Civi EOD

Hey,

Does anyone know of any civi EOD courses that are run? Im interested in going into that line of work as a civi job, usually most guys working for EOD contractors are ex mil but wondered if there were any courses outside of the army that will offer a similar qualification?

PM me if i make no sense whatsoever! :)
Ta

sappagirl said:
Hey,

Does anyone know of any civi EOD courses that are run? Im interested in going into that line of work as a civi job, usually most guys working for EOD contractors are ex mil but wondered if there were any courses outside of the army that will offer a similar qualification?

Ta
Got to be a wah :D

Nope, not a wah im afraid!

why's that a wah?? my mate done a course where you work alongside dogs to find the mines and such and offers lucrative work in bosnia and that. i'll pm him and find out the company name and some dets for ya!

cheggarsRE said:
my mate done a course where you work alongside dogs
RAMC :? :? :? :?

We have a bloke who works along side us who has never been Mil, did a civie course in EOD, ex squadie mate of mine also did the civie course.
There is one out there mate but i could'nt tell you who or where its run.
Not much help really.

sappagirl said:
Hey,

Ta
If you're serious, I can recommend the International School for Search and Explosives Engineers 12 miles west of Salisbury (link).

Thanks Dunservin- really helpful that link.

cheggarsRE said:
no no it was a civi company. he was in the corps. canadian bloke who'd done it in bosnia and that. he loved a good old ied!!
Who, ME??? I thought it was you keefers but wasn't sure!

The course I did many moons ago was run by the BH MAC in Bosnia, and therefore the chance of getting on one now are slim to none, especially if you are not a local. It was the Basic humanitarian deminer anyways, not EOD per se.

There are far better informed bods on this website with regards to EOD matters, I'll defer to their knowledge.

cdn_spr said:
cheggarsRE said:
no no it was a civi company. he was in the corps. canadian bloke who'd done it in bosnia and that. he loved a good old ied!!

The course I did many moons ago was run by the BH MAC in Bosnia, and therefore the chance of getting on one now are slim to none, especially if you are not a local. It was the Basic humanitarian deminer anyways, not EOD per se.

There are far better informed bods on this website with regards to EOD matters, I'll defer to their knowledge.
No hope in hell about getting a course in Bosnia and you wouldn't work for the money they pay locals anyway!

ISSEE is to be thoroughly recommended as a basic grounding. I recently took some Bosnia military through and the course was excellent.

However unless you are very well qualified the big bucks aren't there.

rickshaw-major said:
cdn_spr said:
cheggarsRE said:

No hope in hell about getting a course in Bosnia and you wouldn't work for the money they pay locals anyway!

ISSEE is to be thoroughly recommended as a basic grounding. I recently took some Bosnia military through and the course was excellent.

Giz a job then R_M.

dingerr said:
rickshaw-major said:
cdn_spr said:
cheggarsRE said:

Giz a job then R_M.
When are you leaving Dingerr?

Edited once for mong spelling :oops:

Few years yet. (unless i win the lottery).

I understand The HALO Trust run courses, normally for ex young officers who are still out for a bit of adventure, they pay crap, and the leave is worse from what I hear, but they'll teach you the basics of what you need to know for the humanitarian side of things.

Sappagirl:

Civvy but gov't. Here in States (US that is) a lot of training for civilian agencies is done under contract to Dept of Homeland Security by a university called New Mexico Tech. A number of colleagues in police, fire service and similar have attended classes there and spoken very highly of the classes, training etc. Also said quarters and food were pretty good.

They have a variety of classes but you have to be sponsored by your agency. For US students classes, transport, housing are free but I think you may have to pay for food.

I am not sure about overseas students. I do know that there is a program there run by US Dept of State (i.e. Foreign Ministry) which runs 35 days. They take in about 7 classes of 24-25 a year. The program is designed for Law Enforcement Officers and I understand priority is given to LEO's from communities where there are a lot of US citizens. If you are serving near a USAF base or a place with a lot of US tourists it could be a plus for selection. If you contact them and are TA make sure you explain that TA is like US National Guard as they might not be familiar. Even if you are really looking for training for civvy work you need to tie it to you TA duties in support of the civil authorities, Local LEO's etc. If your unit works with local PD a letter from the local head LEO might help.

As I said, the EOD types I know who went there loved it. Only possible drawback is if you don't react well to altitude. Main campus is at 4600 feet but the place you go to blow things up,, etc is in mountains and higher. I heard of one guy who quit due to altitude problems.

