Civil Service recruitment freeze

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by js374, May 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Does anybody know what is going on a regards the CS recruitment freeze. Just that I finish uni this Friday and am supposed to start work in the CS (MOD) soon but nobody seems to know what is going on. I signed a contract back in January but the recruitment person there seems to have no idea whether this will be honoured.

If all contracts are off there are going to be a hell of a lot of pissed of graduates this summer. This is particularly annoying for me as I turned down interviews with BAE and QinetiQ due to having already been placed.

One more for the NEET list...
  2. I'd have thought that you'd be ok if you've already signed a contract........but I may well be wrong.
  3. That is what I thought but the reply of effectively "dunno" to my query did not instil confidence.
  4. Yea I would have thought so to. Plus there are still jobs beong advertised and knowing what is happening within DE&S at the moment I suspect those jobs already cleared will go through and that there may be a cut off date
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Jobs are being prioritised. I retire on Thursday and my job has not been advertised, nor is it likely to be. And it's a similar thing across the service as a whole. Ongoing applications may be honoured, but future ones are very tenuous.
  6. Don't get your hopes up mate. A friend of mine has been waiting to start on a temp job - she has passed all the interviews etc, but it's "we are not sure now".

All Temp contracts are being binned
  7. Thats about the way I see it

Where you retriring from OfH I know you stalk my neck of the woods
  8. I presume you are on the faststream? If you are, I wouldn't worry unduly - you most likely get a job. From what I've heard within my department (DWP) is that this year's intake will get placed, but at the very worse postponed until possibly next year. Keep ringing the person in charge of the Faststream because I'm sure things will be much clearer by the end of the week - I think the civil service was slightly taken aback by this freeze, which broadly speaking will affect temporary/agency jobs...
  9. Hopefully it won't last as long as it has for us!!!

Ours was announced on 27 March 2009 and will last to at least the end of this year. There are only a few exemptions (each individual post must be okayed by the Minister of Finance (himself)).

It covers recruitment & promotions, fixed term contracts, seasonal workers, even the RDF (TA) who only get around 2 weeks pay per year (less this year due to more cut backs).

No acting ranks, no acting pay etc etc

Even competitions that had been advertised were effected.
  10. The job I am talking about is not the fast-stream (though I have got onto that as well) it is simply a graduate vacancy within a department. I was hoping to postpone the fast-stream entrance until later in the year/early next year and work for MOD for the preceding time to gain more experience. I accepted the MOD job early in the year when the fast-stream was a distant aim and I don't think it would give a good impression to pull out of that month or so before my start date (which was sorted out ages ago)
  11. Its not rocket science phone PPPA up.
  12. Ahh right! I would still ring again towards the end of the week for further clarification.
  13. Quite frankly if you are this stupid you deserve to be in the civil service.

300,000 to go - now that's what I call an excellent start!
  14. So if you were applying for multiple jobs and you got the one you wanted you would string the others along making them waste their time and money on you?
  15. No. I'd attend the interviews, compare the offers, look at the relative merits of each job; the challenge, the responsibility, the potential for progression and make an informed decsion.

You've just opted for the soft option, a cosseted existence of shuffling paper, putting off decisions, creating nothing but delay and adding cost, instead of;
    BAE - working in the real world designing and building real solutions to real requirements.
    QinetiQ - working in the real world undertaking real research to solve real problems.
    (just to be clear I don't work for either of these)
    Of course you'll probably call yourself an engineer whilst working for the MOD when in fact the only thing you'll make in your first year is the coffee.

Now do yourself a favour and take a serious look at what jobs are available in industry because frankly the MOD CS is going to be cut and cut again over the next five years. Have a read of the Gray report!