Civil Servant sues for PTSD

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dropshortjock, Aug 4, 2009.

1. PTSD - definately

2. Lack of Moral Courage-itis

3. Ker-CHINGGGG! I'll have a piece of the pie, too

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :x :x :x :x

MoD spin doctor 'suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after being forced to lie that Army vehicles were safe'

A press officer for the Ministry of Defence says he was traumatised after being forced to promote ‘Government lies’ that army vehicles were up to standard in Iraq and now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.
    John Salisbury-Baker says he was left haunted by the thought that his pronouncements on the safety of vehicles may have led to the deaths of soldiers, it was claimed.
    The 62-year-old who was based at the Imphal Barracks in York, will attend an employment tribunal later this year.
    Traumatised: MoD Press Officer John Salisbury-Baker was forced to 'defend the morally indefensible' says his partner, Christine Brooke

He is still currently employed by the MOD, on half pay.

His partner, Christine Brooke, said Mr Salisbury-Baker had to "defend the morally indefensible" when he told the media that Snatch Land Rovers were adequately equipped to withstand roadside bombs.
    She described Mr Salisbury-Baker, as an "honest, sensitive and moral person," and he had visited more than a dozen families devastated by the loss of loved ones in Iraq, often through such bombs. "He felt responsible," she said.

Miss Brooke said a doctor had diagnosed him as suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and he was pursuing a claim for disability discrimination.

More...Soldier cheats death FIVE times in one week of Afghanistan hell
    Ministers back down to give wounded soldiers a better compensation deal

She said: "John is an honest, sensitive and moral person, and he was having to peddle Government lies that soldiers in vehicles such as the Snatch Land Rovers were safe from roadside bombs made him very stressed indeed.

2. Hmmmm… 62 eh?

Early health grounds retirement on pension plus a big payout?

3. Gosh gravy train any one! :D
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Post traumatic implies there was a trauma.

What he has is a bad case of guilt.
  5. Well the normal retirement age for the Civil Service is 60
  6. nah! he's just joining his bosses at the trough :evil:
    ...doesn't look that stressed

7. And the whole armoured vehicle procurement debate may be well served by this mans claim.
    To be honest he has a fairly clear cut ethical argument, he was forced to lie by his employer and he feels those lies may have cost lives. It serves to highlight government skullduggery quite well really doesn't it?
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That sounds a bit like a N'burg defence......
    Not like he had to worry about his career prospects was it....
  10. I once met a politician and didn't punch him in his fat smug grid.

I feel 'guilty' and 'cheated' at this as I am a very kind, gentle and moral person.

Can I have some cash please??? 8)

On thread - what a c(r)ock!
  11. An excerpt from the link:

"His job was to visit families just hours after an officer had called to tell them the news that their loved ones were dead.

"His job role was to provide a 'media shield' to help them deal with media interest after their deaths had been made public and would often attend their funerals later.

Something just doesn't ring true about these two statements. My understanding is that a low-grade (or indeed any grade) PRO in this type of role has no personal contact with families, certainly in the immediate aftermath of an incident, and is most certainly not required to attend funerals.

I stand ready to be corrected.
  12. Without wishing to start a debate on PTSD or sound patronising, there is also a risk of developing PTSD from vicariously experiencing trauma - that is, according to the latest DSM & some research literature , an individual can develop PTSD by learning about a trauma suffered by somebody else - which is apparently one of the risks that clinicans who work in the field of PTSD face.

*Note: I am not a clinican & have no professional background in posttraumatic stress disorder.
  13. :D
    I shall put it a little less subtley :D
    If this goes to court (which I doubt very much) then it will establish in Court that the government was fully aware that it was lying about the suitability of the equipment it was supplying.
    Now we all know that they were lying but if it is established beyond doubt in a UK Court that they were then it puts a different complexion on it all doesn't it?
    I couldn't care less about this mans feelings, he should have spoken up at the time.
  14. Although I would like to add - PTSD is a problem with enough stigma surrounding it, as it is - which is one of the causes of preventing people from seeking help. So I'm not sure using possible answers such as "lack of moral courage-itis" are really appropriate for a PTSD thread, considering some of the members of this site.
  15. Pathetic. If he didn't like it he had the option to resign and do something else. Pretty "morally indefensible" to carrying on with the lying.

If he wants to know what PTSD is, maybe a trip to the Upper Sangin Valley would help.