My son lives in Sante Fe, NM at a university. Santa Fe is higher (7000 ft) and gets snow as early as September. Very beautiful in Sangre de Christo mountains and good skiing (Taos, Angelfire) if you should get time off.

Website is at clicky

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you

PS The guys I know who went there came back with t shirts printed on the back with "I am an EOD Tech, If I am running, follow and try to keep up"

David BOC,

Very good point with the U.S. Course, I thought it was at Texas A&M and also in Alabama now run by one of the EOD Companies based down there?

I ran a mixed 'Mobile EOD Team' on the Coalition Munitions Clearance Programme in Iraq in 2006, there were a few of us Brits able to join the Programme, mostly due to a Range Clearance contract the majority of us were on in Tennessee the year before, where we had our Quals cleared through the Corps of Engineers to fall in line with U.S. EOD Techs as well as carrying out the mandatory Hazwoper course, they cleared 2 of us to Tech III Level (Team Leader) after a few weeks as it was a first for them. One of the Brits in one of our Teams was a lad who had just left the Royal Marines, he had completed the Course at Texas A&M, enabling him to work as a Tech I.

The American system works on a system where the 'UXO' Operator can progress with consistent work and years in the trade, generally everyone coming out of the Military is classed as a minimum Tech II as they were all EOD Operators during their Military careers, the only Tech I's I saw were working in Iraq as Ammo 'Handlers' and also on the contract in the States but they were very limited in what they were allowed to do, especially on the Corps of Engineers contracts, it's a very good system and a great starting block for anyone wanting to progress through the Tech Levels but you have to be in progressive work as they class 3 years (needed to progress to Tech II) as actually 3 solid years doing UXO clearance rather than 3 years since your course completion date, if you PM me I can give your contact details to the booty in question, he may have even got part of it paid through Pre Release but don't quote me on that!

I have no idea what Quals the ISSEE award successful candidates but it probably qualifies you to be a member of a clearance team, possibly as a Searcher for example on one of 33's Outstation Teams; but if Rickshaw has good words to say about it then it must be worth the time, effort and money as ATO's don't generally back something like that unless it does what it says on the label, so give them a call!

Gundulph:

It's clear from the post that you have a lot more knowledge of the EOD world than me. Glad to see you adding to the info getting to Sappagirl. As to Texas (TEEX) I have not been there but was of the impression that it was primarily WMD oriented as opposed to explosives. I have made a couple of trips to Alabama (I presume you mean CDP at site formerly known as Ft. McClellan) but it has been 2 years since the last trip.

CDP in Alabama focuses on Chem agents and touches on bio and radiological. It is, I believe, the only place in the US where non-military train with live nerve agent. Great place, great instructors, only down side is the blood draws each AM between 0545 and 0600. Lovely way to start your day.

Based on what appears to be your line of work, STAY SAFE!!.
(I know all caps is shouting but so many EOD types have poor hearing for some reason)

Sappagirl: From the name I presume you are female. Don't let gender issues deter you. i was at a large 3 day conference last year and about 40 of the participants brought there sniffy dogs with them. Not sure why as the dogs were not taking any notes as far as I could see. Many of the LEO's with sniffy dogs were female. Also met a brilliant young female Special Agent for a federal agency who had two engineering degrees and was involved with the creation of the BlastFX software package. There are opportunities out there.. Go get training and keep the rest of us safe.

By the way, at the conference the dog people occupied their lunch time by borrowing suitcases and explosives from the host facility and having an informal contest. There was one beautiful English Springer bitch that was so smart you would wonder if she knew 3 languages and could do calculus also. Amazing dog! Great fun to watch.

DavidBOC,

I doubt that mate, the EOD World is a big place! I've been lucky enough to work with various U.S. Companies as well as EOD lads from many different Countries as well as Eastern Bloc EOD lads.

The Texas A&M Course is an EOD Course teaching the basics thus qualifying people at Tech I Level, I believe the CoE doesn't like the term EOD Tech for civilians so they class them as UXO Tech I,II,III - UXO Supervisor (SUXOS) - UXO Safety. The beauty of getting qualified in the States is there are a reputed 10,000+ areas that require clearance!

I thought Chemical was restricted to your Aberdeen Training ground, we also found a few untoward items on the Range we were clearing, that initiated a visit from certain strange characters in shades!!! 8) 8) 8)

Edited to say: I forgot to say - You can shove your Live Nerve! and Keep your Leak/Seal/Packaging it aint nice and it aint clever... especially when you are still somewhere over the hotline and you are beginning to resemble a Vaccum packed product!