Civil Partnerships

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Howay_the_Lads, Mar 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just read this months 'Soldier' magazine, I was struck by the shameful doube standards. A gay lesbian couple who have been together for a few years, enjoy all the trappings associated with service life for 'married couples' because they entered a Civil Partnership. Yet on the other pages, there was an example of a couple who have one child and one on the way, who are entitled to ..... well nothing really. There's the usuall party line answer, but essentially the MOD only moves to change the rules when it has to.

To cut to the chase, can two males / females enter a 'civil partnership' without being homosexual i.e without consumating their relationship. The civil partnership exists for same sex relationships, so if two muckers jumped the broomstick, could they they apply for a quarter (or hiring if one were not available), split the bills and have a nice home to entertain their girlfriends at weekends, subsidised at public expense?

2. Okay - who's going to try it first?

3. I think that you will find that a 'civil partnership' is seen by the law as a legal bond. Both parties share everything . . . if they split then the everything gets split 50 / 50.

So if two blokes / lasses enter into a partnertship, they are by law agreeing to share everything they own. Just like being married really, but without the word married.

Personally I do not condone it, being a true hetrosexual male. Though I do sometimes wonder if I am lesbian trapped in a male body . . . then don't we all.

4. Where is the authority for the proposition that married couples share everything they own 50/50!

On divorce, yes, there is a school of thought that says that the starting point should be 50/50, but that is far from the law! Where a child is concerned then there definitely isn't such a rule in place since the welfare of the child is paramount.

Re the original topic, there is no double standards because hetrosexual couples can get married!

5. One of those clever pre-nups should sort that out. If I wasn't married I'd give it a go. HtL, you up for it??

6. Pre nups are not generally recognised in the UK, unlike in some states in the US (if hollywood is to be believed, that is). At least that was what i read a couple of years ago.

7. Is your argument based on that sole issue. You should only get married to get a quarter? have you ever wondered if there's a correlation between rushing into marriage and the high divorce rate in the Army?

All I'm saying is that until 5 years ago, it was not compatible with service life to be homosexual, now the MOD has leapt through hoops to give equal rights to homosexual couples - incidentally I don't have a problem with this.

Apparently the MOD proudly states that it is an equal opportunity employer - only when it is obliged to by LAW.

8. I am not getting up at the crack of sparrows fart to cook you fried soda bread and all the trimmings before work ye wee fekker.

9. HtL - you can be the man.......

10. Legs,

Surely the point is that they are both 'The Man' ?

11. Giver/receiver = man/not quite man!

12. Legs if you knew me, you would know that I'm the man.

13. So, he makes brekkie for you!

14. I fell into that one didn't I?