Civies on Ops...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BaldricksBullet, Mar 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A little Int required...

My wife works for the Danish MOD as a bookkeeper and they've just pointed out that her contract says she's bound to do whatever they tell her to.... tough. So their plan is to send her to Afgahnistan for a few months. NIGHTMARE! Sod the danger... our poor daughter will have her nappies on backwards and have to eat spagetti and ketchup for the best part of a season! And I'll be housebound and won't be able to my job as the DMoD also think it's fun to send me places at 24 minutes notice (you may have noticed that the engraving shop shuts suddenly now and again).

We probably wouldn't be so taken aback by this if it were the other way around. I've been a soldier and mil related all my life. But she thought she was a secretary on a secretaries wage whose raison d'etre was to smile and be nice to anxious men in green.

So here's the question . Do the UK/US/CAN forces send civies out? Do they train them? (you'll love this - she won't be base bound and gets a one week course and a pistol!) Do they get extra cash? How much?

Just interested. If their demands are unfair, we'd like to tell them and base it on comparative reason... and pehaps negotiate a better deal for her and the other lambs who have suddenly been put in this position.

Heartfelt cheers for any help or comments you can give us on this one.
  2. Bloody hell mate, thats a bit rough on your daughter.
  3. Canadian civilians do deploy, but it is by choice. We have the diplomats and politicians from Department of Foreign Affaires and International Trade, but that is pretty normal. There are also civilian DND (MoD) employees who go over to run canteens/CANEX (NAAFI) reps/sports instructors/hairdressers/etc. Dont recall any of them being armed though, but they do get some predeployement training.
    Here's a link to the Personnel Support Programme employees contract when they go over to Afghanistan
    These are the canteen/sports/hairdresser types. These people are strictly speaking not public servents, but non-public fund employees, but never mind the difference. I believe a public servent deploying would receive Foreign Service Premium, Hazard Allownance, Hardship Allowance, etc just as a soldier working in the same spot.
  4. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: You have no bloody idea mate. Tell me... how much can anappy hold before it has to be changed?

Cheers Canuck... good skills... anyone got any idea how much the allowances are. I mean there's got to be a good reason for volunteering to sit in a cave.
  5. Hardship is $680 per month, risk is $544 per month, foreign service premium is $648 per month, going up in increments the longer you're over. There is a hardship bonus which you start to recieve on your second consecutive tour where you draw hardship.

Oh, and the allowances are tax free.

Edit- Thats the risk and hardship for Afghan...there are different levels depending on the mission location.
  6. At the risk of appearing trite, if the UK MOD civilian staff were deployable wouldn't it nearly double the size of our armed forces?
    A nice idea for recruitment....
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

My apologies, I saw the title and I thought it was the RAF web site.
  8. Yeah... and what? Halve the effectiveness?? :) and treble the weight?

Thanks Canuck... that I can use

Come on Brits... let's play spot the civie... are there any out there at all??
  9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

10. Is that Scots Reg desert cam??? I think you found a piper... not a civie
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You don't know how close you are. Have you been to Fally recently.
  12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

13. Old Snowy, genuine question, if you go as an MoD civvy and you haven't been before do you qualify for a Telic medal? Not that I'm an MoD civvy or anything, just wondering.
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes. In fact I now have 2 TELIC medals! Whether I'll ever be able to wear them is an entirely different matter!
  15. Cheers, you'd have thought they'd sussed you've got one and saved themselves a few quid!