Civil Defence food stocks being used for military meals

Just outside it, other side of the German school next to the Aral garage. By the big church

Was more thinking about those from UK itself, and when they were finally used up
ISTR many years ago being told by somebody that every so often they’d be a glut of dried food stuffs on the open market such as dried peas etc as the stocks were rotated. (Sold off when they cane to the end of their life and replenished)

istr reading on here a few years back that bulk quantities of Canadian wheat were kept in storage and then released as part of an emergency food stockpile. I think they meantime do something about the aged wheat was better at making bread but the EU didn’t like the U.K. storing Canadian wheat as it impacted on the CAP.

somebody once told me that cat and dog food is of a standard in the U.K. so it can be eaten by people in emergency’s

Yes

There were emergency food stocks in West Berlin. These were routinely turned over by the RAOC and ACC, within shelf life. I'm sure there were other examples.

@Joker62 will know more I'm sure.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
Mmmmm - FRIS!

There used to be great big national grain store silos in Driffield on the old camp, dunno if they're still there or not

When I did a battle field study in Berlin, I was told the food was turned over when it was close to the end of it shelf life, so they could get the new stuff in. Also that pads could buy it cheaply.
True - it stopped in 1991 and the quality and quantity of the pads barbecues dipped dramatically!

TheAssassin

War Hero
ISTR many years ago being told by somebody that every so often they’d be a glut of dried food stuffs on the open market such as dried peas etc as the stocks were rotated. (Sold off when they cane to the end of their life and replenished)

istr reading on here a few years back that bulk quantities of Canadian wheat were kept in storage and then released as part of an emergency food stockpile. I think they meantime do something about the aged wheat was better at making bread but the EU didn’t like the U.K. storing Canadian wheat as it impacted on the CAP.

somebody once told me that cat and dog food is of a standard in the U.K. so it can be eaten by people in emergency’s
The Canadian wheat thing I read here too last year about RAOC bread, because we had the facilities to store this particular type of flour it actually improved, Now commercial flours are chemically "improved". Manitoba flour springs to mind.

The cat/dog food thing is actually odd. Fast Food Nation said that cats and dogs were formally ingredients of pet food but there was uproar when it became known. It then was basically meat not fit for human consumption classification used , but have heard recently it was law change that meant they had to use meats/by-products fit for human consumption. The human emergency need may be a bit far-fetched but it is cheaper than other emergency options

Chef

LE
The Canadian wheat thing I read here too last year about RAOC bread, because we had the facilities to store this particular type of flour it actually improved, Now commercial flours are chemically "improved". Manitoba flour springs to mind.

The cat/dog food thing is actually odd. Fast Food Nation said that cats and dogs were formally ingredients of pet food but there was uproar when it became known. It then was basically meat not fit for human consumption classification used , but have heard recently it was law change that meant they had to use meats/by-products fit for human consumption. The human emergency need may be a bit far-fetched but it is cheaper than other emergency options
Pet food is ok for human consumption but it's a bit bland. Chilli sauce improves it no end.

I thought you were down in White City, I was on Danziger
White City was just down the road from Danziger Str.

White City was near to the old MG Football Ground.

Danziger Str was nearer to the very good Snelly, Herr Kamp Barber's, cake shop, petrol station and a interesting pub with a red light, also a short walk to the Old Market Square and the street of steps with pubs etc.

I had a enjoyable 2 postings living in MQ on Danziger Str in 1981/82 (after 4 years in the block) and 1983 onwards prior to moving in to the WO & SGT Mess at Fife Brk.

Pet food is ok for human consumption but it's a bit bland. Chilli sauce improves it no end.
Dog biscuits are edible too, bit chewy, no flavour.

Back to the OP's question: There used to be what amounted to aircraft hangers full of mountains grain as emergency reserves for the nation. It was kept dry and was turned regularly to keep it dry.

I am pretty sure it was all sold off, or binned, back in the late 80's or early 90's as one of those cost saving measures.................a bit like they sold off the gold.

Blogg

LE
Back in the steam age when I were lad, we spotty, 'orrible yoof went on a cadet camp to somewhere very wet cold, dismal and utterly devoid of anything interesting whatsoever. So pretty much the usual experience

By some unknown process, a vast quantity of very dubious looking tins appeared one evening with clear instruction:to eat it or starve.

Never been able to look at a tinned Haggis since without a slight wave of nausea.

White City was just down the road from Danziger Str.

White City was near to the old MG Football Ground.

Danziger Str was nearer to the very good Snelly, Herr Kamp Barber's, cake shop, petrol station and a interesting pub with a red light, also a short walk to the Old Market Square and the street of steps with pubs etc.

I had a enjoyable 2 postings living in MQ on Danziger Str in 1981/82 (after 4 years in the block) and 1983 onwards prior to moving in to the WO & SGT Mess at Fife Brk.
I drove along Danziger 18 months ago, it is all German civvy's now.

As a padbrat In the late 60's I lived on Elbinger Str just off Danziger, in the summer of '83 I had just arrived in Viersen.

TheAssassin

War Hero

Back to the OP's question: There used to be what amounted to aircraft hangers full of mountains grain as emergency reserves for the nation. It was kept dry and was turned regularly to keep it dry.

I am pretty sure it was all sold off, or binned, back in the late 80's or early 90's as one of those cost saving measures.................a bit like they sold off the gold.
handful of years ago, I used to drive (Cheshire/Shropshire area) past a sign (white with red border) stating direction of Grain Storage.There may be reasons why government still has the facilities even now.

ETA

Its on Whitchurch Road and still there
Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 20.06.50.png

Last edited:
handful of years ago, I used to drive (Cheshire/Shropshire area) past a sign (white with red border) stating direction of Grain Storage.There may be reasons why government still has the facilities even now.
We had a huge one near us, the in laws neighbour was a workshop manager in the same "compound" until he retired - he had nothing to do with the grain, he just managed a vehicle workshop for another govt agency on the same site. He told me that they had got rid of the lot out of the building on his site and that the lot was being gotten rid of nationally................must have been 15'ish years ago now.

As a very young kid, our dog a very big Lab/alsatian cross had an agreement! I'd share his dog biscuits and he'd crack my walnuts for me, which we shared.

Latest Threads