Civilians beheaded in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kybosh, Aug 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seventeen civilians have been beheaded in Afghanistan, local officials say, with 10 Afghan soldiers killed in a separate incident.

The civilians died in Musa Qala district, in the southern province of Helmand on Sunday night.

The 10 soldiers were killed in the same province when insurgents attacked a security checkpoint also on Sunday.

Meanwhile, an Afghan soldier reportedly killed two foreign soldiers on Monday in eastern Laghman province.

"Last night 17 local villagers, two women and 15 men, were beheaded by unknown people in Kajaki district," Daud Ahmadi, a spokesman for Helmand province, told Agence-France Presse (AFP) news agency.

"We don't know who was behind the killings at this time. We're investigating," he added.

'Insider plot'

The attack on the 10 soldiers took place in Washir district. It left four other Afghan soldiers injured and at least another five missing, reports said.

It is not clear whether they were abducted or went with the attackers voluntarily.

"There was an attack on one of our posts in Washir district. Ten soldiers are dead in that attack," Col Mohammad Ismaiel Hotak, deputy head of the regional co-ordinating body for the Afghan army and the US-led Nato force, was quoted by AFP as saying.

But Daud Ahmadi told AFP that the attack was an "insider plot". "Five others have gone with the Taliban with their guns," he said.

Both officials said that the incident was being investigated.

Attacker killed

The incident in Langhman province is one of at least 12 so-called "green on blue" attacks by Afghan security personnel on international troops this month. The nationality of the soldiers who were killed is not yet known.

"Isaf [International Security Assistance Force] soldiers returned fire and killed the attacker," an ISAF spokesman told AFP.

A total of 42 Isaf personnel have been killed by members of the Afghan security forces this year.

Currently, approximately 130,000 ("blue") Nato troops are fighting insurgents in Afghanistan alongside 350,000 ("green") Afghans.
  2. For anyone who knows the area, it sounds like the east of Musa Qaleh towards kajaki is still a hot bed of activity
  3. Bloody savage attack!

I fear for my Afghan former colleagues and mates after ISAF pulls out, I really do.
  4. Yes, so it's all been a bit... well... POINTLESS really.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. I thought when the Yanks moved in, with all their vehs, men and new ideas, taht MSQ became all quite and lush... that's what they said anyway.

Greensleaves is pumped out of speakers in the DC, so that you can bask in the beauty that is the market place and crossing point.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Somebody explain to me, please, how staying to 2014 instead of leaving NOW will make any difference to 2020 Afghanistan?

As to the odd beheading of civilians, I imagine that is just a quaint local custom.
  7. Sorry tale, I have always believed some good would come of our involvement in Afghanistan but it seems the country will return to its primitive stone-age ways in the not to distant future.
  8. Agreed but I never understood why more of an effort wasn't made in pacifying areas to the east. Mullah Salaams back garden. We stirred it up on Herrick 7 but never went back in numbers again. Spent time in the Mullahs compound on Herrick 11 but it's an eerie place and made my arse twitch no end.

Not sure if the USMC exploited the area after we left.
  9. Nothing really new,at least they didn't do it in the Kabul football stadium as they did in the 'Good old Days'.Maybe it was in retaliation for the killing (supposed) of Badruddin Haqqani.9th century behavior in the 21st century....
  10. It seems to me that some countries reach a certain level of cultural development, and then go no further; most of Africa, large areas of Asia. No matter what new technology or ideas are fed in the nation as a whole will return to its original mindset, Afghanistan would seem to be one such. The methods used might change, taped calls to the faithful, but the ideas will not change at all.

I would suggest that within a decade the country will be pretty much as it was before the Russians came in the 80s. We should have learned from the last expeditions in the 19th century and kept well away. And yes, get out now.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes, the Yanks - USMC - were there in numbers, but they are pulling out of Helmand ASAP. Come September we (UK) will be very nearly the biggest force in Helmand again - and as regards actual soldiers (as opposed to air, support etc) almost certainly so. There'll be a LOT of pressure on the Brits to move into areas ewhere the ANSF is getting a shoeing - I hope that the PM has the balls to say 'no' when the call comes to move into Kajaki, Now Zad, MSQ, etc. - and I would not be surprised if that call came fom the UK military...

Of course, far more likely is that the Talibs and the ANSF will reach a local agreement. It's happening already in many areas, and the ANSF know full well who is leaving Helmand, and who is staying - staying after 2014, that is.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It has, we have become experts at keeping people alive after life threatening incidents. These medical advancements are already feeding into civilian medical procedures.

But unfortunately, I cannot think of much else.
  13. Like this, you mean?

Oddly enough, we seem to have enjoyed better relations with Afghanistan in the not too distant past: :)
    • Like Like x 2
  14. More foreign graves to be managed in behalf of the CWGC, perhaps?
  15. Like Dunservin says, if we could get Afghanistan to what it was in the 70's it would be a win.

Stability, education and assistance (food, electric etc) in that order of priority.