Civilian doctors attached to Army

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by jamie_the_second, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do civilian doctors appointed to Army bases tend to be regarded by uniformed personnel ? Is there a degree of integration professionally and socially ?
    These posts which are periodically advertised sound interesting, though do seem to pay less than NHS posts.
    The client group would hopefully also be rather more polite and less unreasonable than is increasingly the case in NHS practice.
    Any comments ?

2. They will regard you, the same as if you were a uniformed medic. Although it is quite hard, wether uniformed or not, to earn a reputation as a good doctor.

But hey,no old people!!!

3. Ah, but wot's old ??????

4. Civilian Doctors who get thrown into the mix with the green folks tend to have a chaparone for a short period of time until they find their feet militarily. Although their expertise in the medical field withing the civilian environment is substantial, they tend to suffer slightly with the military world as its quite "unique". The commander of any unit will appoint someone to baby sit and enlighten the doctor to the real factors involved in military medicine, as a rule it is usually an MO with a sound footing and fair experience, but occasionally it could be anyone available who doesn't have 4 jobs to do and has the time to educate. I would not worry too much about though, doctors are doctors, you either know your job or you don't, the boys on the ground will look after you for the triv and niff naff, and the chaparone MO will sort you out with field medicine or med centre/MRS protocols etc.

Of course this all depends on where your are going to be employed.

Best of luck with it and if you have any specific questions then send me a pm and I'll be happy to help.

5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The docs at Kirton were despised

6. I have found Civilian Doctors are far better than military doc's as they actually look at your problem instead of giving you a roll of tubi-grip and a bottle of ibuprofen !! The only trouble is they are not usually at the MRS for a long period..

7. Spanish_Dave

Really, I recall a young (pregnant) soldier involved in an RTA who went to the doc very worried and was told to have a can of coke :? I recall a med centre full of soldiers not being attended to as the doc was late, he eventually turned up an hour late with a roof rack full of surfing eqpt, that cost a couple of days work in terms of wasted soldiers hours :twisted:

8. I treat civilian Doctors with the same respect as Military Doctors. I don't wash for a week before an appointment! Seriously though, they are qualified Doctors there to help. I address them as sir, ma'am or Doctor as appropriate. In return they are polite and professional as you'd expect (and they give me all the Prozac I want!)

On Op Granby there were Dutch civilian Doctors drafted in due to shortages. They were given a 'commission' in the field for the duration of their time in the Gulf. As far as I remember they were paid well above the odds. Also they were very, very dull!

9. Spanish_Dave

doomandgloom, I agree, treat them with respect as they are obviously doctors, however I believe that when money comes into it they become oblivious as to why they are there, they may give a sick note to a civilian for one reason in a clinic in a civilian practice in the morning and not to a soldier in the afternoon in the med centre, why??

10. Do any of you actually have any experience of working withCMPs? They do NOT deploy in the Field..they are not hand held and they tend to usually appear in the larger Medical Centres. To be honest most CMPs are happy to have the Army 'Gig', no out of hours etc. Added to this there is the £50,000 golden handshake for a qualified GP (if you take the shilling) and the bonus of a job for life with no deployments.

Edited a second time to add.....of course you can always get the bonuses as well on the backs of the CMTs who will do all the bone jobs required to qualify for the extra £8000 a year DRs get for meeting their targets (in accordance with the NHS guidelines)

11. I can't answer your question EXBQMS because I don't know the answer. However, maybe I'm just lucky but recently civilian Doctors have asked me what duties I'd like to be excused (chit) and how long bedded down (off work) for! I think they are not totally in tune to how we operate and over compensate by taking no chances and being very cushty.

12. Medical staff are in the main friendly but I do believe that you must first pass the attitude test! fail it and no biff chit for you my lad. Doom and Gloom we meet at last (strokes cat) :twisted:

13. the only civillian m.o i met on op granby was a neurosurgeon,and he was comissioned and sent to 33 gen hosp as we did not have a surgeon for our neuro team,was glad to have him ,he knew his stuff and adapted well.

14. Hmmm... I'm glad you could make it Dutch Paddy. Please, take a seat. (Wryly raising monocled eyebrow of scarred face) 8)

15. My wife worked as a CMP for a couple of years - had a great time. None (or very little!) of the crap you have to put up with in civilian practice: everyone very polite (!!!), staff supportive & generally very efficient, lots of laughs, and the patients were generally appreciative of what was done for them.