Civil Defence food stocks being used for military meals

TheAssassin

War Hero
A comment on an article about (US) Government food supplies during nuclear attack, stated that surplus canned meat was finally exhausted during Afghanistan war because US cooks were using it as part of their meal routines.

It got me thinking, did British forces (barracked or otherwise) get served with the Civil Defence food surplus/supplies?

A comment on an article about (US) Government food supplies during nuclear attack, stated that surplus canned meat was finally exhausted during Afghanistan war because US cooks were using it as part of their meal routines.

It got me thinking, did British forces (barracked or otherwise) get served with the Civil Defence food surplus/supplies?
Yes

There were emergency food stocks in West Berlin. These were routinely turned over by the RAOC and ACC, within shelf life. I'm sure there were other examples.

@Joker62 will know more I'm sure.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

TheAssassin

War Hero
Yes

There were emergency food stocks in West Berlin. These were routinely turned over by the RAOC and ACC, within shelf life. I'm sure there were other examples.

Was more thinking about those from UK itself, and when they were finally used up

Yes

As were the stocks from the alternative seat of government in Wiltshire.
I believe it occured in all regional seats of government too

Well. I was born in the early 70s. One of the first exercises I did, on Sennybridge in the winter, the Rat pack (tinned compo) was the same age that I was.

Yes

When I did a battle field study in Berlin, I was told the food was turned over when it was close to the end of it shelf life, so they could get the new stuff in. Also that pads could buy it cheaply.

TheAssassin

War Hero
Well. I was born in the early 70s. One of the first exercises I did, on Sennybridge in the winter, the Rat pack (tinned compo) was the same age that I was.
When I did a battle field study in Berlin, I was told the food was turned over when it was close to the end of it shelf life, so they could get the new stuff in. Also that pads could buy it cheaply.
Am specifically talking about the stocks that existed in early 90s when they stopped producing them. When would our military have used the last of those stocks?

Yokel

LE
The food stocks kept by HM Goverment for Civil/Home Defence during the Cold War was limited to things like sugar and fat. Once tinned meat was part of it but it was discontinued after being connected to a disease outbreak.

Somewhere on the web there must be a list of what MAFF stockpiled.

Yokel

LE
The following foods were held in the 1980s:
  • Flour - This was a special high protein, low moisture content flour which was turned over every 4-5 years.
  • Yeast - Packed in tins with an expected life of 10 years.
  • Sugar - Held in 56 lb sacks and turned over if it started to deteriorate.
  • Fat - Known as ‘Ministry Marge’ with an expected shelf life of 20 years.
  • Biscuits - Sweet biscuits in large tins apparently baked in the 1960s.
Some glucose sweets were apparently produced, but found to be too expensive. There have been suggestions that some baby foods and convenience foods were also held, but given the general scarcity of the known stocks this seems unlikely. During the 1960s tinned meat and cake mix was held, but at its peak during the last war, the strategic stockpiles were enormous; with large amounts of frozen and tinned meat and other products including tea and ‘Ministry Soup’.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
In the Fed Army there was one day per week where "Tinned Equivalent" was served instead of fresh rations -- somehow these fine delicacies seemed to miss WO's & Sgts Mess just about every week!

Am specifically talking about the stocks that existed in early 90s when they stopped producing them. When would our military have used the last of those stocks?
The thing in Berlin probably stop when the wall fell.

I had a summer job in Viersen that had warehouses full of rations from god know when.

I joined the Army in 1995 and it quite possible our rations were literally antiques, Im sure I can remember 2 cigarettes in some of them.

The thing in Berlin probably stop when the wall fell.

I had a summer job in Viersen that had warehouses full of rations from god know when.

I joined the Army in 1995 and it quite possible our rations were literally antiques, Im sure I can remember 2 cigarettes in some of them.
I worked in the Ration Shed before I joined, I lived on tinned chocolate and sweets for the whole summer

I worked in the Ration Shed before I joined, I lived on tinned chocolate and sweets for the whole summer
Viersen? When was that?

Yes

I was under the impression that, that was in case the Russians tried to impose a blockage again like the one which led to the Berlin airlift in 1948/49

Latest Threads