Civil Servant seeking new career

It however does tend to confirm to me that Civil Servants are somewhat unaware of their status as deliverers of government policy.
I do hope that HMG will remind them of their place in the scheme of things when this lot is over because they seem to need reminding.
And that reminding needs to be backed up by some P45s handed out to the worst offenders, pour encourager les autres.

the HCS ‘Fast Track’ scheme is for recruiting ideologically sound HCS Guardianista reading shock truppen.
Or in plain language communist infiltration.

endure

GCM

GDog

Clanker
Like the way you think that we all still believe that the CS has some kind of reputation worth keeping ...bunch of self serving to55ers, terrified of losing their cushy job and pension , and being more than happy to shit over the proles, is the only Rep they've got .
I was a CS and I don't particularly think of my time there as self serving. I thought the pension was average given the below average salary on offer and although the job could be easy I still made an effort and tried to do what was asked of me to the best of my abilities. There's a lot of people in the CS trying to do good work for crap pay and they don't deserve to be denigrated.

That said, I wasn't impressed by my first day in the CS or by much of what I saw from senior management there. I once had to send an apology to an outsourcing partner for criticising their prices, despite my immediate line management - including the person that wrote the apology for me - telling me the criticism was more than justified.

Rather than hang around in such a dysfunctional environment I decided to get employed elsewhere.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think that shitting all over the civil service's reputation for impartiality
New policy huh?

When did this start?

GDog

Clanker
New policy huh?

When did this start?
Well it's part of the Civil Service Code and it should be quite important but I understand your point.

I think this incident marks something of a departure from previous though as you have an official public channel just flat-out insulting ministers.

GDog

Clanker
It however does tend to confirm to me that Civil Servants are somewhat unaware of their status as deliverers of government policy.
I do hope that HMG will remind them of their place in the scheme of things when this lot is over because they seem to need reminding.
Maybe it could be done after the EDI training

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Well it's part of the Civil Service Code and it should be quite important but I understand your point.

I think this incident marks something of a departure from previous though as you have an official public channel just flat-out insulting ministers.
Civil Service code is supposedly enshrined in law is it not?

Surely that means that the CS could be sued in the many cases where it ignores the code?

GDog

Clanker
Civil Service code is supposedly enshrined in law is it not?

Surely that means that the CS could be sued in the many cases where it ignores the code?
No it isnt. The closest analogy I can think of off the top of my head is the Highway Code - a set of rules and principles based on the various road traffic acts where many of the rules can be traced to a law, but not all of them - highlighted by use of words MUST vs SHOULD etc.

So when the code states you should not "be influenced by improper pressures from others or the prospect of personal gain" - to me that sounds like a potential prosecution under the Bribery Act.

Compared with: "serve the government, whatever its political persuasion, to the best of your ability in a way which maintains political impartiality and is in line with the requirements of this code, no matter what your own political beliefs are"

To be held to that would imply slavery - you are not forced by law to serve the government (unless you swore to do so when signing on to HMAF) and can thus tell them to **** off without being a criminal. Just don't expect to remain employed by the CS.

Significantly the CS itself as a corporate body can't be in breach of the code because the code is intended as a guide for individual behaviour.

When it comes to being sued, if there's an obvious breach of the CS code that may help or hinder a legal case but it won't be the deciding factor.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
No it isnt. The closest analogy I can think of off the top of my head is the Highway Code - a set of rules and principles based on the various road traffic acts where many of the rules can be traced to a law, but not all of them - highlighted by use of words MUST vs SHOULD etc.

So when the code states you should not "be influenced by improper pressures from others or the prospect of personal gain" - to me that sounds like a potential prosecution under the Bribery Act.

Compared with: "serve the government, whatever its political persuasion, to the best of your ability in a way which maintains political impartiality and is in line with the requirements of this code, no matter what your own political beliefs are"

To be held to that would imply slavery - you are not forced by law to serve the government (unless you swore to do so when signing on to HMAF) and can thus tell them to **** off without being a criminal. Just don't expect to remain employed by the CS.

Significantly the CS itself as a corporate body can't be in breach of the code because the code is intended as a guide for individual behaviour.

When it comes to being sued, if there's an obvious breach of the CS code that may help or hinder a legal case but it won't be the deciding factor.
Thank you for the explanation...

Sounds as though it has been designed to give the impression of judicial weight, without providing any actual protection under law.

So next question would be why is the CS not accountable under law? Squaddies are prosecuted with the express and implicit help of civil servants when merely serving to the best of their abilities... Isn't there an MoD cell which investigated the same bloke a dozen times?

The CS are accountable under law.

the much vaunted CS code is meaningless.
the sharp operators disperse and accept largesse that’s just on the side of ‘hmmmmm’ individually, but collectively adds up to ensure the group closes ranks to protect itself when threatened.
The old ‘you can’t just be a little bit pregnant,’ system.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
There are some nuances but, broadly speaking, yes as proved by Bettina Jordan-Barber being sent down.

"“extremely damaging to morale and to break down trust among those who serve together”,"

Seems a bit harsh, isn't that what the MoD is trained to do?

the much vaunted CS code is meaningless.
the sharp operators disperse and accept largesse that’s just on the side of ‘hmmmmm’ individually, but collectively adds up to ensure the group closes ranks to protect itself when threatened.
The old ‘you can’t just be a little bit pregnant,’ system.
Aren't you a CS?

Aren't you a CS?
yes, the organisation has without a doubt the most corrupt, mendacious, disloyal to its staff, largely incompetent management I’ve ever had the ‘privilege’ to work with.
the HCS? A rarified, highly politicised liberal elite dominated entity that has no connection with or loyalty to the staff it notionally commands.

Last edited:

Latest Threads