Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civi Flying Logbooks: A trip down memory lane

View attachment 503556

I've flown teacups inverted under the Tamar bridge on X-Plane 11 since them days. You can only dream about that sort of shit in your 'Communicating from an airborne settee' role :)

Gen question...Have you still got your first ever logbook?

I only have this one and there are many pages yet that could be filled.

787 under Golden Gate, albeit the right way up.

BEB913D0-D51F-4577-B24E-B3CECEE288A6.jpeg

Ummmm, some hours in a plane, sat in the left seat at Biggin Hill. Stonking, just never got around to finishing off, must do that one day.

I have many, many, hours of flight time in various small planes with the purpose of lobbing out of them. My most memorable was an AN-2 at Pribram in CZ where I was lobbing and I also signed up for the CZ static wing at a measly 120 euros. The plane was positively agricultural, drip bucket hanging under the engine and the pilot poured the oil back in before every flight. It is the little plane we, in BAOR, were told that fahsunds of Spetznaz would arrive by skipping under the radar.

One of these:

Jumped one of them in Poland - it took something like 15 minutes to get to a paltry 3,000' so it was a one-off.

14 is hrs to solo not too shabby. ( I used to get most of my students away on a motor glider with very tight flap limiting speeds in about 10 hrs)
And Nobody took longer than 30 hrs to get their full ticket.
fun days.!.

6:10

Zhopa

War Hero
The plane was positively agricultural, drip bucket hanging under the engine and the pilot poured the oil back in before every flight.

You've motivated me to dig out some old photos and see if the old bloke that prepped the Ka-26 we were about to take out of a small field near Tashkent by pouring fuel in from a rusty bucket really did have a lit fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth as well, or if time and the passage of 30+ years have added that detail from some other occasion.

That’s the amount of time he spent in the right hand seat before start up shouting “Neeeeeooooow! Kaboom, Dugga, Dugga, Dugga” with the instructor staring at him in disbelief. Aaa the delights of hearing your own voice through the headset for the first time.

My sim time is very limited. I tried the Merlin and couldn't even get it off the deck. My finest hour was stuffing a VC-10 into Kai Tak. Proper sim too - 241 OCUs gantry camera and diorama monster. Non of this digital malarkey.

You've motivated me to dig out some old photos and see if the old bloke that prepped the Ka-26 we were about to take out of a small field near Tashkent by pouring fuel in from a rusty bucket really did have a lit fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth as well, or if time and the passage of 30+ years have added that detail from some other occasion.

Refuelling a DC3 from drums using plastic buckets (yeah, I know it's a fire risk) because avgas is so dry the hand pump siezed.

Method was to have the drum on its side on the back of a truck with the opening at the top, then roll it while holding a bucket under it until the opening hit the fuel level and it began to run out. A bucket chain then passed the fuel filled plastic bucket up a ladder onto the wing where it was poured into the tank. Everything pretty much soaked in fuel with the added risk of sparks from the plastic buckets. Had to do that a couple of times a day, 6 or 7 drums a time, for a week until our new pump arrived and we could fly into Lubumbashi.

There are nights I still wake up screaming...

What’s the 7.25 carried over at the top of the dual column for then ?

Air Cadet AEF and a motorised glider course Including a solo circuit hence the 0.10 carried forward. TBH I’d missed that.

Pakistan Airways could do with you to check for fraudulent log book entries. ;)

I did my first solo in a Venture at RAF Henlow in the late 80s. Chipmunk jollies at Cambridge. I should have logged that.

Aaa the delights of hearing your own voice through the headset for the first time.

Only outshone by the moment you first sit in the Left Hand Seat, look left for command input, and see your own reflection!

My first day in Command. Lots of congrats in the crew room on report, one from a very Old and Bold Training Captain. I asked if he had any advice; “you’ll get used to it, you wouldn’t be there if we didn’t think you’re up to it but this first 6 months you’ll feel like you’ve got a target painted on your back!”

Hmmm.

