• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Civil Servant Cull

I've heard on the grape-vine that the impending Civil Servant cull will hurt the LE community...The loss of the Snivil Servants will place a huge burdon on the LE's (Wearing too many hats) within the HQ's, DE&S etc!

Has anyone heard anything on this?

Northern Monkey said:
Surely that's one of the quickest ways to lose votes?
There are far more people in the private sector supporting the public sector through their taxes than are working in the non-economically productive public sector.

msr

msr said:
Northern Monkey said:
There are far more people in the private sector supporting the public sector through their taxes than are working in the non-economically productive public sector.

msr
Are you supposed to make a profit from national security then?

Be careful what you wish for.

[MOD Irony mode on]

Yeah, lets get rid of those civvy contractors that clean up the camp. Squaddies can do all the block jobs and area cleaning. They love that. Lets get rid of the cooks. Some of you just need to get out of bed at 0530 to cook everyone breakfast. Stop you moaning about Sodexo. Lets get rid of of the MOD guards and MPGS. Squaddies love stagging on, looking all warry at the front gate, 4 on 4 off day in day out, especially if its wet, cold and a weekend. And after you've done all that, lets see if you can find the time to do some pre-deployment training, and Herrick tours. You don't need any leave or any time with the family. The army is your family, innit?

[MOD Irony mode off]

I am told that it was this kind of life that caused many soldiers to sign off in the 80s-90s. If you bin the snivelling serpents, someone will still have to do the work. Mmmm...Who might that be?

msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr
Quite so. However, my original statement still stands. God knows the political parties were until recently extremely reticent about discussing public sector fundings cuts, let alone mooting staff cuts.

Northern Monkey said:
msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr
Quite so. However, my original statement still stands. God knows the political parties were until recently extremely reticent about discussing public sector fundings cuts, let alone mooting staff cuts.
Well the Conservatives have been speaking to some Canadians who were involved in their 20% slash of the public sector over there in the 90s.

msr

msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr
err...Isn't that the way it should be?

ISTRC that the USSR post war under Stalin had more people employed in the repression of it citizens with secret police, border guards, gulag guards etc that all of the workers employed in oil, coal and steel production combined. Now that's utterly unsustainable...

msr said:
Northern Monkey said:
msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr
Well the Conservatives have been speaking to some Canadians who were involved in their 20% slash of the public sector over there in the 90s.

msr
Maybe so, but I doubt we will be seeing the Tories making political capitol out of public sector job cuts. I believe the closest reference to any planned cuts will be in terms of "making the public sector more efficient". "cost-effective" etc not planned redundancies and so forth.

Northern Monkey said:
msr said:
Northern Monkey said:
msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr

msr
Maybe so, but I doubt we will be seeing the Tories making political capitol out of public sector job cuts. I believe the closest reference to any planned cuts will be in terms of "making the public sector more efficient". "cost-effective" etc not planned redundancies and so forth.
They might not make political publicity out of it... but the only way to restore this country's finances is a wholesale slaughter of the public sector.

Civil Service cull is coming - held up whilst the new regs to limit payouts (from upwards of 3 yrs pay to as little as 6mths) were made watertight.

The issue is not with having civil servants or contracted support staff, but actually the right kind of people to make defence work. I've had the privilege of working with some outstanding Civil Servants who display the kind of selfless committment that some of my uniformed colleagues needed to learn from.

Civil Service rules and regulations are archaic, and aimed at protecting Civil Service employees to the detriment of progress. What is needed in the MOD is a fully integrated civilian component that is outwith main stream Civil Service - it also needs to pay competitive wages and engender the right culture of service and professionalism that you currently don't always have. Add to that the right training and development opportunities, and we can actually grow a significant civilian component that could add immense value to the MOD.

There should always be the opportunity for OGD's CS to work for the MOD on secondment, but it should be us drawing on the best of talent, but also exporting our best to OGDs as well!

Imagine if we actually had some real commercial wizards, who could actually write proper contracts? Estates people who could actually run and manage estates? They'd be running rings around their military counterparts - so maybe it actually benefits us to keep the CS dumb?

They could save a fair amount of money by reviewing some of the more stupid decisions being made by some of the Civil Servants as well. Brake testing of trailers and seating in 4 tonners being two very expensive and needless policies put out recently.

DarkNinja said:
msr said:
Northern Monkey said:

msr
Are you supposed to make a profit from national security then?
No you aren't,but that begs the question,what are all these bonuses that are being discussed at the moment,for??????????????? :roll:

Latest Threads