Civil Service "Officer" Grades

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by quilldriver, Apr 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any idea on what basis they set up the "Equivalent Rank" for civil servants vs commisioned Officers ?

Its a joke. "D" grade = Captain. C2 = Major, C1 = Lt Col etc.

Is it supposed to offset their poor pay or what ? Its certainly no genuine reflection of their abilities.

Methinks its time for a re-grade - Do to that equivalence table what was done to the CR grading system when OJAR came in. No more "High Excellent" - just a solid B.

Maybe the CS could retain their "officer" status for the Mess, but no-way should they be considered as "out-ranking" war-fighting commissioned officers.

Thoughts ?

2. You missed these:

E1 Admin Officer = SSgt - WO1
    E2 Admin Asst = LCpl - Sgt

It has something to do with who your Line Manager is (I believe) and the level of the job they do. Don't forget most were military posts originally so they probably just swapped them over.

3. Well i'd look at it this way. Its not as if your gonna have to call them sir or do as they say... So why worry?

4. Thanks for the link - good reading. However, at a certain unit, who shall remain nameless, they were expecting some bigwig (Brigadier I think) and even the CO was running around with his head up his arrse making sure everything was just so. Everything was sparkling and just right for the important person's arrival. It turns out it was a civvy he was expecting and the CO didn't dare call him anything other than Sir for the whole of his visit!!

Guess it depends on who you are and what your job is - just like everything else

5. Thanks for that. Interestingly there appears to have been a bit of grade inflation since then - the Defence intranet site now shows C1 as a 1/2 Col, not a Maj as shown on one of the links from last year. ( Sorry I've not got the link ...)

And no, its not just a "mess accommodation" issue. My ex boss (1/2 Col ) will have his OJAR written by a B2 civil servant. There must be lots more examples in places like DLO ?

My point is - if it is a "mess" issue, why not just give Civil servants a general "SNCO" or "Officer" status. To produce a table showing rank equivalence obviously means a lot more ! - Sorry if this is covering old ground....

6. I know my wife has written part of soldier's CR's - she was their boss.

7. Found that link showing the grade inflation... http://www.dasa.mod.uk/natstats/ukds/2005/c2/table227.html

Shows C1 as a 1/2 Col ( OF4 in NATO speak) not a Major etc etc. I'm just glad that both my 1RO and 2RO are military !

8. Whats it coming to when civvy's are incharge of soldiers! Thats really fcuked up!

9. Welcome to the ADF , ****ing civies make all the impotent decisions :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

10. WOOO HOOOO i am an effing FLT LT, not that it really matters most ex industrials do not really give a to*s about this. I think you will find it is only the pencil dic*s in admin posts, usually with no previous service experience and not being able to use their degrees properly, who feel this is significant. I still get embarrassed when the Foreign Legion squaddy on the gate calls me sir.

11. My boss is an SO2 equivalent, little jumped up twaat. I treat him with utter contempt and there is nothing he can do about it.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I am struggling to understand how this subject fits into 'current affairs, news and analysis'. Looks more like a NAAFI Bar whingeing thread to me.

13. I agree with Viro. Stop moaning about it.

The equivalent grades thing is based on the 'level' of work done. Typically defined in terms of how much money you can spend. You can have civvy staff as line managers for military, but that dosen't mean they have any military authority over them.

Most know this. The few t0ssers soon get educated.

14. Let's back on up there a wee minute..... You are suggesting that all of the civil servants believe themselves to be of the 'rank' that their grade is 'suggested' equivalent to?

I've to meet any!

As far as I'm aware the rank structure was as a suggestion as to the mess you'd go to for a brew if you where on MoD property. Nothing more.

It's stupid and it maybe old fashioned, but it's nothing more than that.

Besides I'm a mother. I look like a mother. I act like a mother. I sound like a mother. So I out rank Jackson himself! He's a very naughty boy!

Beebs x