Civil Servant seeking new career

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was a CS and I don't particularly think of my time there as self serving. I thought the pension was average given the below average salary on offer and although the job could be easy I still made an effort and tried to do what was asked of me to the best of my abilities. There's a lot of people in the CS trying to do good work for crap pay and they don't deserve to be denigrated.

That said, I wasn't impressed by my first day in the CS or by much of what I saw from senior management there. I once had to send an apology to an outsourcing partner for criticizing their prices, despite my immediate line management - including the person that wrote the apology for me - telling me the criticism was more than justified.

Rather than hang around in such a dysfunctional environment I decided to get employed elsewhere.
Right , you're defending an organisation that you couldn't even stand to work for?... and the 'good work for crap pay' remark applies to millions, who don't even 1/5 of protection or benefits that a dull, uninspiring, insipid, paper shuffling CS Nerds gets.

Ok, I think that shows the value of you comments .

Eh? I thought he was pointing out how dysfunctional it was and what made him leave, hardly a defence of the CS other than saying there were good eggs there.

If you want a giggle, try the Civil Service aptitude test you have to take to even get a chance at being shortlisted. It was created by asking a number of CS types what they'd do in the situation.

I took it, and was coming fro ma private background. The answers of getting the job done within the frame works, and support your colleagues, apparently weren't the right answers. Showed the test to my wife (runs a lab for the NHS), she answered pretty close to me as well. She failed as well.

I was a CS and I don't particularly think of my time there as self serving. I thought the pension was average given the below average salary on offer and although the job could be easy I still made an effort and tried to do what was asked of me to the best of my abilities. There's a lot of people in the CS trying to do good work for crap pay and they don't deserve to be denigrated.

That said, I wasn't impressed by my first day in the CS or by much of what I saw from senior management there. I once had to send an apology to an outsourcing partner for criticising their prices, despite my immediate line management - including the person that wrote the apology for me - telling me the criticism was more than justified.

Rather than hang around in such a dysfunctional environment I decided to get employed elsewhere.
I think most people are saving their disdain for those senior simple serpents at the very top.

If you want a giggle, try the Civil Service aptitude test you have to take to even get a chance at being shortlisted. It was created by asking a number of CS types what they'd do in the situation.

I took it, and was coming fro ma private background. The answers of getting the job done within the frame works, and support your colleagues, apparently weren't the right answers. Showed the test to my wife (runs a lab for the NHS), she answered pretty close to me as well. She failed as well.
Middle of last year I applied for a tax compliance role in HMRC at HEO level and despite scoring better than 94% of the people previously taking the numerical reasoning test for a role that requires good numeracy skills and scoring better than 78% of the people previously taking the verbal reasoning test, I only scored 38% in the civil service judgement test, which was in the middle band. Although I had met the minimum standard required for all three tests I wasn't progressed any further, other than to be placed on their holding pool.

I did another CSJT for a different role and did better on this occasion, getting 62%. This was enough to pass and I did, until some time later when they moved the goalposts and raised the pass mark to 70%. Miffed - not much.

My view of the CSJT is that they are little to do with common sense but are very much aimed at ticking the right PC boxes. Before undertaking them I think it is a good idea to source some online practise tests and get a few of those nailed down before applying, something I didn't do.

A lot of the CS applications require you to complete a number of competency behaviours using the STAR method. This takes a fair bit of practise but you can write a fair bit of bollox (using a limited word count) and as long as you hit the right key words and buzz phrases you'll do okay, however crap your spelling, punctuation and grammar is. However, you can be the most competent, qualified and experienced person for the job and write a completely relevant competency dit but if it doesn't hit the right key words it won't count for much.

Middle of last year I applied for a tax compliance role in HMRC at HEO level and despite scoring better than 94% of the people previously taking the numerical reasoning test for a role that requires good numeracy skills and scoring better than 78% of the people previously taking the verbal reasoning test, I only scored 38% in the civil service judgement test, which was in the middle band. Although I had met the minimum standard required for all three tests I wasn't progressed any further, other than to be placed on their holding pool.

I did another CSJT for a different role and did better on this occasion, getting 62%. This was enough to pass and I did, until some time later when they moved the goalposts and raised the pass mark to 70%. Miffed - not much.

My view of the CSJT is that they are little to do with common sense but are very much aimed at ticking the right PC boxes. Before undertaking them I think it is a good idea to source some online practise tests and get a few of those nailed down before applying, something I didn't do.

A lot of the CS applications require you to complete a number of competency behaviours using the STAR method. This takes a fair bit of practise but you can write a fair bit of bollox (using a limited word count) and as long as you hit the right key words and buzz phrases you'll do okay, however crap your spelling, punctuation and grammar is. However, you can be the most competent, qualified and experienced person for the job and write a completely relevant competency dit but if it doesn't hit the right key words it won't count for much.

The test is to weed out those with heretical or impure thoughts.
The key to progression in the CS is not job competence, but competence at being on message and following the One True Way. little promotion is by genuinely open and fair competition, its a pre ordained coronation of a chosen acolyte.

Last edited:

Latest Threads