Civilisation is making humanity less intelligent

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Intelligence and the capacity for abstract thought evolved in our prehistoric ancestors living in Africa between 50,000 and 500,000 years ago, who relied on their wits to build shelters and hunt prey.

But in more civilised times where we no longer need to fight to survive, the selection process which favoured the smartest of our ancestors and weeded out the dullards is no longer in force.

Harmful mutations in our genes which reduce our "higher thinking" ability are therefore passed on through generations and allowed to accumulate, leading to a gradual dwindling of our intelligence as a species, a new study claims."

Civilisation is making humanity less intelligent, study claims - Telegraph

Intelligence degrading mutations passed on through generations and accumulated in horribly shallow gene pools? For some reason Rhyl and Prestatyn spring to mind
    • Like Like x 1
  2. To be honest I've always thought this to be the case. The fact we've got so good at fixing people when they've done epically stupid things which should kill them and allowing them to continue their lives and breed probably doesn't do much for the gene pool. I am however aware that if medics didn't fix idiots I'd be dead or at least seriously crippled.
  3. Alphas and Epsilons, or Eloi and Morlocks?

It will end up as one or the other.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Utter, utter bollocks.

The next half-century will see an increase in intelligence such that we become gods.
  5. Oi. now come on we nearly have a Tesco's!!
  6. there's one in Conwy

I had breakfast there a while ago ,and very nice it was too.
    • Like Like x 1

7. See, and they call us uncultured!
  8. This is not true.

Go to the Medway towns, the people who live there are really uncivilised and yet they are all thick as fcuk.

Perhaps it the execption that proves the rule though.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I suppose this explains why you lot don't understand my jokes. :)

(I put the smiley in as a hint.)
  10. We have to give nature the benefit of the doubt, after all it got us all this far without our meddling with it much.

I'm sure that Heroin, Meth, Crack and Krokodil are just three of the new evolutionary tools in nature's toolbox!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I trust you did that on purpose.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they probably have a point, while we are becoming more technological and pure science is allowed to evolve the bulk of us while tech capable are now mentally and manually inept. similar our physical skills

common sense is certainly being devolved

I think the most truthful scenario of our future is in the film wall-e

that and soylent green :)
  13. 'Heroin, meth, and crack, are our main evolutionary tools, and Krocodil. FOUR of our evolutionary tools are Heroin, meth...'
  14. O.K. bang to rights, but I'm still fighting off an attack launched by the older evolutionary tools known as Krombacher and Muhlentropfen!
    • Like Like x 2