Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Civil Defence food stocks being used for military meals

Yes

There were emergency food stocks in West Berlin. These were routinely turned over by the RAOC and ACC, within shelf life. I'm sure there were other examples.

@Joker62 will know more I'm sure.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
I was under the impression that, that was in case the Russians tried to impose a blockage again like the one which led to the Berlin airlift in 1948/49

Was more thinking about those from UK itself, and when they were finally used up
ISTR many years ago being told by somebody that every so often they’d be a glut of dried food stuffs on the open market such as dried peas etc as the stocks were rotated. (Sold off when they cane to the end of their life and replenished)

istr reading on here a few years back that bulk quantities of Canadian wheat were kept in storage and then released as part of an emergency food stockpile. I think they meantime do something about the aged wheat was better at making bread but the EU didn’t like the U.K. storing Canadian wheat as it impacted on the CAP.

somebody once told me that cat and dog food is of a standard in the U.K. so it can be eaten by people in emergency’s

When I did a battle field study in Berlin, I was told the food was turned over when it was close to the end of it shelf life, so they could get the new stuff in. Also that pads could buy it cheaply.
True - it stopped in 1991 and the quality and quantity of the pads barbecues dipped dramatically!

ISTR many years ago being told by somebody that every so often they’d be a glut of dried food stuffs on the open market such as dried peas etc as the stocks were rotated. (Sold off when they cane to the end of their life and replenished)

istr reading on here a few years back that bulk quantities of Canadian wheat were kept in storage and then released as part of an emergency food stockpile. I think they meantime do something about the aged wheat was better at making bread but the EU didn’t like the U.K. storing Canadian wheat as it impacted on the CAP.

somebody once told me that cat and dog food is of a standard in the U.K. so it can be eaten by people in emergency’s
The Canadian wheat thing I read here too last year about RAOC bread, because we had the facilities to store this particular type of flour it actually improved, Now commercial flours are chemically "improved". Manitoba flour springs to mind.

The cat/dog food thing is actually odd. Fast Food Nation said that cats and dogs were formally ingredients of pet food but there was uproar when it became known. It then was basically meat not fit for human consumption classification used , but have heard recently it was law change that meant they had to use meats/by-products fit for human consumption. The human emergency need may be a bit far-fetched but it is cheaper than other emergency options