• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Civilianised Military words & phrases - a historical Ctrl, F5.

Sad as it sounds, we quite often use "Clear Blind, Clear Visual" when trying to get out of a blind or awkward junction, if I cant see the road on the passenger side, I will say clear blind and the wife will check and replies clear visual, I don't move until she utters the words. Works well, taken from blind pilotage exercises on a pussers war canoe
As a newbie Reservist - my instructor gave us the following piece of advice, Before slagging some off (usually senior) you should:

Clear Stern Arcs

OR

All round sweep (Sundodgers)

OR

Check six (WAFU)

Talking of aviators - the term 'Wingman' is of shipborne and not aviation origin.

Can' t believe you missed

Long john silver' s left steaming bat
Also missing are, More time off than:

Percy Thrower's lawnmower

Stephen Hawking's treadmill

and

Lord Nelson's starboard anti-flash glove.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My favourite is "Thick as two shore planks." Cause I hear it all the time and every daft bugger says, "Short planks."
Heard that before, any confirmation?

Surprisingly, not. Most dictionary sites say the earliest example of it is from 1974. Though my uncle, a naval bloke through and through, took great pains to teach me the naval origins of lots of common sayings.

He reckoned it was either naval or Navvy in origin and had just become misquoted.

Surprisingly, not. Most dictionary sites say the earliest example of it is from 1974. Though my uncle, a naval bloke through and through, took great pains to teach me the naval origins of lots of common sayings.

He reckoned it was either naval or Navvy in origin and had just become misquoted.
I'm sure I remember references to short planks in the late 60s when I first became interested in artillery..!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Never heard shore planks. Always short planks.