Civvie Job or the Army?

Gents, as I'm currently out of work while I'm waiting to get into phase 1 I'm being made to apply for work by the Joke Shop. Today I saw a job posting, for my qualified line of work, offering a wage of 30-35k a year with 10k shift disturbance allowance. Being 21 that's a hell of a lot of cash. That being said I got a trade on the idea of rejoining that line of work after leaving the Army (after however long I am in). I was not given a place in the company I did my apprenticeship with and was gutted, but it gave me my chance to join the Army as I'd always wanted and a lot of people I know have said I'm mad to turn down that job :) I'm quite tempted to apply for it to just see what happens.

Sorry if posted in wrong place but I was just wondering what other people think about the situation?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I

Ishtar

Gents, as I'm currently out of work while I'm waiting to get into phase 1 I'm being made to apply for work by the Joke Shop. Today I saw a job posting, for my qualified line of work, offering a wage of 30-35k a year with 10k shift disturbance allowance. Being 21 that's a hell of a lot of cash. That being said I got a trade on the idea of rejoining that line of work after leaving the Army (after however long I am in). I was not given a place in the company I did my apprenticeship with and was gutted, but it gave me my chance to join the Army as I'd always wanted and a lot of people I know have said I'm mad to turn down that job :) I'm quite tempted to apply for it to just see what happens.

Sorry if posted in wrong place but I was just wondering what other people think about the situation?

Take the job and if you don't feel it meets your needs join the regs, you have time on your side. join the Reserves ( not TA anymore) as soon as you ve settled into your job and then the transition will be much easier should you decided to make it. The world is your oyster because you are 21, turn nothing down.

At 21 I was being groomed by my Sgt.......he was a great teacher........

Take the job and if you don't feel it meets your needs join the regs, you have time on your side. join the Reserves ( not TA anymore) as soon as you ve settled into your job and then the transition will be much easier should you decided to make it. The world is your oyster because you are 21, turn nothing down.

At 21 I was being groomed by my Sgt.......he was a great teacher........
I've done shift work before and it fucks with life enough without joining the reserves and having to arrange swaps and whotnot especially with people being cnuts enough that they make you cover their 12 hour night shifts over a weekend/Friday night. It's pretty much one or the other.

I'm leaning towards joining the Army anyway after a lot of thought. After all, the Army is what I always wanted to do, the job is a trade that I would fall back and something to do when I get out of the Army. That will be there in the future (I don't see chemical works going off the map anytime soon).

Just me being greedy and thinking 'mega bucks' shook my mentality for a while.

Also, being groomed by you Sgt hasn't done you any harm apart from the constant nightmares, right?

Sent from my HTC One using ARRSE mobile app

I

Ishtar

I've done shift work before and it fucks with life enough without joining the reserves and having to arrange swaps and whotnot especially with people being cnuts enough that they make you cover their 12 hour night shifts over a weekend/Friday night. It's pretty much one or the other.

I'm leaning towards joining the Army anyway after a lot of thought. After all, the Army is what I always wanted to do, the job is a trade that I would fall back and something to do when I get out of the Army. That will be there in the future (I don't see chemical works going off the map anytime soon).

Also, being groomed by you Sgt hasn't done you any harm apart from the constant nightmares, right?

Nightmares/fantasy dreams....it's all the same....

Don't forget the whole 'fall back on your trade' thing may not be entirely relevant in X years time, as companies are more and more wanting recent experience. An apprenticeship from your teens will not be relevant to chemical works in your thirties.

Personally, I'd apply for the job, and if offered it, I'd take the money and run. If you're gonna get stiffed to work weekends and work with knobheads, you may as well do it on £40k+.

Don't forget the whole 'fall back on your trade' thing may not be entirely relevant in X years time, as companies are more and more wanting recent experience. An apprenticeship from your teens will not be relevant to chemical works in your thirties.

Personally, I'd apply for the job, and if offered it, I'd take the money and run. If you're gonna get stiffed to work weekends and work with knobheads, you may as well do it on £40k+.
Yeah they may want experience but still, it's an option. This might be strange but I want the uniform, I want the title of 'soldier' but feel all that more comfortable with the supposed fallback.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm quite tempted to apply for it to just see what happens.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Go for the job. If you don't get it, problem solved. If you do get it, you don't necessarily have to accept it, but having the job offer may help you make up your mind as to whether this job or army life is best for you. If you still fancy the army, you can always turn the job offer down.

Wordsmith

Would you be able to jack the civvy job in when you got your start date for the army ? That's of course, as others have pointed out, if you get it.

To many people have turned the army down or left it after short service or even before basic has finished, in favour of a civvy job and lived to regret not joining/staying in the army. Trying to get back in to the army is not always easy, it would seem.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you turn down the job and join the army, you may regret it for a few years until you leave and find another job. If you don't join the army you will regret it forever.

35k is **** all in the scheme of things. Don't turn down a potentially enjoyable career for cash that you'll only blow on nights out.

C

cloudbuster

Go for the civvy job. The Army is pants, and you'll only end-up having to find employment when you get out anyway.

The Army isn't what it used to be. In addition to now being an unpredictable employer, it has essentially become a risk adverse fighting organization in terminal decline. Prospects for travel, foreign postings, Operational service and many other traditional attractions are at an all time low.

Take the dosh on Civvy street.

How long do you plan on staying in the army and what would you be earning in the civvy job at the time you'd be due to leave.

Civvy street and you can do your travel and adventure in your spare time with all the spondoolies you earn and zero bullshit.

"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea". Although I'm not sure about the 'sea' bit.

I''m grateful for all the replies but I am left wondering... how many of you are current serving and quite young, lets say within the colour service still? That's the POV I was hoping to get. I've seen people who were in the Army say it was the best years of their life and people who've left say they wish they hadn't but equally people say it's shit. I guess more of it is your mentality towards the job, no?. I don't know how long I would be in the Army could be 4, 8 or 10+ years, I can't say while I'm just sat here typing.

Regardless, I've stuck a CV in for that job anyway, just for laughs, but if I get offered it there will be some serious thinking time going in, if I don't get offered it, no harm done.

I was in the same boat as you didn't know wether take a job offer or join the army as it's something I've always wanted to do but I made the wise decision to take the job. Now after a four year apprenticeship and four years experience i plan on applying for the army in middle of next year so in my opinion go for the job even if you stick it out a year before you apply for the army it's a year that you have to train, get fit and save some money. We both have time on our side....for now.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm the proverbial career civilian so I can't give you any meaningful advice on joining the army. But I will leave this thought with you. If you take this civilian job at (say) £35K and hold it for a year or so, you will get used to the income. Even assuming you save a couple of hundred a month, you will have got used to a decent wage. And human nature being what it is, you will have gotten a lifestyle to suit your income: decent rented flat, high maintenance girlfriend, moderately expensive nights out.

If you join the army after that, you will take a hit in income and lifestyle. You will notice it. (I took a 1/3 hit in income when I changed careers and certainly did). So think carefully on the consequences of taking this civilian job. On the plus side, UK average wage is £25K. With your basic wage and shift allowance, you will have a good standard of living. On the minus side, once you get used to that good standard of living, you will find it increasingly difficult to take the hit in pay and living standards if you do decide to join the army.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Wordsmith

It only becomes an issue if you apply for and are offered the civvy job. Seeing it advertised and being the top contender out of potentially a couple of hundred applicants are not the same thing.

Apply for it and worry about it IF you get offered the job.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using ARRSE mobile app