Flew outbound to Malaga. In the right hand seat was a career First Officer, the guy was to competent aviation what Myra Hindley was to competent babysitting. The weather was shit, thunderstorms all over the place and a departure ex Malaga that turns you out over steeply rising high ground.

Lined up for departure, pouring rain, howling winds and a weather radar that was tartan. Numb nuts to my right. Checked the fuel to make sure it was above Minimum Take Off and whoosh, off we go.

400’, Master Caution FUEL IMBALANCE. (Faaaaaaaaarrrrrt). Fuel gauges showing 3 tonnes less in one tank than on start of take off roll. Concorde spearing in in Paris was still a recent memory, turning towards high ground, shit weather, habit caused me to turn to my left to seek command input.

And there was nobody there, just my reflection. (Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt).

Got it pointed in a safe direction, got the autopilot in as soon as we had Minimum Engagement Height for it and asked matey to action the checklist.

His response? “It’ll be alright, just a gauge fault”.

I would have been better off just with my voice to listen to.

I did my first solo in a Venture at RAF Henlow in the late 80s. Chipmunk jollies at Cambridge. I should have logged that.

Venture, Halton, 1981, Chipmunk jollies Abingdon. It all counts in the struggle for hours to qualify!

I did a few jollies with 5 AEF too - one of which was in the unique Husky.

20200911_140445.jpg

Air Cadet AEF and a motorised glider course Including a solo circuit hence the 0.10 carried forward. TBH I’d missed that.

Pakistan Airways could do with you to check for fraudulent log book entries. ;)
You would be truly shocked at some of the Iffy log books I’ve come across in a professional capacity. Particularly after a fatal it can all get a bit fraught, ( fraud, life insurance and widows are a bad mix).

Refuelling a DC3 from drums using plastic buckets (yeah, I know it's a fire risk) because avgas is so dry the hand pump siezed.

Method was to have the drum on its side on the back of a truck with the opening at the top, then roll it while holding a bucket under it until the opening hit the fuel level and it began to run out. A bucket chain then passed the fuel filled plastic bucket up a ladder onto the wing where it was poured into the tank. Everything pretty much soaked in fuel with the added risk of sparks from the plastic buckets. Had to do that a couple of times a day, 6 or 7 drums a time, for a week until our new pump arrived and we could fly into Lubumbashi.

There are nights I still wake up screaming...
Plastic drums ( shudder), I saw a man rig his brand spanking new Pegasus Q
on a bone dry grass field. He then went to his BMW‘s nylon carpeted boot and took out a half full 25 litre plastic drum of petrol, and an orange plastic funnel.
Put the funnel in the blown plastic fuel tank, and applied the neck of the fuel drum..............
The static charge discharging ignited the vapour in the half full drum, which he promptly dropped onto the dry grass beneath his new pride and joy.
About a minute and a half later you could have got all £11 k’s worth ( uninsured I think) In a wheelbarrow.
it cured me of plastic fuel conveyances.

Quite. You wouldn't believe the number of folks who use plastic jerrycans and plastic funnels to transport fuel. Warning them elicits a blank look, despite a couple of incidents that prove it's a mong idea.

You would be truly shocked at some of the Iffy log books I’ve come across in a professional capacity. Particularly after a fatal it can all get a bit fraught, ( fraud, life insurance and widows are a bad mix).

Nope.

In 10 years instructing I’ve twice formally made representation that individuals should not be issued with licences regardless of passing all exams / tests. It’s easy to surpress ******** tendencies for the duration of a test.

Both went on to kill themselves being ********* which isn’t too bad from a Darwinisn perspective.

Tragically one killed two innocents, the other, three.

I also chopped a well connected Arab on a Friday only for him to reappear on the flying roster on the Monday following an exchange of phone calls to Daddy and a big cheque. “Fly him or quit” was the edict from the CFI.

I quit, made a few phone calls of my own to a Crawly phone number and received an invitation to return on the Tuesday under considerably improved terms. But never got rostered to fly with Arabs again, only Maylasians. They were marginally* better.

*As in a fag paper.

Latest Threads