Civilian employment while on GRT & Termination Leave

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by JAYC, Mar 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just been offered employment with my County Council,they want me to start Mid-April 10. But my termination leave starts 28th May 10. Can I start the job on my GRT leave and take a wage from them without affecting my pension (22 yrs). Emergency Tax etc???? My RAO said that I can only do work placement till my termination leave starts. Is he right???
  2. Do they pay you a month in lieu? ie, do they expect you to work for 1 month before your first wage comes in?

Edited. Just noticed it's your termination leave date and not your termination date.

Cancel my last.
  3. Your RAO is correct.

You can take up employment from the start of your termination leave - or earlier if you have annual leave to add on.

You can take up the job earlier than that by using your GRT for a Civ work attachment (no pay because you are on mil duty but you can claim for your T&S)
  4. Speak to your potential employer, ask if you can work for the period of your GRT for free but get a golden hello (which just happens to be the same amount youd have received if youd been employed by him for the period worked cash free) on the day you start for real on the first day of your terminanal leave.
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I started work 2 weeks before my terminal leave started.
    Was open with my employer, didn't tell military as I was on my residual annual leave.
    Employer taxed at BR (Basic rate). No problems at all.
  6. I left and was working throughout my termination process. I never told the military and in any case you have to secure your future not thiers. Think selfish dont tell them. Many others will have done the same as me and not worried one iota.
  7. Spot On Range Stew,

I did exactly the same as you.

You have done your time and now it is all about the future and it is double bubble!!!!!

8. As an aside I was paid legit by my civ employers. I put it through the tax office and paid the right tax (albeit a little more than what I wanted to).

I knew my chain of command knew I was working and lied and bluffed. One days news gets consumed by the OC's intray.

I never heard anything from the Army, my employers or the tax office since.

You have to get the mindset of if they do find out so what! When you are out the calls stop and you are number one.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The only thing you HAVE to do is pay the correct tax. That's all the tax office are interested in. The fact that your still in the military is an irrelevance, it's just a second job to them.
  10. Take it from the us, it is just second income. CivDiv dont care like the chain of command.
  11. I'm in the same boat as you, but have been told find a job and we will let you go early.
  12. I was lucky and got six months gardening leave, well 2 days to do the garden and I worked the rest, the money came in handy doing up the house prior to my termination grant and pension starting. BR tax no problems no questions asked.
  13. Your going to civvy street ...dont tell no ferker, thats the way it works out here , time to take care of No 1 now.
    I worked for about 5 months before I was out and paid BR tax, when you get your paper work from the Army after you leave give it to the 17 year old pay dogs boddy in the council and they'll sort it out .....enjoy. :D
  14. I got out on redundancy in the early 90's. Although I was, on paper, in the army til 30 September I started my civvy job, with OC's knowledge, in the April. As others have said, when near the end of your time just ignore the army as completely as they'll ignore you the day you leave.