Civilian helicopter crash in Afghanistan

They might have hovered for too long, it can create a torus around the helicopter and you run out of air in the middle to keep passing over the blades.

Then you drop out of the sky.

Was one of ours over two years ago now. None of the crew have flown since due to severity of the injuries received, but they all got out alive which is the main thing!

I`m far from being an academic but I still got my license, it`s the old story , if you want something bad enough you will get it.
Well I genuinely envy you, my time is long past for that sort of thing, but as a young chap in the middle east there was a trawl out for young thrusters for a job as observers in the scout-sioux type and if you showed any sort of aptitude or promise it would have put you on the first step to applying for training,well I never bothered owing to the fact that I needed all my time for tanning on the beach and drinking....spot the loony, always regretted that.

One of ours as in RAF?? looked like a Mi-17 to me.
Nope, not I'm RAF anymore (I can't be arsed to put ex in front of username). Ours as in belonging to current employer ..... It was an Mi8-MTV-1, civilian operated at Kalagush.

Luckily it didn't burst into flames unlike our 2 Class A's this year, in which the crews weren't quite so fortunate.

One of ours as in RAF?? looked like a Mi-17 to me.
Which thinking about it opens up the possibilty that it was built before I was born and it dropped out of the sky because one of the blades simply broke and pinged off.

I am ******* amazed it didn't go up in flames though considering the interesting fuel tank/round top bench seat arangement in the back.

Which thinking about it opens up the possibilty that it was built before I was born and it dropped out of the sky because one of the blades simply broke and pinged off.
Only if you were born in the late 90s, IIRC the oldest we operate was built in 94 - which compared to green air makes it a spring chicken.

Unfortunately the cause attributed was a common one for helos that operate hot, high and heavy - the unfortunate tendency to run out of tail rotor authority.

Only if you were born in the late 90s, IIRC the oldest we operate was built in 94 - which compared to green air makes it a spring chicken.

Unfortunately the cause attributed was a common one for helos that operate hot, high and heavy - the unfortunate tendency to run out of tail rotor authority.
Didn't look like a tail rotor failure at all, due to fact it wasn't coming down in a nice flat spin from which no one would have walked away from.

Latest Threads