City Poppy Collection 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Joker62, Oct 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In past years, there has been a massive Poppy Collection in the City, has a date been decided for this year or is it a non runner?
  2. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

3. I was on that one last year. Unfortunately I should be on a 2 week Course so will be doing Remembrance day and fundraising with the Battalion. That said it's a great day, the people you meet are lovely and an even better evening in Leadenhall Street. The amount of £20's and even £50's that went into the buckets that day wanted me to kick Banker Bashers in the nads.
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Joker - it is on, and will be bigger than ever.

65 stations, numerous bands, military wives choir, a Spitfire in Covent Garden and around 1000 service personnel plus ex-services with a whopping £1m target for the day. Servicemen in uniform collecting on the day travel for free on London transport.

I will be at the usual station and welcoming all help. If anyone wants to offer their services please PM me and I will be happy to put you in touch with the relevant station commander.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Duke- I notice they're not doing Putney Railway station. Far more action than East Putney. If you're in touch with those I/C suggest that one. I did Moorgate last year, wasn't bad at all.
  6. Cheers everyone, I now work in Canary Wharf so might go collecting there and join in the festivities in Leadenhall in the afternoon and evening. Boss is ex Guards and have seen the Poppy boxes in his office.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I will mention it to them, but to be honest I suspect they will be covering Putney. We tend to take a fairly loose interpretation of what is meant by "2 collectors at the station" and mission command is very much the order of the day!
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I don't have them with me at the moment but will PM you the email details of the station commander so he can add you to the list.

9. Cheers, Your Grace.
  10. I could be up for this too
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The general out line is to be at your chosen station no later than 0700 to cover the 0700 - 0900 rush hour. You can then head off to work if needed. There are events going on all over London but the main focus areas for lunchtime are Leadenhall Market in the City and Covent Garden where there will be bands and entertainment. Collectors are back to their stations for 1700 - 1900 and then head to eaither Leadenhall or CG for a social afterwards and to watch as the count comes in. A lot of people make a whole day of the collecting, and just head back after 1900.

The final numbers numbers come in later the next day because there is so much to count, but there are additional counting stations this year and we should be getting updates every 2 hours. We also have Barclaycard proximity payment and Chip and Pin terminals this year so a lack of cash is no excuse!

Dress is uniform if serving or suit, Regtl tie and medals if not.
  12. They'll love that on the Wharf, hahahaha !!

Mac, if you are coming, you can stay at mine for the two nights.
  13. I'd be taking the time off work to be heading down to the slums from the bright lights of MK so would be tin rattling all day probably.
    Is it ok if my medal tally is not in the plurals? Just one single solitary little swinger.

Might just take you up on the offer Joker
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I couldn't care less if you are wearing a neatly pressed milk bottle lid as long as you are there rattling a collection bucket!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I took SG to it last year and all she had was an "If lost, please return to asylum" badge on.
    (And yes, she will kill me for that)