Civilian Down Under

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nik_kershaw, Nov 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else made the move down under as a civilian rather than a transfer to the ADF? If so how did you get on with employment?
  2. my uncle moved their a few years ago, he was in the TA, staff sergeant i think, he got a job on the HGV'S. pretty sure he got it very quick too, but i think he had some trouble over hours or something at the start.
  3. I made the move in 96 ,was 53 years old at the time, was in a bit of a rut in UK did not have a proverbial pot to piss in,absolutely no problems with finding work, if you have recognised trade qualifications no problem with getting a job, even more so if you are prepared to work in land away from the big cities,retired here in 2000, , I recommend anyone who is determined enough to make the break with UK and are willing to work and would also like a better future, go for it!! 8)
  4. Moved down in '89, spent 14 or so years there, nice place to live (although now back in UK). Work is pretty easy to find no matter what your job, so long as you're willing to work hard and present well (pretty much like anywhere).

There's really no downside, other than the place is full of Aussies. Definitely a better quality of life, but it's very, very parochial (forget any genuine international news coverage)..........oh, and they cheat at sport.
  5. I made move exactly 1 year ago. It's went pretty well for me - new home, new job, better prospects all round and am enjoying it. Like every move one makes - and I did plenty in my 25 years in the mob - you learn to adjust quickly and look for the positives and opportunities. There are plenty here - what you do have to do though is maintain a positive and "can do" attitude as there is very much a sink or swim environment here.

The overall job market is bouyant and in better nick than the UK currently - it will be 2/3 years tioll the UK gets its self in order, if at all. I found a rather good job withy salary approx 40% over what i was earnning in my last job in UK - and I considered myself well-rewarded back there too.

The exchange rate from Aus to UK is highly favourable and has deprreciated nicely for us ex-Pats who still have a need to move money back to UK regularly (not so nice if you have to come the other way though - ouch!).

PM me if you need any specifics about the move - everyone's circumstances are different and how or what motivates you will also be different too. Good luck!

6. I moved to Aussie in the late 1980's and have been in continuous employment ever since.

My tip for you, as a former Migration Agent, is if you do intend to make the big move do your research first before a skills assessment and visa application. Just passing on the info I used to give my clients, under the points system here for Skilled Independent, they look for age (you lose points after age 30), skills and qualifications, with min 3 years experience in your industry sector, if you have employment lined up you will need to supply official notification with your app, and English language ability. Obviously you must be in good health (this will apply to any secondary applicants on your visa), and a full character check. Also location is important, the major metro areas are out as far as living arrangements are concerned, so do your research on the state markets employment wise. At application phase, processing could take 12 months. In tems of timelines for visa approval, these have also changed. The quota has been reduced on the skills stream visas, so even if your application is approved you may not be granted entry for up to 2 years.

The employment market here has changed in the past two years. Although Aussie fared better than most with the GEC, employment prospects aren't what they used to be. The govt has made a big push for the up-skilling of the domestic market as opposed to issuing temp 457's for foreign workers.

As others have said in the thread there are good opportunities here, all you need is a good attitude. Two websites that will aid you. The second is for migration agents, there are sharks out there, so all who practice migration law must be registered. For a minimal cost they will assess you before you proceed, they will also be able to offer advice on other visa categories that would better suit your circumstances, plus will be the best placed people to advise you on visa timelines. There are other websites under the main Aus Govt portal that will give you a heads up on the employment situation, look under employment and workplace relations.

Good luck :)
  7. i made the move back after 18 or so years in 2007 no recognised trades but employers will give you a go on the old ill give you a day for free to make your mind up.

i had all my licences from being MT but in QLD you will need to take a test and its worth a weeks training to get used to the eaton fuller roadranger gearboxes

after that i did my multi combination upgrade for roat trains i mucked about doing that for a while, but it felt like i was on exercise all the time living in a basha by the side of the road

so using my "recce mech" expieriences and by that i mean being towed in bedfords a lot and pulling stuff out of the mud

i got a job in heavy recovery and towing knowlege of the job wasnt needed since there was heaps of training

so yeah there isnt much problems getting the work in a short awnser i spose
  8. Can be tricky in Canberra, where a lot of jobs you need to be an Aussie citizen to get clearance.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Who would want to live and work in Canberra?

