Civilian Medical Practice

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by sean956, Mar 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys. would appreciate your thoughts regarding something which occurred today. I was side-swiped off my bike at lunch-time by a driver who stated 'he didn't see me' - usual response I'm sure you may have heard previously. After the ambulance and police had been and gone and the driver had admitted it was all his fault, I went to my local medical practice (I am not registered with them) to ask if I could see either a nurse or doctor to get some ant-inflamatories - knees and shoulder. The reception informed me that as I was a member of the military I must go to my doctor and they could not see me. Now as a good tax payer I assumed they would see me, perhaps I am niaive but couldn't believe they refused to see me. Is this normal?

Many thanks

2. You aren't registered with that practice a&e would have been the place to go.

3. They can get paid for you as a temporary resident but you can't register with them.

4. Whilst disgraceful, sadly not untypical.

'Course they could've seen you, what's to stop them? You might've had to wait or come back, but there is nothing to stop you being seen. BTW, for these purposes, you (who pays Income Tax and National Insurance, and has both National Insurance and NHS Numbers) are a member of the public, which trumps the excuse you were given regarding your service status. You can be both, you know.

Unfortunately, access to (NHS) practice and its practitioners is more often than not "gate-kept" by some unfulfilled psychopathic munter, basking in the reflected glory and importance of the modern medical deity. This genus tends, unilaterally and collectively, to see patients as a major inconvenience to the smooth running of appointment clinics, coffee breaks and finishing times. Did the medic get to know you were requesting a consultation? Thought not.

Next time (hope there isn't a next time btw) ask to see the practice manager regarding your request, and, if no joy ensues, ask for a copy of their complaints procedure and the name of the Trust's Chief Exec. It won't get you seen, but it will piss them off, or maybe even give them occasion to "reconsider".

Land fit for heroes? 'Kin Outrageous.

5. I'd imagine they could have seen him as a temporary resident if they had time. If they didn't which is likely in this case a&e is for accidents and emergencies oddly enough.

6. Not so. you can go to any practice. Your NHS records are just as accessible to them as they are to any A&E, and they have a responsiblity to treat, within reason. Someone who is able to call at a General Practice should, by and large, not be diverted to A&E.

7. So if the GP's clinic is full and s/he won't see any extra of their own patients, they'll see someone who isn't ? Yeah course they will.

8. If the clinic is full it doesn't mean there's no-one to see you. There's the dramatically named but otherwise mundane emergency clinic (i.e. not appointment-based), and many practices have a senior "Prescribing" nurse who can make you up a scrip. I always find that a positive mental approach works best, incidentally.

9. You mean an NHS walk in centre? If you have one then yes that might be better than going to a GP surgery. A nurse prescriber may write a prescription if they have time but it's unlikely at a GP's surgery that you'll be able to take priority.

10. As always quick and sensible responses, many thanks guys. For clarity I'm pleased that the ambulance crew didn't ask why the military didn't come and sort me out. The civvie practice was empty btw. I will visit them tomorrow and ask for their complaints procedure, I live in the village and it has hit a nerve to be treated this way. I'm old fashioned and believe A&E is for emergency, I was aching and sore hence pills not A&E's important time. Once again many thanks, greatly appreciated.

11. No-one suggested priority, just a brief consultation when reasonably practicable.

Go on, you're worth it...

12. Errrr no they don't if they are PMS

13. If it was empty it probably suggests the GP was out doing visits/meetings etc.

14. Well if they have no free appointments, then yes you are expecting to take priority.

15. GP practices are told (often) that they can't register members of the Forces because the money for them comes from a different budget unless there is no military doctor in the area, in which case you register with a civilian GP and they get paid from the Defence budget. However, you can be seen as a temporary resident so maybe this is (yet again) a case of mixed messages.
    There is a leaflet http://www.nff.org.uk/pdfdocs/doh.pdf that explains this.
    So, yes, they should have treated you but obviously didn't know the rules.
    Perhaps a strongly worded letter to your local PCT might get the message across.
    (PS. As an ex squaddie and ex practice manager, I can assure you we used to treat members of the Forces on leave in the local area in quite a lot of cases.)