Civpol drill - or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab, Oct 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was looking at pictures of the funeral of one of the 2 female PCs murdered in Manchester, and noticed none of the coppers in said picture were saluting the coffin as it passed them.

I thought compliments were paid to passing coffins.

Has plod dropped drill completely or is there some other reason?
  2. You must be a right barrell of laughs on the piss!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Maybe a salute was given on behalf of all those attending. That would negate the need for lots of ad hoc movement. A bit of dignified steadiness goes a long way.

I think the Police Standard Bearer was in attendance as well, so maybe the dipping of the Standard was seen as appropriate.
  4. Sorry - school night and looking at the Telegraph website in lieu of good TV. The military pedant in me wanted to know...
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Drill has been replaced by diversity training and it contravenes all the rules on equality to give a demeaning gesture to someone and not to others.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Of course, all that is just total bollocks.
  7. On my first day in Police training in 2007 after 24 years in the Army, I was told that marching was against my human rights by a civilian instructor.

No drill in the Police anymore.
  8. yep what he said, drill has been binned as it was deemed too demeaning to bobbies.
    the valuable time is not taken up with diversity training, and meetings with your federation rep, to see how much you can sue the force for.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You are quite right it is NOT taken up with diversity training and meetings with The Fed Reps
  10. Saluting may be deemed possibly offensive to someone, somewhere, who might or might not be without an arm.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Alternatively, having just seen a video of the hearse arriving on the news, the coppers were stood so close together than any attempt to salute would have involved smacking the person on their right in the face and looking like a complete spaz.
  12. The mounted police saluted as PC Hughes' coffin was carried into the cathedral.
  13. On radio 4 news, this morning, they said that the Police had been requested to bow their heads, rather than salute. No explanation given.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Really? REALLY!

Ye Gods!

RIP Nicola.
  15. Bang on.

CivPol has pretty much just fallen apart. The Frontline still has spirit and some bloody good officers, but senior managers and the way everything is run is just utter crap. The Boy Scouts is better run.

I once got bollocked for saluting a fellow officer (more of an informal gesture between friends) and I also got bollocked for mentioning "Bikini State Red" (as a joke) in reference to how the town centre was on the previous night - apparently I was being "too military" and this might intimidate others.

Don't ever say boo to the goose, you might frighten a Chief Superintendent into a heart attack and cause a "Critical Incident" :neutral:
    • Like Like x 2