I've not moved there permanently, but have been going back on and off for the last 10 years.

Finding work depends on what you do, as it does anywhere. I'm in telecomms and it has peaks and troughs, hence why I move around the world to where the work is.

One simple point is living there will give you a much better standard of living than the UK.

The place has its niggles, like anywhere, but theres few places in the world I would rather live.
  10. If you apply for a position in the Australian Public Sector, Australia wide, you must be a permanent resident having resided in Oz for at least 4 years, and an undertaking will be required to apply for Aus citizenship. You don't have to give up your Brit citizenship, however certain positions require you to be P.V'd which would mean a conflict of interests if your a dual national, consequently, if you want the position you would be required to give up your dual status.
  11. Yes a good link, and have to agree with most of it having been over visiting family who emigrated 4 years ago., they had little difficulty getting work both having been R.A.M.C. and N.H.S. nursing staff, but admit to having struggled with the culture shock, as well as commenting on the rise in crime and surprisingly ( to them ) racism. Having said that they have no regrets, especially as their now teenage kids have a much better "laid back " outlook on life. its not for me/us personally, but good luck, have a go. :D
  12. I live in Oz, and even I agree with the article. Its over priced and over rated. I always go overseas for holidays. Bali, Cambodia, Malaysia et all are just up the road, so to speak, and are far better value in terms of money and culture. Indonesia is a darn side qicker to get to than the eastern states! Going home to UK this year :D.....I must get that swine flu jab! :lol:

I have to agree with the level of racism here, its disturbing! One second they are Aussies, next they are Anglo Saxons! :? Some here have a very bad case of psychosis.
  13. Okay, We have been here for 4 months having relocated from the UK. My previous career back in the UK was that of an Insurance Underwriter and my Wife was a Catering Manager.

The one shock I have experienced is in securing employment. I appreciate that Australia too has been affected by the recession of late but that does not account for all of my experience.

Being expected to jump through hoops does not come near to explaining what appears to be a well oiled cultural defense mechanism I fear. I am either 'over qualified' for roles I have applied for, otherwise there's additional qualifications that are required desipte the fact that you have been doing the job competently and professionally for years.

The fact is that I am actually an Australian citizen and have been since birth but because I am relocating to Australia with a strong Pom accent it is assumed that I am a Pom and my subsequent experience reflects that.

The truth here is that it is not what you know but who you know. I have family here who have lived here all their lives and they readily admit that, It's about networking here and who you know and who knows who as much as your skills set.

Only now, 4 months on am I beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel and employment possibilities developing. But there is nothing that can be done to change that, you have to endure and overcome it.

Things move at snail pace here too, here in WA some will tell you it stands for Wait Awhile, it's more like wait forever. Actually our kids have done quite well in the 4 months and have been more quickly accepted than perhaps we have as mature adults.

My response has been to adopt the bloody minded stubberness of the Ausies, I refuse to take no for an answer, I challenge when declined and I refuse to give up, keep kicking the doors and eventually one is bound to open.

Living costs are relative I would say and some things are indeed expensive but the lifestyle and environment are second to none.
  14. Hi Nighthawk,

I'm hopefully heading 'down-under' in August/September. Wife's Australian & kids have Australian passports, i'm just waiting on a visa.

Interesting what you say about attitude towards Poms, i have not doubt that i will find it hard going to get a job, at least initially. Hopefully if everything works out we are taking over a small business on the Central Coast, NSW. I'm hoping that because we already have friends and family there life will be easier. Here's hoping anyway!