Civilian terror threat graver than WWII - Ian BLiar

Leadership in the civilian police? Don't make me laugh!

Sir Ian needs to spend more time looking after his lads and lasses than spouting egocentric bollox.

bobthedog said:
He also claimed the history of a christmas market which was targeted in Germany...... Funny that I always thought Strasbourg was in France. Maybe his geography isn't up to scratch!
There was a threat against a German Xmas market but I can´t remember which one this was, it was either thwarted before the bombers could place the charge or it was still in the planning stages.AQ wannabees?

Also most bombs up till now have been purely of the explosive blast/shrapnel type,thankfully;I just hope that nobody get hold of that stuff that killed the russian ex-spy and wraps that in a bomb!That will really ruin your Xmas,Easter and a couple of non-religious holidays,the threat is real and I hope that Ian Blair will proved to be wrong, however ´till then the police and inteligence agencies are our only hope of preventing a massacre that would make an attack WW2 style(V2 2000 casualties in London?),pale into insignificance.

Merry Xmas!

TopBadger said:
Link here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/...m=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&nol_storyid=6202935

Right... where does this guy get off... how exactly can a terrorist group impose a larger threat than the whole of Nazi Germany armed with tanks, guns, bombs, etc?
Tanks are negligible weapons compared with the power of Gator-aide.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Sources_August_Terror_Plot_Fiction_Underscoring_0918.html

Riddle me this: Why does Sir Ian still have a job?

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
TopBadger said:
Link here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/...m=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&nol_storyid=6202935

Right... where does this guy get off... how exactly can a terrorist group impose a larger threat than the whole of Nazi Germany armed with tanks, guns, bombs, etc?

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Sources_August_Terror_Plot_Fiction_Underscoring_0918.html

Because he will reliably spout the party line/script when wheeled on to the Today program without going all flustered and cross like Beckett?

He has a vested interest in promoting the threat. Greater threat = bigger budget.

Granted, there is a threat and a lot of (expensive) work is being done to counter it. However, AQ = AH? I think not.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
TopBadger said:
Link here:

Looked at the link and was surprised to see the ex-ATO saying things like `dangerous to the user`and `highly instable`.FFS these guys were going to die anyway whether the liquid bomb blew up in the toilet of the ´plane or elsewhere.I think he was referring to IRA run like fcuk,more than happily dying for Allah,that these explosives were highly dangerous was the reason for the ´flap´at heathrow.

There was also a Dutch or German film depicting the same scenario about 10 years ago,but at a football match with a right wing terrorist,the technology is there if you want it and are prepared to die for the cause.

In a strictly limited sense he's quite right. Your average Londoner is in more danger of being killed in London by a muslim terrorist nowadays, than by a muslim terrorist in London between 1939 - 45.

Strangely there is far less chance nowadays of being blown in London up by the bombload of a Heinkel 111, a V1 or a V2 than there was in the forties... Quick! let's disband the RAF and the Royal Artillery and expand the Community Support Officers of the Metropolitan Police!

Oh, I see they're ahead of me on that one.

Themanwho said:
Strangely there is far less chance nowadays of being blown in London
Now that's true......its been ages since I have been blown in London.....

bob_lawlaw said:
I considered that when John Humphries introduced him as "Britain's most senior policeman" the scene was being set.
Someone out there please assist.... but isn't the officer who holds the title of 'Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Police' (or thereabouts) perceived to be "Britain's most senior police officer?" The last incumbant being Sir Ronnie Flanaghan that I'm aware of.
Thought the whole interview was two mince pies short of a fireside chat. Sir IB said little that impressed as a leader of the 'Force' other than to deflect matters towards either Box 500 or the 'Airport Authorities' less the WW11 comment. Humphries reminded him that in Dubai the Airport system there had no compunction about 'veil raising' That was followed by 2 minutes of PC distribe and which in all, is the best of what I've come to expect from this character. At no point in this pre Christmas session did I ever feel that I was listening to a leader of men.... most disconcerting for us all.
i may be wrong but as I recall Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary isn't actually a police officer in the sense that he doesn't have a constable's powers.
I understand that Chief Constables don't either but may be I'm wrong on that too. I'm sure we'll be told.

Doesn't stop BliarII being a tit though.

The War On Terror Is Over if You Want It.
( It only existed in our heads anyway. )

TopBadger said:
Now then, now then ' everyone dies' Imperial Japan and 'style conscious' Fascist Italy PLUS '80 million focused Germans' Nazi Germany - lets get our facts right after all we are NOT called Blair are we?

Almost as dangerous as AQ.

How this t*sser thinks that the public will buy this is beyond me.

maninblack said:
Dear Sir,

Have any of your readers noticed the remarkable similarity between the twaddle spoken by Bliar (sic) and the twaddle spoken by The Other Blair about threats to our society?

Are they in some way related? I think we should be told.

MiB (With apologies to Private Eye)
Indeed!

There is a common denominator:- Rory Bremner! 8O

His impersonation of Ian Bliar has an uncanny similarity (watch the nervous grin) to his impersonation of T-ony Bliar.

Since Mr Bremner is a most accomplished impersonator I can only assume that this is intentional and designed to bring the uncanny likeness to our attention... :roll:

I think you are being very harsh on the poor man, and potentially extremely foolish. Its far better to take precautions than not, and how stupid would we look if he was right?

After all, not all of us believed the stories put out by his comrades in the government in 2003 about Saddam having WMD at 45 minutes notice, and how foolish do we all look now? Mmm? How? Well? Yes?

TopBadger said:
Even then how are AQ a greater level of threat??

If Nazi Germany on your doorstep is threat level 10, then a few blokes with a rucksac is level 11 is it? I hope these people are fit, it's going to take a lot of big rucksacs to effect greater damage on the civilian populus of the east end of london than the germans managed... let alone the rest of UK.

You're absolutely right we can't compare WWII and AQ, my blood boils that Sir Ian is even attempting it!!

[edited for mong grammer]
Look what a few blokes with holdalls did in Spain, though I think the British will not buckle like the Spanish did.

Its not just scaremongering, its an insult to thousands of brave Londoners who were blown to bits every week for years.

Is everyone with that surname a muppet? Looks like it.