big or go home, I say.
I got some funny looks from civvy colleagues when I answered the phone once with, "War Department, do you wanna fight" Civil Servants man, no sensayuma..

Latest Threads