Civ Pol medical / fitness / vetting

First post so please be nice.

Decided to get out earlier this year and applied to the police. I then got dicked with a short notice posting overseas.

I have now passed the police recruitment process. They know I am in the Forces and their HR is currently looking to see if they can short circuit any of the medical / fitness / vetting as a result. Basically not duplicating paperwork if we don't need to.

I am developed vetting with 4 years to run on it. I have never had any medical or fitness issues.

Anyone done the military to police route recently? Is it possible to transfer medical / fitness / vetting without having to start from scratch with the police? I am obviously not keen on completing paperwork in triplicate and attending medicals in the UK as I am posted overseas at the moment and it's a load of hassle if I can just get stuff ported over by the Med Centre or Occupational Health Unit.

Thanks for any help.

Decided to get out earlier this year and applied to the police. I then got dicked with a short notice posting overseas.

I have now passed the police recruitment process. They know I am in the Forces and their HR is currently looking to see if they can short circuit any of the medical / fitness / vetting as a result. Basically not duplicating paperwork if we don't need to.

I am developed vetting with 4 years to run on it. I have never had any medical or fitness issues.

Anyone done the military to police route recently? Is it possible to transfer medical / fitness / vetting without having to start from scratch with the police? I am obviously not keen on completing paperwork in triplicate and attending medicals in the UK as I am posted overseas at the moment and it's a load of hassle if I can just get stuff ported over by the Med Centre or Occupational Health Unit.

Thanks for any help.
The DV is not difficult to transfer, the question is will your force pay any fees to transfer it, as you won't be using it straight away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DV is not difficult to transfer, the question is will your force pay any fees to transfer it, as you won't be using it straight away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're not in a DV post (you won't be) can't see them sponsoring it. You probably just need a basic check. So shouldn't be an issue. Med records no different than as if you had a GP.
fitness test can't believe that they won't want to make you do one under their supervision.

Depends on the force in question. I had a gap, so wasn't going straight across. Vetting - I still had valid NATO clearances but Civpol were not interested. Their vetting can be a bit weird - deactivate your Facebook, delete your twitter and Linked in accounts. According to a source in my own force's HR dept, well over half of applicants fail vetting and almost 90% of these are down to social media!

There is a medical questionnaire to fill in [for which my GP kindly charged me £40] I also provided Occ Health with my med notes [they already had them as I was a Special] and they quizzed me in detail about two aspects - a case of depression [treated and recovered] and the state of my knees . In the end neither was an issue.

Fitness - the police standard is 5.4 on the bleep test which is not going to cause any problems. The push/pull test was binned a couple of years ago [Police Scotland and MoD Plod have a higher test standard]

Different forces different vetting, fitness. Ours is Level 7 min and PCA look on you tube , obstacle course circuit and CT vetting. Was also DV, Cosmic TS etc but not relevant to Police. Medical yep so they don’t get blamed for an old or existing injuries (knees, back etc).

Thanks for any help.
DV should satisfy the security element of vetting for service in the civilian police, but it's important to consider that there is a police vetting element that takes into account other factors. Expect a long wait, particularly if you have extensive address history.

Unfortunately, my experience is that 43 forces aren’t even compatible when transferring between them. Some courses recognised some not, vetting is area specific as well, related to your family ties in a region etc.

Don’t expect any short cuts.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I moved across straight from. As I've said before, anything you've learned or qualified in, and your DV most likely won't count for anything. Be prepared to give it all up and forget it. Also, vetting levels aren't generic, they are role specific, so you won't have any use for your DV in the police.

They should also make you do your fitness / medical again, as they're accepting responsibility for you and so they will want to ascertain by their own standards that you're fit when joining, otherwise they leave themselves open.

From my personal experience, of which I fought long and hard to make it easy on myself, be prepared for them to tell you no, you do it our way or you don't get in.

I actually lied to them, as they wouldn't even give me an interview unless I'd started the termination process, so I told them I had. Then I passed the final interview, was accepted, and told the army that I needed an immediate release, which they granted.

DV is used in civpol, but as a recruit you will have no need for it and it will expire, timed out, before you reach a suitable role. Besides CTC, SC, SC+ and DV, there is a second, role-specific, vetting string which tests for risks different to the above and can be just as intrusive, pernickety and slow. DV tells that you probably won't sell technology to the Koreans, in-house vetting that you probably won't sell your left-over steroids down the gym.

I know of an officer who passed his vetting but due to a relative cannot work in a certain town in the Force Area. It’s area and family specific in many cases.

Notifiable associations - son was the licensee of the roughest boozer in town, so he had to go before the courts often for licensing, extensions, etc. I was happy to accept a lawful order never to go near or have anything to do with the damn place.